Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending Dawn O4

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *ug* the zombie baby thing ... *sigh* ... as soon as I heard about that I just knew it was going to suck beanbag, and I don't understand some reviewers on TV that gave it good marks for having a zombie baby in it, like it was something never seen before ... err ... Braindead (aka Dead Alive) anybody? Do your damn research you Alex Zane type dimwit movie "reviewers", ya plonkers!
    As much as you may dislike that zombie baby, MZ, you have to admit it could have been a great deal worse. For example:

1. They could have had that damn thing up and running at people, like the kids going after Peter in the original. Consider yourself lucky it wasn't on it's feet and snarling. Would have been "interesting" (not in a good way) to have some character get infected by a newborn.

2. It could have burst out of Luda's stomach or chest, like in Alien. Alternatively, it could have "chewed" its way out.

Dead

Undisclosed

The runners screwed the remake's possibilities...

I wonder if the genius who came up with the brilliant idea for the "Vegetarian Zombie" got his inspiration from that zombie baby in Dawn 04'?

Dawn 04' had potential.....until I saw it. They could have done so much more with it:

1) Running zombies suck! They should have stuck to the 'normal' ones. It caused the movie to be too fast-paced, and just ruined it for me.

2) Zombie baby? Waste of f*cking time. Those wasted scenes took away valuable film time that could have been used on something else that was actually interesting. Personally, I would have rather seen that cute blonde gang raped or that old gay guy try on more women’s shoes.

3) They didn't have a helicopter in this one! I'm not sure what was worse, not having one in the Dawn' remake or GAR just not choosing to have one in LOTD. Maybe they could have made Ving a helicopter pilot?

4) Mall security guards acting tough....????? Give me a break, I'm surprised they were awake long enough to lock the doors to keep the runners out!

5) That being said, how the hell did the runners not break though the glass doors? Since, this version didn't have them place trucks in front of the entrances (i.e. no leverage....but zombies were stronger?)

But, what I think really limited the options of the movie, was the fact that the zombies were runners. Since they had 400lb men jumping hurdles & pole vaulting in front of the mall, there was only so much they could do with the story. Think about the original Dawn' and then substitute those fast bastards in place of the special olympic-Romero dead types. Roger would be killed while hot wiring that truck, Fran would be killed by the hands of that bald religious nut with the tambourine and Stephen would be killed in the utility room by the maintenance man. I think Peter would have been killed in Philly in the projects by those dead in a pile in the basement. If the movie even got that far.

If they would have just slowed those bastards down...think of the possibilities!!!??? Bottom line.....they f*ucked themselves!!!!

Super Moderator

UK
    It was near to bursting out of Luda's stomach, her gut was bobbing in and out with the limbs moving around. Also, just because I'm such the pedantic, the baby wouldn't have gone running around anyway because the baby itself obviously was nowhere near a walking, let alone crawling, age yet. A zombie's movement depends on deep-seated memories of how to basically operate their bodies, the baby wouldn't have that yet. :smug git smiley:

I don't think it could have gotten much worse to be honest.

Dead

Undisclosed

I wouldn't wipe my *ss with the Dawn Remake script

As far as I'm concerned, Dawn 04' had the makings of a great movie but it's writers chose to go the other direction. Kind of like comparing a kid born into a rich family choosing to go the way of the street crackhead. Instead of taking full advantage of what paths have already been paved, this kid chooses to sh*t in the streets, stick needles in his arms, choke on any weiner necessary to keep up a steady fix and ruin his family name for centuries to come. Absolute rock bottom.

They should have consulted suicidal patients at a mental hosptial before filming this damned movie.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What everyone here is forgetting is you cannot copyright a title. You or anyone can make a film called DAWN of the DEAD. As long as your concept doesn't have a mall filled with survivors hiding from zombies. You're fine.

I think I will rename DEADLANDS DAWN of the DEAD j/k
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Well, after all the discussions I've read on here lately about "How incredibly wonderful Yawn'04 is!", I found a copy for $3.99 at Halfprice Bookstore while I was in Midtown, Kansas City earlier this afternoon.
    It's been about a year since I've seen it, so I watched it again. Sometimes I have to collect myself and start fresh. (NOTE: I still cannot stomach Peter Jackoff's Board of the Things)
    After vomiting, gouging my eyes out and trying to find a doctor to administer Electroshock Therapy Treatment, I simply vomited again, then, threw it in the trash.
    It saddens me that I cannot get my money back. I mean, it's only $3.99+tx.....but......I feel as if the bastard flick has picked my wallet.
    Now, if you'll pardon me, I need to sanitize my DVD player and TV.
    Yawn '04 it reamains.

Undisclosed
    This may all be true, but nothing will ever get the stink of LOTD off my DVD player.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    Well, after all the discussions I've read on here lately about "How incredibly wonderful Yawn'04 is!", I found a copy for $3.99 at Halfprice Bookstore while I was in Midtown, Kansas City earlier this afternoon.
    It's been about a year since I've seen it, so I watched it again. Sometimes I have to collect myself and start fresh. (NOTE: I still cannot stomach Peter Jackoff's Board of the Things)
    After vomiting, gouging my eyes out and trying to find a doctor to administer Electroshock Therapy Treatment, I simply vomited again, then, threw it in the trash.
    It saddens me that I cannot get my money back. I mean, it's only $3.99+tx.....but......I feel as if the bastard flick has picked my wallet.
    Now, if you'll pardon me, I need to sanitize my DVD player and TV.
    Yawn '04 it reamains.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    This may all be true, but nothing will ever get the stink of LOTD off my DVD player.

I had my LAND DVD signed by everyone I could find at horrorfind and I just shelved it after that.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I'm personally surprised you didn't just ebay the f*cker, Dj. That's where it belongs...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post

I had my LAND DVD signed by everyone I could find at horrorfind and I just shelved it after that.

Do you guys not like land of the dead? I thought it was fookin mint. As for the zombie baby from dawn04, I thought that was quite good too but i was expecting the baby to eat its way out of the mother, thought that would've been quite cool. But in thinking, a zombie baby is no threat, as it has no teeth. heh heh

"I dont know whats better getting laid or getting paid, I just
    know that when I get one the others getting away!"

Super Moderator

UK
    Just do a forum search for Land of the Dead related topics, you'll see an epic history ... a battle if you will ... between the factions:

The "I Love Land" camp and the "I Hate Land" camp. There was even a poll to decide if it was worthy (and *ahem* it was proven in spades that Land rocked )

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I'm personally surprised you didn't just ebay the f*cker, Dj. That's where it belongs...
    Have you seen the current Ebay prices? Some copies end at $0.01 before shipping. Might as well just take it into a local pawn shop or video store that accepts used movies for trade-in.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I just watched Dawn 04 yesterday for the first time & thought that it was a pretty depressing movie all around.

Some of the things I thought made this flick such a downer:

1. the reportage from the first zombie occurrences to everybody & his bother becoming zombies isn't fair play to the story characters. News of people practically immune gunfire killing & eating other people would have had everybody on edge watch the news, grabbing guns, bugging out of town, etc. If the intent of not showing much lead up to the zombie plague was convey a government cover up or something, I wish they would have come out & said so in the movie.

2. the running & super strong zombies were ridiculous. I think it would be physiologically impossible for a person to have more speed & strength as a zombie than they had had before becoming zombies. I wish they would have split the difference & had zombies fitness commensurate with their pre zombie state--strong, fast athlete = strong fast zombie & fat, slow moving old lady = fat, slow moving zombie. As it stood, the survivors were in hopeless On The Beach type situation & they might have well just drank themselves to death rather than try & fight off the inevitable.

3. the survivors in the mall behaved like a bunch of stupid, contrite children hiding information form each other for know apparent reason. You would think people in life & death situation would display more cooperation with each other--if for other reason than for their own personal survival. Case in point; if CJ had mentioned that a sewer line ran from the mall to over by the gun shop the group could've tunneled up into the place, saved Andy & gotten a butt load of guns & ammunition.

4. the destruction of the entire group as suggest to in the last few minutes of the movie was also real disappointment. Only a stupid kid would think such an ending as being witty & clever.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Slain View Post
    I just watched Dawn 04 yesterday for the first time & thought that it was a pretty depressing movie all around.

1. the reportage from the first zombie occurrences to everybody & his bother becoming zombies isn't fair play to the story characters. News of people practically immune gunfire killing & eating other people would have had everybody on edge watch the news, grabbing guns, bugging out of town, etc. If the intent of not showing much lead up to the zombie plague was convey a government cover up or something, I wish they would have come out & said so in the movie.

2. the running & super strong zombies were ridiculous. I think it would be physiologically impossible for a person to have more speed & strength as a zombie than they had had before becoming zombies. I wish they would have split the difference & had zombies fitness commensurate with their pre zombie state--strong, fast athlete = strong fast zombie & fat, slow moving old lady = fat, slow moving zombie. As it stood, the survivors were in hopeless On The Beach type situation & they might have well just drank themselves to death rather than try & fight off the inevitable.

3. the survivors in the mall behaved like a bunch of stupid, contrite children hiding information form each other for know apparent reason. You would think people in life & death situation would display more cooperation with each other--if for other reason than for their own personal survival. Case in point; if CJ had mentioned that a sewer line ran from the mall to over by the gun shop the group could've tunneled up into the place, saved Andy & gotten a butt load of guns & ammunition.

4. the destruction of the entire group as suggest to in the last few minutes of the movie was also real disappointment. Only a stupid kid would think such an ending as being witty & clever.
    GOD DAMMIT! I WISH I COULD GIVE REP FOR THAT ONE!

(I agree with you 150 percent. These holes are overlooked by the same people who nitpick at LAND. I mean, DAWN 04 is good for a Friday Night action flick. Perfect, I guess. But as a zombie flick or even more so, a George A. Romero remake? Disaster. Complete, unholy disaster. It even made Satan crap himself. )

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by Slain View Post

I liked '04 alot here's my take on the runners again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakobsa View Post
    I think that Svengoolie has probably said all that you can say on this topic.
    There are sound physiological reasons why the runners are scary, human beings and probably most other animals experience something called pain, yeah, I know it's not very nice but it stops us from damaging ourselves too badly.
    Lack of pain due to nerve damage is what leads to the disfiguring injuries you see in those unfortunate enough to suffer from Hansons disease (leprosy).
    The musculature (sp?) of the human body is very powerful, remember, our design is best suited to chasing down game in Africa.Our genes know that the creatures that carry them have to be strong and smart but not reckless.
    Pain tells us to stop before we damage the body. The dead don't care, they'll keep going 'till your barricade fails or you machete their heads off or they eat you.
    Shamblers are scary 'cause in the event of an outbreak human folly and our crowded planet would equal a dismal future for any survivors. Slow and steady wins the race.
    I think that the aggregate damage to the race would be the same, though with runners the eventual prevailing condition of zombie domination of most of the earth would occur a wee bit faster.
    Btw, I prefer shamblers.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.