United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinFromHell

RUBENSTEIN: Reinvisioning.
    SNYDER: Deal.
    No
    REIMAGINING

Super Moderator

UK
    I've read he's up to do Watchmen next (by the same bloke as V For Vendetta? ... a good idea that will most likely suck in movie form) and he's also up for a ... get this ... Rainbow Six movie. So what can we expect? SWAT: 2? Oh dear ... oh dear.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    NIGHT=Racism, Vietnam, the whole sixties mess
    (I think it may have been here on homepage of the dead) I watched a streaming interview with Romero from some BBC network and he said he never even thought about the actor who played ben being black and he wasn't trying to make a statement about racism. Isn't that right? Anyone else seen it?
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by radiokill
    (I think it may have been here on homepage of the dead) I watched a streaming interview with Romero from some BBC network and he said he never even thought about the actor who played ben being black and he wasn't trying to make a statement about racism. Isn't that right? Anyone else seen it?
    He said it wasn't wriiten for a black man, but a white truckdriver. They were all aware of the implications, but decided to stick to the script. Duane Jones had a real problem smacking Barbara. He had good reasons to worry because it was a first. Duane happened to be the best actor out of all his friends.
    GAR did say the movie was about a revolutionary culture. The new overwhelming and submerging the old.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    I've read he's up to do Watchmen next (by the same bloke as V For Vendetta? ... a good idea that will most likely suck in movie form)
    If theres a good script...maybe. Watchmen is about human interaction and subtlety, so it maynot be the best project for Snyder (to put it mildly). His track record for that is Nil
    Last edited by coma; 08-Aug-2006 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Same with DAWN and consumerism. He never intended to have these messages in them, but they're still there. Accidental genius maybe?

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Same with DAWN and consumerism. He never intended to have these messages in them, but they're still there. Accidental genius maybe?
    possibly!

I've been trying to write a zombie script and trying to give it the depth and meaning i want seems effing impossible....or maybe i just blow
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Australia
    Oh, from what I've seen and read, he seems fully aware of those implications and always has been. It was very intentional, even though it may not have been his only intention.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

United States
    possibly!

I've been trying to write a zombie script and trying to give it the depth and meaning i want seems effing impossible....or maybe i just blow
    Hove have to use yourself and your concerns as a subtext. Fears, hopes, tragedies, anxiety. How people actually react. Natural dialouge (not just how YOU speak, the characters should each have there own voice) What is really imporatnt to you? for GAR it's lack of communication and the selfish, superficiality of man and the arrogance of power.
    For me, it's the threat of malevelant power of the petty to the authoritarian. Confusion in crisis and the futility of it all.
    What's your point of view on life? What story do you Need to tell? What do you love, hate? What aspect of human nature do you revere, revile the most?
    Wes Craven on last house on the left
    "Uh...I guess I was pretty f***ed up at the time."

Keep those in your head. Plot is important, but feeling is what really counts. plus some creative zombie action.
    I wrote a script I'm trying to make. It has..
    No heroes
    No guns (NONE)
    Claustrophobic.
    I'm dealing with a lot of bad sh*t in my life and I just vomited it on the pages. The unkown is out to get me and it can't be stopped and no one knows why
    and worse
    No one gives a crap.
    But that's my story.
    Whats YOU'RS?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Oh, from what I've seen and read, he seems fully aware of those implications and always has been. It was very intentional, even though it may not have been his only intention.
    He said on that horror movie moments countdown they had a year or so ago that it wasn't intended. And he said on one of the extras on Day of the Dead Divimax DVD, that he didn't realize all this commentary stuff about his movies until he started working on DAY, when he had a realization that he was making them every ten years or so and he should keep doing it, to sort of speak about the decade. But I have heard him say several times that the consumerism implications were unintentional. He's aware of it now, but it wasn't on his mind when he wrote it. He just got a cool idea when he was on a tour of Monroeville Mall. It came when he was showed the shelter, and the owner said could survive anything. Romero asked, what about a zombie epidemic? Then Dawn of the Dead is born. It was simple.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma
    Hove have to use yourself and your concerns as a subtext. Fears, hopes, tragedies, anxiety. How people actually react. Natural dialouge (not just how YOU speak, the characters should each have there own voice) What is really imporatnt to you? for GAR it's lack of communication and the selfish, superficiality of man and the arrogance of power.
    For me, it's the threat of malevelant power of the petty to the authoritarian. Confusion in crisis and the futility of it all.
    What's your point of view on life? What story do you Need to tell? What do you love, hate? What aspect of human nature do you revere, revile the most?
    Wes Craven on last house on the left
    "Uh...I guess I was pretty f***ed up at the time."

Keep those in your head. Plot is important, but feeling is what really counts. plus some creative zombie action.
    I wrote a script I'm trying to make. It has..
    No heroes
    No guns (NONE)
    Claustrophobic.
    I'm dealing with a lot of bad sh*t in my life and I just vomited it on the pages. The unkown is out to get me and it can't be stopped and no one knows why
    and worse
    No one gives a crap.
    But that's my story.
    Whats YOU'RS?
    very cool idea...I love the no guns/no heros concept

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a rhetorical question.....

but I'm concerned with how much people focus on themselves and being self-reliant and even in tyring to help others their true motivation (to some degree) is to feel better about themselves........and the satisfaction of accompishment.
    i also want to narrow the focus somewhat to Christians and how many of us are doing the same thing. Christians are supposed to rely on God and deny the self. However, I've seen many texts teaching tools lately that focus on believing in yourself and having faith in yourself....which is contradictory to the Bible.
    It's becoming increasingly difficult.
    So I will have what I'll call a pseudo-hero. Also, it will be set in the sticks, so there will be lots of guns.

United States
    very cool idea...I love the no guns/no heros concept

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a rhetorical question.....

but I'm concerned with how much people focus on themselves and being self-reliant and even in tyring to help others their true motivation (to some degree) is to feel better about themselves........and the satisfaction of accompishment.
    i also want to narrow the focus somewhat to Christians and how many of us are doing the same thing. Christians are supposed to rely on God and deny the self. However, I've seen many texts teaching tools lately that focus on believing in yourself and having faith in yourself....which is contradictory to the Bible.
    It's becoming increasingly difficult.
    So I will have what I'll call a pseudo-hero. Also, it will be set in the sticks, so there will be lots of guns.

Semi Rhetorical. Like what is important to you. I'm keeping the details of my story close until theres some real foward motion. The differences from most Zombie movies are pretty simple, but original and I'm afraid to get ripped.(It's happened plenty to me)
    Far as heroes, I have known few and never liked the superheroic types. I'm also bascially a city guy and have known way too many scumbags but yet have seen few guns. My story is all about city blocks. No cops, no soldiers, no Rambo supermen. I write about people I know. People who say they got your back and don't. Denail and short sightedness. Alienation. Definately not any kind of religion or supernatural stuff. I'm a skeptic so I cant have any kind of Godly type explanation or context. For you, the christian thing is your subtext. There are all kinds of Christian and I think anythibg too overt will turn it into a preachfest if you not careful. Notlem (german Zombie Movie) used it in a good way.
    Just sit at the typer and bang away at developing the story. Don't hide from your beliefs and write what YOU want to see. Y'know, I wish they did this in that movie, etc. Then do that.
    If somethings stupid, you always have the delete key.
    Many writers write scene ideas on index cards, then arrange them in an order they like. Easily editable outline from the pre comp days.

In all of my stories/scripts/Comics (I'm a busy guy. Busy going broke) I always use acutal events as a spring board. It happened to me, my friend, I heard about it. Use real bits of conversation I remember. It makes it natural and interesting. To me, telling a kind of truth is the only reason to do anything. I leave the total fantasy up to other people. Rather than the Sixth Grade "If I had a gun, It would be a gatling, and I would kill everybody and bang all the chicks", I think of what would actually happen. If a zombie came banging on my door, would I grab the AK (Obviously, NO) or would I run in circles, peek out the peephole grab a bat, more likely run away. Besides it's easier and cheaper and maybe even gorier to bash a head in with a bat than get gun filmshoot permits
    Last edited by coma; 08-Aug-2006 at 06:57 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma
    Semi Rhetorical. Like what is important to you. I'm keeping the details of my story close until theres some real foward motion. The differences from most Zombie movies are pretty simple, but original and I'm afraid to get ripped.(It's happened plenty to me)
    Far as heroes, I have known few and never liked the superheroic types. I'm also bascially a city guy and have known way too many scumbags but yet have seen few guns. My story is all about city blocks. No cops, no soldiers, no Rambo supermen. I write about people I know. People who say they got your back and don't. Denail and short sightedness. Alienation. Definately not any kind of religion or supernatural stuff. I'm a skeptic so I cant have any kind of Godly type explanation or context. For you, the christian thing is your subtext. There are all kinds of Christian and I think anythibg too overt will turn it into a preachfest if you not careful. Notlem (german Zombie Movie) used it in a good way.
    Just sit at the typer and bang away at developing the story. Don't hide from your beliefs and write what YOU want to see. Y'know, I wish they did this in that movie, etc. Then do that.
    If somethings stupid, you always have the delete key.
    Many writers write scene ideas on index cards, then arrange them in an order they like. Easily editable outline from the pre comp days.
    oh...it will be very subtle. no "preachfest"...just static characters and emphasis on dialogue.

United States
    oh...it will be very subtle. no "preachfest"...just static characters and emphasis on dialogue.
    You can use the zombies and your pro and antagonists as stand ins to sneak in the ideology/ponit of view.
    Last edited by coma; 08-Aug-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Australia
    He said on that horror movie moments countdown they had a year or so ago that it wasn't intended. And he said on one of the extras on Day of the Dead Divimax DVD, that he didn't realize all this commentary stuff about his movies until he started working on DAY, when he had a realization that he was making them every ten years or so and he should keep doing it, to sort of speak about the decade. But I have heard him say several times that the consumerism implications were unintentional. He's aware of it now, but it wasn't on his mind when he wrote it. He just got a cool idea when he was on a tour of Monroeville Mall. It came when he was showed the shelter, and the owner said could survive anything. Romero asked, what about a zombie epidemic? Then Dawn of the Dead is born. It was simple.
    I'll have to re-watch the AB DAY doco but he discusses his intentions for DAWN with Roy Frumkes in DOCUMENT OF THE DEAD and he comes across as being very aware of what he's depicting. The mall thing might have started off as a cool idea but I'd say it evolved beyond just that by the writing stage and very deliberately so.

I mean, its there in the scenes and it fully steers the narrative for the most part. In comparison to the remake which only fleetingly toys with the idea of such meaningless indulgeance in one scene (and plays it for pure fun much like 28 DAYS LATER with its brief shopping sequence) DAWN makes the consumerism bit its mantra. Afterall, the mall isn't the stereo-typical zombie film safehaven, in DAWN - its teeming with zombies and something that must be conquered. The characters don't want out, they want in and, perhaps most importantly, they want to stay.

That's the crux of the flick and not something I believe someone as intelligent and mindful as GAR could conjur without being fully aware of the connotations.

And doesn't he say in the AB DAWN doco something to the effect that he feels that not only are those themes present in the film but that he pretty much beats you over the head with them?

I think people attribute alot of their own nonsense to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Its structure is very functional and seems to be under little idealogical influence. I have no doubt, however, that DAWN OF THE DEAD is being steered with a very deliberate and purposeful hand.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    (and plays it for pure fun much like 28 DAYS LATER with its brief shopping sequence)
    damn, its a rare day when a romero fan compares dawn to 28 days later, though it does rock and it is a zombie film, but lets not start that again