Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending Dawn O4

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Number View Post
    How exactly does it "update a classic"? It doesn't even have the same plot, characters or general vibe. The only reason it's considered a remake is that it uses the same name. Dysfunctional of the Dead is more like it.

WN

When you learn more about the entertainment biz... then re-ask yourself the question you just asked me because frankly I am not going to explain it.

But I probably should because you were moronic enough to ask it.

It Updates it because during the entire PR campaign the film was marketed as a remake. Every site every news outlet referred to it as the Update to the 1978 George A. Romero classic... which is what it is... UPDATE is to change, make different while keep some things the same.

Since the original DAWN is a classic and this fim shares the name location and zombies, and was made 25 years after the original... it is an update to a classic.

Get it? or is all that Jersey pollution rottin your skull away?

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    As to the "next big zombie movie" and whether Hollywood can pull it off... I Am Legend and 28 Days/Weeks all prove that the movie industry *could* make the next great zombie movie. These movies all tickle our zombie itch, but they just fail on some crucial points. Mostly the bias for action over character interaction and setting. But you can't look at 28 Weeks or Legend and think they missed the mark on scope of problem or capturing the claustrophobic nature. They had plenty of infected in each movie. They very convincingly depicted a widespread problem.
    Agreed, they are EPIC in nature... just short on Zombies and some other stuff. I am Legend was really nice. Take the CG Hemocrytes out and replace with zombies and you would have had a winner.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 22-Jul-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    They should have taken a toy helicopter (there must have been one in the mall somewhere, it's a mall, there's gotta be a toy shop) and helicoptered him a sandwich.
    That has to be the funniest (and most true) thing I've read in relation to Dawn04. Good one, MZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    where in the hell is that beating a dead horse gif at?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 22-Jul-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    When you learn more about the entertainment biz... then re-ask yourself the question you just asked me because frankly I am not going to explain it.

But I probably should because you were moronic enough to ask it.

It Updates it because during the entire PR campaign the film was marketed as a remake. Every site every news outlet referred to it as the Update to the 1978 George A. Romero classic... which is what it is... UPDATE is to change, make different while keep some things the same.

Since the original DAWN is a classic and this fim shares the name location and zombies, and was made 25 years after the original... it is an update to a classic.

Get it? or is all that Jersey pollution rottin your skull away?
    Excuse me, I had no idea we had an entertainment "biz" expert on the forums. Gigglesnort "entertainment biz"....you're adorable.

Let me put it simpler: Because something says it's an updated version of something does not make it one. The real answer as to why they called it Dawn of the Dead was to capitalize on the name of the original and to sucker all the fans of it into thinking they actually were doing an update. Basically, an advertising ploy.

They showed the first ten minutes of the film on TV before the release for the same reason. Unfortunately, that was the best part of the movie and really imo, the only part worth watching.

WN

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    People want the doom and gloom of the zombie genre, which is why every zombie fan agrees the first 10 minutes of Dawn 04 is some great stuff, but, feel it falls apart when they get in the mall.
    I'd like to add to that.

Another thing was the epic scope. We briefly saw what was happening in other places.

If someone did something epic like that, say in a War of the World's sort of way, it would be the greatest thing we've ever seen.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Let me put it simpler: Because something says it's an updated version of something does not make it one. The real answer as to why they called it Dawn of the Dead was to capitalize on the name of the original and to sucker all the fans of it into thinking they actually were doing an update. Basically, an advertising ploy.
    I see both sides of this debate. Wrong_Number is right in everything said here.

But to DJ's point, it is still an update. Maybe a sucky update in some people's opinions, but it is an update. It does share a lot of similarities to the original. Consider this - if it weren't named Dawn of the Dead people would be claiming it was a rip-off.

I disagree with DJ that the name and marketing campaign is enough to qualify as an update. I think the Day remake is legitimate proof of this. Or maybe it's simply evidence that an update can fall so remarkably short of the original that it's an abomination to the entertainment biz and those wonderfully modest people who understand it.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Super Moderator

United States
    I grow tired of this argument about how many Zack Snyders can dance on the head of a pin. Everyone knows the answer is how big the SFX budget is.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 06-Aug-2010 at 03:54 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I grow tired of this argument about how many Zack Snyders can dance on the head of a pin. Everyone knows the answer is how big the SFX budget is.
    Waterwolrd anyone?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Great Britain

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I fail to see the misunderstanding in this "update" issue. Whether you like the film or not, it is an update of an older concept. Everything juiced up for the ADD kiddies, teenage characters, run run run, etc.

Everything about Dawn04 is an update for today's audiences. So even if you hate the film, you can't deny that it is in fact an update. Not meaning to hate on the flick because my opinion on it has changed over the years, but it's true.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Waterwolrd anyone?

That was on tele a few weeks ago...I quite enjoyed it...Dennis Hopper was epic.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    I wonder if the dude, who started this thread on his first day on the forums, way back on the 1st of August, 2006, has any idea it's still plodding on.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I wonder if the dude, who started this thread on his first day on the forums, way back on the 1st of August, 2006, has any idea it's still plodding on.
    Probably not, he was probably one of the lucky ones to meet the 2006 Welcoming Committee that ran off anyone who didn't port over from the other boards.

My my my, how territorial us alpha males can get.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Probably not, he was probably one of the lucky ones to meet the 2006 Welcoming Committee that ran off anyone who didn't port over from the other boards.

My my my, how territorial us alpha males can get.
    I must have gotten on you guy's good side because i joined a month before he did and I'm still here.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I fail to see the misunderstanding in this "update" issue. Whether you like the film or not, it is an update of an older concept. Everything juiced up for the ADD kiddies, teenage characters, run run run, etc.

Everything about Dawn04 is an update for today's audiences. So even if you hate the film, you can't deny that it is in fact an update. Not meaning to hate on the flick because my opinion on it has changed over the years, but it's true.
    On the contrary, I can disagree

Dawn '04 did not have:

- the same characters

- the same plot

- the same vibe

- the same "message" (or any for that matter)

- the same type of "monsters"

It's not a remake or update. If you want to say "loosely based on ideas from Dawn of the Dead" OK, maybe I can buy that.

I was actually very open to an update to Dawn since, let's face it, it has parts that are very dated like the arcade scene or the high end equipment Steve is so in love with, but Dawn '04 was not that.

WN

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    On the contrary, I can disagree

Dawn '04 did not have:

- the same characters

- the same plot

- the same vibe

- the same "message" (or any for that matter)

- the same type of "monsters"

It's not a remake or update. If you want to say "loosely based on ideas from Dawn of the Dead" OK, maybe I can buy that.

I was actually very open to an update to Dawn since, let's face it, it has parts that are very dated like the arcade scene or the high end equipment Steve is so in love with, but Dawn '04 was not that.

WN
    It's like a movie that starts and says based on the novel ___________. (fill in the blank).

You know it has something to do with the book but don't expect a shot for shot retelling.