Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending Dawn O4

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i just hated how they called in a remake and it bore no resemblance except the fact it was in a mall.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post

I feel nostalgia for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater as well. It was released in the same year as DOTD '04. Is this as far-fetched to comprehend? What about Bat Out Of Hell 3? It came out in '07, and it still brings me back 3 years.
    Anyone who mentions Meat Loaf for the awesomeness that he is gets my thumbs up approval of welcoming. I understand what you mean by "nostalgia" but a film being less than a decade old seems a bit premature for it for many of us here. Yes, we all change from year to year -- but when I use the word nostalgia I'm referring to something when I was little (25 or so years ago) or at least 20 years ago at a minimum. I think what others are saying here is that something 5-6 years old doesn't really qualify in usage of the word "nostalgia" as the correct word. Respect, admiration, etc., perhaps... but nostalgia is like an antique car, you have to wait at least 20 years to really use the word.

So far everyone missed my point. This is the FIRST zombie movie I've ever seen. How wouldn't that be life-changing? I love zombie flicks, they're my favorite. Isn't everyone's first viewing of a zombie flick 'captivating?' And yes, it makes me nostalgic to think back to when I started my journey as a zombie fanatic.

I recognize the trash DOTD 04 is now that I've seen 80 or more other zombie movies, at least 50 - 55 of which I liked better. I thought the Slipknot analogy made that obvious enough, because that is garbage music if you wanna compare it to what I listen to now. (Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Savatage, etc.) But there is MUCH worse out there. And at least the movie is meant to be cheesy fun, instead of self-important like the 28 Days / Weeks movies. (And I KNOW, they're infected, not undead. I know this.)

Talk about wrong impressions. I own a good 30 - 40 zombie movies, and this ain't one of 'em.
    Good post, Jon. DOTD '04 is ** NOT ** trash. It's a fairly damn enjoyable action flick if you ask me. It's worth watching and I own it on DVD and regularly check it out. If you want to see absolute shit, check out something by Mattei or Fragasso (I'd throw Fulci in that mix too but others here would attempt to stone me for saying it -- Fulci at least has awesome gore even if his plots are a bit silly).

You always hold a special respect (eh, it's just that word nostalgia, dude....ehh... too premature...) and admiration for the first girl you were ever with, the first really great horror film that scared the shit out of you, and the first time you saw a film in a genre that really got you into it as well.

Eh, whatever else... you have a great choice in music. Savatage, wow, now that brings back memories... I say we should crank up some Steinman to that and lift our beer into a "Salut!"...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    whoa whoa whoa whoa, Dawn 04 isn't trash.

At any rate, welcome to the boards.
    Thanks for the welcome. And I'd call Dawn '04 trash when comparing it to the original. But that isn't to say I didn't enjoy it. I think calling it "Dawn of the Dead" was the biggest mistake they made with the movie. But if they didn't call it that, people would see it as a rip-off, unless the setting was changed.

Undisclosed
    Dawn 04: first zombie movie...what would that be like? I am actually glad to be old for once.

I think Night68 was first for me, then Return, then I had to buy Dawn and Day on VHS cause they wouldn't show them on TV. Return II makes me nostalgic for the late 80s. I hope that dude comes through with his 5.1 laserdisc audio mix.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    Dawn 04: first zombie movie...what would that be like? I am actually glad to be old for once.

I think Night68 was first for me, then Return, then I had to buy Dawn and Day on VHS cause they wouldn't show them on TV. Return II makes me nostalgic for the late 80s. I hope that dude comes through with his 5.1 laserdisc audio mix.
    It wasn't the very first. I'm pretty sure I saw a good portion of Return of the Living Dead on TV when I was really young, just not old enough to be more than a distant, faded memory. I also felt like I had seen Day of the Dead before when I watched it for the first time.

Super Moderator

United States
    This recent spate of posts is dumbfounding.

I often saw things as being nostalgic when I was in my teens and early 20s and look back now uncomprehending of how the few years between those disconnected times in my life could had been enough to foster a sense of nostalgia, when--for me--it still feels like it should be the year 2,000 or when I see a tshirt come out of the washing machine that I have literally owned for 20 years (it still look pretty good too ).

Is it easy to lose sight of what earlier childhood looks like to an adolescent or recent post-adolescent? I guess it can be for Mike

Welcome Jon.

PS--Dawn '04 was good fun.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 17-May-2010 at 03:25 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So far everyone missed my point. This is the FIRST zombie movie I've ever seen. How wouldn't that be life-changing? I love zombie flicks, they're my favorite. Isn't everyone's first viewing of a zombie flick 'captivating?' And yes, it makes me nostalgic to think back to when I started my journey as a zombie fanatic.

I recognize the trash DOTD 04 is now that I've seen 80 or more other zombie movies, at least 50 - 55 of which I liked better. I thought the Slipknot analogy made that obvious enough, because that is garbage music if you wanna compare it to what I listen to now. (Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Savatage, etc.) But there is MUCH worse out there. And at least the movie is meant to be cheesy fun, instead of self-important like the 28 Days / Weeks movies. (And I KNOW, they're infected, not undead. I know this.)

Talk about wrong impressions. I own a good 30 - 40 zombie movies, and this ain't one of 'em.

Don't listen to these knuckleheads.

DAWN 04 is a decent zombie flick, and it deserves the praise it gets and it did open a lot of doors to new zombie film fans.

These old time members, much like myself, have a soft spot for Romero's original work, as do I, but don't really care for the reamkes or newer stuff. I tend to be a little more open minded about them, but I also note the 04 version doesn't come close to the original.

However, welcome to the boards, and just don't take anything anyone here says to heart. They always get a kick out of busting the balls on the new people who show up. Once you jump into some zombie discussions, they will pop their dentures back out, sit back down in the rocking chair and have a friendly chat.

Welcome and Enjoy the site.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If one is in the mood for some decent braindead action, Dawn 04 is your film.

Dying

United States
    Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

I'm not saying this movie is complete trash; more around the 40% - 60% region. The good is really good, but a lot of it feels like a high-budgeted TV drama, and other times like a MTV music video. But there are some really great parts. (I love the celebrity sniper scene, in particular.)

Perhaps 'nostalgic' would be a term better suited to a time when I was shitting my pants and playing Super Nintendo regularly. All the same, I feel like a lot has changed since then. I guess since I graduated a few years after it came out, and graduation was a few years ago itself, it seems like such a bigger span of time has passed. It really brings me back.

But, then again, I saw Shaun of the Dead ever after that, and whenever I watch that one I feel like its 2005 all over. I have so many great memories associated with these films.

(Also, as a future disclaimer, I will vehemently defend my opinions. But don't take anything negative seriously, as my style of ranting is very much influenced by Maddox, king of exaggerating.)

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Anyone who mentions Meat Loaf for the awesomeness that he is gets my thumbs up approval of welcoming

Eh, whatever else... you have a great choice in music. Savatage, wow, now that brings back memories... I say we should crank up some Steinman to that and lift our beer into a "Salut!"...

j.p.
    Savatage are amazing, wish I could've seen them lived before Jon went off and started the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

And Meat Loaf I got the chance to see live twice. Funny story, actually, I sung him off stage. There was a point when the band got really quiet in a breakdown, and Meat Loaf was singing one of his repetitive sections, trying to get the audience to sing. Being pretty close to the stage and a musician myself, I show off my pipes, singing along, loud enough for A LOT of people to hear me because he was offering the mic to the crowd. Needless to say, Meat Loaf and the entire band left the stage right after I finished belting out the line, and the stage lights went down for a good 15 seconds. I stood up and raised my arms defiantly, until the lights and music came back on in a split-second, with the band appearing back on stage.

It was a hilarious moment, needless to say.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    This recent spate of posts is dumbfounding.

I often saw things as being nostalgic when I was in my teens and early 20s and look back now uncomprehending of how the few years between those disconnected times in my life could had been enough to foster a sense of nostalgia, when--for me--it still feels like it should be the year 2,000 or when I see a tshirt come out of the washing machine that I have literally owned for 20 years (it still look pretty good too ).

Is it easy to lose sight of what earlier childhood looks like to an adolescent or recent post-adolescent? I guess it can be for Mike

Welcome Jon.

PS--Dawn '04 was good fun.

IMO, you're nostalgic for great times in your life whther that be two years ago or 20.

Shit, I wish I could go back to 08' right now.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Like I'm nostalgic for pre-2004 when I was looking forward to both a remake of Dawn of the Dead and a new Romero movie Land of the Dead. Such fond memories of thinking I had great things to look forward to. It was like having a reason to live.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Like I'm nostalgic for pre-2004 when I was looking forward to both a remake of Dawn of the Dead and a new Romero movie Land of the Dead. Such fond memories of thinking I had great things to look forward to. It was like having a reason to live.
    I was thinking about this the other day while listening to DJ and Lou's EPIC commentary.

This place was booming with fanboy anticipation once Dead Reckoning was announced. If I remember correctly it was first called DR, anyway.

That was an exciting time. Now the last two films have passed by like a fart in the wind. The excitement died...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day while listening to DJ and Lou's EPIC commentary.

This place was booming with fanboy anticipation once Dead Reckoning was announced. If I remember correctly it was first called DR, anyway.

That was an exciting time. Now the last two films have passed by like a fart in the wind. The excitement died...
    Farts everywhere are offended as we speak.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    I'm a shameless "Dawn 04" fan boi!

It was a highly enjoyable zombie romp and I won't hear a word said against Sarah Polley.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I'm a shameless "Dawn 04" fan boi!

It was a highly enjoyable zombie romp and I won't hear a word said against Sarah Polley.

You can't fault anyone for their preferences. I for one can't fathom how one can sit through land but I don't knock anyone for it.

That being said, I'm right there with you. Love that damn flick. It's one of those films that whenever it comes on cable I'll watch it despite owning the blu ray.