Thread: Pick-Up Shots for Deadlands

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Pick-Up Shots for Deadlands

Well we will be doing the pick up shots for Deadlands soon, which includes the filming of a new ending sequence. Once these scenes are done, the film is then officially 100% finished.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Well we will be doing the pick up shots for Deadlands soon, which includes the filming of a new ending sequence. Once these scenes are done, the film is then officially 100% finished.
    Well, hurry up!!! (take your time) - I'm starving to see this!!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Believe me, I wanna get this done because we record the DVD commentary next week.

I had to write a new 4 page scene to change the ending, which would make this the 4th time I have changed the ending. Yes, I get very picky about how the movie has been turning out.

As axlish knows, there was never any real deep dialog in the film between characters I mean I had character development, but no really meaningful conversations so I felt I needed to add something so I wrote a new sequence for the middle of the film, and a whole new ending to the film.

Once this stuff is filmed and cut into the film I will be happy.

Also, I am going to talk to the production team about making two versions available 1 with the current ending, and one with the new ending we will film tomorrow.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think you should have done an alternate ending like blake 7 were they all go mental and kill each other or something, itd be a kickass dvd extra and fun to film,lol.

ViP

United States
    No worries DJ, only minimal character development is needed in movies like this. Don't over think it! You should be careful with the rewrites considering that you have already submitted Deadlands to at least two film festivals. Who knows though, perhaps it will add to your film's mystique.

United States
    I think 'rewrite' is kind of the wrong term to use for what we filmed. We just added a scene between myself and Dj during the later part of the film to kind of convey the state not only the characters are in, but the state the world is in (without having to show it all on screen). The scene will add some character development to myself and DJ's character, but it's not a long scene, it's just a short minute and a half conversation. I think it helps add some meat to the story so I think it will fit in nicely.

I guess I should add: we finished the pickup shots we needed this weekend, so that's it peoples - 100% of the filming for Deadlands has been completed. Now it's up to Dj's magic editing and it should be ready to deliver.

Oh, what a long strange 14 months it has been! Sorry 'bout your sanity, Dj!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Actually that new conversation lasts 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    No worries DJ, only minimal character development is needed in movies like this. Don't over think it! You should be careful with the rewrites considering that you have already submitted Deadlands to at least two film festivals. Who knows though, perhaps it will add to your film's mystique.

I slightly modified the ending. I felt the ending was kind of rushed and needed tweaking. So yes the ending has changed, but it is for the better, not too mention the two new scenes in the movie added 5 minutes running time so we are at 65 minutes now.

I am not worried about the Festival cuts being different, look at DAWN of the DEAD his Cannes cut was 11 minutes longer, my Festival cuts are 8 minutes shorter. I had a running time of 57 minutes, but I forgot about some scenes we had filmed in 2005 that I could throw in so i put those in and it got me up to 60 minutes, then I modified the ending which added 3 minutes, I filmed a scene with Brian and I because for 13 minutes or so we were missing from the film which added another 1 minute, then just another minute of various insert shots.

With the modified ending and the new scene with Brian and I the film now feels more complete to me. This is what I felt DEADLANDS needed. Now I am just tweaking the look and I will start rendering the digital print.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 07-Aug-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!