Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old look of the old forum

United States

Old look of the old forum

Is there a way that I can get the forums to display the exact same way they used to, or is that not an option? I like the old way where everything was displayed in a "tree" format, and I could tell at a glance if I had read the new post or not.

Administrator

England
    Click the "Display Modes" button at the top of the screen and choose "Threaded".

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    People are to attached to the old forum.

This forum is much better in terms of outline and organization.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Unless my memory is WAAAY worse than I think it is, clicking on threaded does not make the forum look the exact way the old forum did. What I mean is when you click on "Dead Discussion" (for example) you see all of the topics threaded on that page. That way you can see each new post under each thread all at the same time, because if you had already read a post, it showed up as a visited link. To me, that seemed to save a lot of time; you could choose what messages you wanted to click.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT
    Is there a way that I can get the forums to display the exact same way they used to, or is that not an option? I like the old way where everything was displayed in a "tree" format, and I could tell at a glance if I had read the new post or not.
    In short the answer is no... VBulletin has a sort of "tree view", but it's not a true tree structure as such.

As for seeing if there's a new post in a thread etc, if you're part of the discussion, the email notification will take you straight to the first new post in the thread. So that's very efficient!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    i have always liked this style of forum because if a thread is happening it keeps getting bumped to the top so others can join in and not lost amongst the pages when new post come in
    its all about the Party.

United States

Talking

New forum looks and works great, IMHO. Great improvements since this site's inception 8 or 9 years ago (it seems like only yesterday).

Anyone else here remember the orginal dark background with the lightning bolt pattern?

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by glsjaw
    i have always liked this style of forum because if a thread is happening it keeps getting bumped to the top so others can join in and not lost amongst the pages when new post come in
    Thats the reason I HATE these Forums!

New threads get lost over popular treads so something I would be intrested in gets overriden by the topic 'post your pic here' or 'word association begin!'

Neil, you have/had a good thing going with your Forum, if you are going to give it up the please give me your code!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

This is exactly why I LOVE this new forum. I was so happy when I signed up the new forum looked the way it does. I wish Neil would have done this years ago.

A+++ to Andy and Neil on this.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    As for seeing if there's a new post in a thread etc, if you're part of the discussion, the email notification will take you straight to the first new post in the thread. So that's very efficient!
    Hence why I've got like 20 to 30 notifications a day from HPOTD Not that I'm complaining, I just thought it was kinda humourous.

Administrator

England
    In most forums that's fine...

In general discussion I'm not so sure. I kind of prefer the last new thread posted stays at the top... What can happen is someone posts a new thread, and meanwhile discussions are happening on 5-10 others and within an hour the new/latest new thread is towards the bottom of the first page...

Yes, "weighted" forums are great most of the time, but like BB and Threaded, each serves it's purpose at times...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Canada

Arrow

Post deleted.
    Last edited by dogma789; 12-Feb-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Deleted post.

Canada
    i like the new system much easeyer to find new posts

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY
    Neil, you have/had a good thing going with your Forum, if you are going to give it up the please give me your code!
    I think it had a number of very good original features:-
    - Being able to set a forum to BB or (proper full) threaded at any time.
    - Weighted or non-weighted forums. ie: A reply takes the thread to the top or not.
    - Realtime(ish) pop-up PMs. ie: Someone sends you a PM, and it pops up on your screen within a minute or so, even if you're doing nothing.
    - Realtime status bar showing number of users on forum and in chatroom.
    - Integrated chat room.

The underlying problem with it was the the database. Ideally I would have to re-write it to all be in SQL, which is a BIG undertaking
    -Carl Sagan

Australia
    These new forums are starting to grow on me, I can see the benefits over the old forums, but I am just one of those people who has to slowly adjust to change.