Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Defending Dawn O4

United States
    I agree with all your thoughts on running zombies, jp.

I wonder... how do you see the Infected in 28 Days/Weeks Later? Are they a different creature and thus subject to a different set of criteria for love/hate? Or are they just a running zombie in a thin disguise, with all the same deficits? In practical terms they are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I'll take zombie baby over Big Daddy any day of the week.
    What an interestingly horrible choice. I hate zombie baby. I only dislike Big Daddy. But zombie baby is only a small piece of the movie and not crucial to any plot points, so it's reasonably easy to ignore. BD is pretty much in your face the whole movie and is fundamental not only to the plot progression but to the evolution of the zombies. You just can't ignore it in any capacity.

I would choose zombie baby over Big Daddy too. *waits for Andy*
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I would choose zombie baby over Big Daddy too. *waits for Andy*
    We had our fun in the other topic, im gonna let the dawn haters have their fun here

The defense of dawn'04 obviously overwhelmed them and made the find another topic to bitch in

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I just watched Land! So... yeah, they're both good movies.
    I prefer the one with skateboarding, of course.
    Hey, does this mean skateboarding isn't hip and edgy anymore, since it was in Romero's movie, but not Snyder's?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    they're both good movies.
    I agree, more or less. I actually enjoy Dawn '04 more than Land, but a lot of the internal consistency complaints about Land are bogus, if you ask me.

I prefer the one with skateboarding, of course.
    Even though they didn't do his character justice? Guess they had to fill their victim quota

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Ok guys, seriously… We could go back and forth with this a million times, a million different ways. Some of us like the slow zombies and others enjoy the fast running, crazed, animalistic zombies. I happen to like them both and I don't have any issues with being able to fully enjoy both scenarios to the fullest!

I don't have any hang ups about which zombie would be more realistic other than to say that obviously, if we're talking about the undead and not some rage infected or rabies infected living monsters like in 28 days Later, the true undead would most likely be really slow and lumbering like the GAR types.

I believe that if you look at the physics of the whole thing, the deteriorating flesh and muscle and stiffened joints would cause them to be very slow and probably weak. Plus the reanimated brain is supposedly dumb since it’s only active in the smallest area of the brain to give them basic movement and instincts. (This is all assuming you could believe the dead could actually come back to life in the first place, which most people can't quite talk themselves into believing anyway). Having said that, I love to bounce from one zombie movie to the next, looking at each scenario from a different standpoint and enjoying them for what they are.

GAR films are fun and they are great stories because yes, you feel sad for the loved ones who have come back as the undead and really for all of the zombies because they are so pathetic and you feel awful that you have to kill them to keep them from eating you etc, and all the social and moral issues that GAR brings up are all great stories for us to chew on... However, I also like to watch fast zombie movies like Dawn '04 for a completely different feel of the whole Zed apocalypse scenario.

I mean seriously, it is totally scary on a whole other level to know that when you step out the door and are spotted by the crazed zeds, they are going to rush you and come from every angle, all at once to try and rip you to pieces. I mean, you’d have to think super fast and be light on your feet to survive in a world like that. So, yeah, it's freakin scary to think of the zombie apoc in those terms and really allow yourself to become saturated into that scenario and think of how you'd react and how you'd survive.

And again, it's also really a scary concept in the GAR zombie scenario too, that although slow and dumb, those zombies are "coming to get you Barbara!" and they are creeping around outside of your farmhouse in the shadows.

Also, on the movie making styles themselves? Let's just say this... if you like the low budget, bad acting, terrible special effects, movies for what they are because you enjoy the feel of it, that's great...I do too for many reasons but, if you want to talk about realism? Please... for entertainment purposes the better special effects and realism and wayyyyy better acting goes to Dawn '04. Don't get me wrong people, I'm a huge GAR fan and I too love those films and they put me in a cool, funky zed mood, but they don't hold a candle to the explosive and awesome power that Snyder's film has… Just sayin.
    Last edited by glazedoverdead; 11-Aug-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: grammer
    Now, if you want to have a good time and you need some p@*$y...you can cut that chicken's head off...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by glazedoverdead View Post
    Ok guys, seriously… We could go back and forth with this a million times, a million different ways. Some of us like the slow zombies and others enjoy the fast running, crazed, animalistic zombies. I happen to like them both and I don't have any issues with being able to fully enjoy both scenarios to the fullest!

I don't have any hang ups about which zombie would be more realistic other than to say that obviously, if we're talking about the undead and not some rage infected or rabies infected living monsters like in 28 days Later, the true undead would most likely be really slow and lumbering like the GAR types.

I believe that if you look at the physics of the whole thing, the deteriorating flesh and muscle and stiffened joints would cause them to be very slow and probably weak. Plus the reanimated brain is supposedly dumb since it’s only active in the smallest area of the brain to give them basic movement and instincts. (This is all assuming you could believe the dead could actually come back to life in the first place, which most people can't quite talk themselves into believing anyway). Having said that, I love to bounce from one zombie movie to the next, looking at each scenario from a different standpoint and enjoying them for what they are.

GAR films are fun and they are great stories because yes, you feel sad for the loved ones who have come back as the undead and really for all of the zombies because they are so pathetic and you feel awful that you have to kill them to keep them from eating you etc, and all the social and moral issues that GAR brings up are all great stories for us to chew on... However, I also like to watch fast zombie movies like Dawn '04 for a completely different feel of the whole Zed apocalypse scenario.

I mean seriously, it is totally scary on a whole other level to know that when you step out the door and are spotted by the crazed zeds, they are going to rush you and come from every angle, all at once to try and rip you to pieces. I mean, you’d have to think super fast and be light on your feet to survive in a world like that. So, yeah, it's freakin scary to think of the zombie apoc in those terms and really allow yourself to become saturated into that scenario and think of how you'd react and how you'd survive.

And again, it's also really a scary concept in the GAR zombie scenario too, that although slow and dumb, those zombies are "coming to get you Barbara!" and they are creeping around outside of your farmhouse in the shadows.

Also, on the movie making styles themselves? Let's just say this... if you like the low budget, bad acting, terrible special effects, movies for what they are because you enjoy the feel of it, that's great...I do too for many reasons but, if you want to talk about realism? Please... for entertainment purposes the better special effects and realism and wayyyyy better acting goes to Dawn '04. Don't get me wrong people, I'm a huge GAR fan and I too love those films and they put me in a cool, funky zed mood, but they don't hold a candle to the explosive and awesome power that Snyder's film has… Just sayin.
    Oh. My. God.
    That AND awesome power in the same sentence as Snyder's film. That hack hasn't made a single film in his career!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Kris is right!
    Snyder just remakes films or uses someone else's material for his films!
    I wonder if he has an original thought in his head.
    Anyway, yeah, Mouse could've had more of a character, but he's still cool!
    Gets a pet rat before he's eaten, etc.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Oh. My. God.
    That AND awesome power in the same sentence as Snyder's film. That hack hasn't made a single film in his career!
    It makes me laugh that glazedoverdead makes a really good post, with interesting points and without attacking anyone or either movie, and this is your comeback.

And at the same time you say the defenders of dawn'04 are the stupid ones

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It makes me laugh that glazedoverdead makes a really good post, with interesting points and without attacking anyone or either movie, and this is your comeback.

And at the same time you say the defenders of dawn'04 are the stupid ones
    Nope. Never said that.
    And most of that post was indeed quite well put. Just those final few sentences...
    BTW I can enjoy parts of Dawn04, like I said countless tomes before; as a dumb but fun action flick; nothing more.

Administrator

England
    Oh well sorry, someone said that and i thought it was you lol

Thats exactly what dawn'04 is, thats what i was trying to say in the other topic, im not a snyder fan, i hate most of his movies like i hate alot of modern movies, but dawn'04 is a good old fashioned dumb, have a beer and mong out action movie, it has its stupid parts of course it does, but cut it abit of slack and its entertaining enough.

Land on the other hand which is what we were comparing it to, is not enjoyable to me and to several others on here, its a pretentious contradictary peice of trash, romero has lost sight of what people want to see and got tied up in stupid effects, a lame story and overbearing in your face social commentry that makes no sense in the context of the movie hes making. and thats me cutting it slack

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    BTW I can enjoy parts of Dawn04, like I said countless tomes before; as a dumb but fun action flick; nothing more.
    What's interesting is that I enjoy "Dawn '04" as an action flick with some 'zombies' but I don't think anyone would classify it as a "Great" film by a long shot even if enjoyable, but the sad matter of the fact is that it's far better with all its faults than Romero's last three films (except maybe "Diary" in my opinion when I rather enjoyed)!

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    I think everyone is basically making good and valid points. Dawn '04 is a fun zombie action movie if you take it for what it is. Whether you accept the idea of running zombies or not Dawn '04 is a good execution of them. If you don't try to judge it in terms of atmospheric horror, intricate plot, or social commentary it'll do okay. It's an action flick with zombies. Grab some popcorn. Fast forward through the zombie baby scene. Watch the pretty explosions. In those terms it's a nice way to spend 90 minutes.

Thinking through the movie, I'd say if anything was original it was the use of the dog as a transport mechanism. I know I criticize dog-girl-rescue as being the ultimate in stupid... but the premise of using the dog ... I think I'm pretty okay with that. I wish they'd have thought through the dog retrieval on Andy's side a bit better. But I might've gone with that plan in their situation.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Snyder just remakes films or uses someone else's material for his films!
    I wonder if he has an original thought in his head.
    He is working on one right now, it's currently in pre-production.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    He is working on one right now, it's currently in pre-production.
    He's filming Superman right now, isn't he? Although Sucker Punch was his script, I believe.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    He's filming Superman right now, isn't he? Although Sucker Punch was his script, I believe.
    Sorry, I was not referring to actual projects, rather the concept of original thought from Snyder. Humor failure on my part, I'm afraid.