Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Behind the scenes...

United States

Behind the scenes...

There's always one thing I was curious about when it came to making movies and music: what does it actually take to create these projects? What about all the stuff that happens behind or off camera or when the mic isn't turned on? Well...

To give everyone an idea of what went into making Deadlands, we decided to shoot some interviews after the pickup shots were done this weekend, which marked the final bit of film rolled for Deadlands. I think I speak for everyone involved when I say, woohoo!!

Originally slated to end up on the DVD (and who knows, in some form it may still), Dj figured why not put them up on the website so everyone can check it out prior to the release of the film. I thought it was a great idea, so the approximately 54 minute talking session between him and I will be going up on the official Deadlands website in a series of 4-5 'webisodes' - of which, part one is already online.

Mind you, we just stood in front of the camera and decided to 'wing it' - but there's a lot of useful and interesting information in there on the process it took to create this beast. Ever wonder why it took 14 months to complete this project? Wondering if we ended up wanted to choke each other after a night of filming? Curious about the budget? or perhaps how we managed to get 200+ extras to participate - and why they kept coming back for more? How did we manage to close down a stretch of road in Gaithersburg not once, not twice, but a total of four different times for filming? It'll all be in there, plus a lot more.

Check out the first of a series of webisodes Behind the Making of Deadlands: The Rising

We hope you guys enjoy a look at what it took to create Deadlands, and we look forward to getting the final product out to everyone. It's so close to being completed you can almost taste it...

LC

Undisclosed
    I watched both, and they were good. I don't know if I was only entertained because Iworked on it, and know you two, or if it was actually entertaining, i guess you'll just have to wait for someone elses feedback!

Because one thing I hate on DVD extras is boring segments, but i think this one was great.

Super Moderator

UK
    Look at you two cool-ass motherf*ckers hanging out on a Mustang, smoking all cool with your bottled water...

I'm just ribbin' ya, a cool video there. I'm loading up #2 right now, some nice incites into the making of Deadlands. Once I get my videography business off the ground then I'll splash some of that cash down on a copy of Deadlands.

One question Dj - where's my shout-out?!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Episode 4 or 5, I can't remember exactly.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Episode 4 or 5, I can't remember exactly.
    What, really?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes... We do mention you. Of course by your real name as well as forum name. We mention quite a few forum members, and if they have film projects we mention them too.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah wicked, cool beans my man.

I look forward to my shout out. *need a two thumbs fresh smiley*

United States
    Damn right, MZ - we mention ya! Along with quite a few others here at HPotD, although you might have to wait for some of the other webisodes to be posted. We set up the camera and started talking, and to our own shock, when we stopped we had recorded a 54 minute 'chat'! So much for being time-efficient (which seems to be a reoccurring theme with Deadlands, doesn't it Dj? )

...and man, there ain't nothing cool about me, my smokes and my water bottle! I'm just a music & movie geek with a metal haircut... what can I say.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying these. I think dj and myself had a lot of things to say that without these 'webisodes' wouldn't be possible to relay to people. If there's one thing I always enjoyed is when a filmmaker or a musician let you "in" on everything that you'll never see - and that's kind of what we tried to do with these. Not only that, it gives us some time to address some of your questions - the main one being "WTF is taking you guys so long to finish?!" well, that gets answered too, so keep an eye out for future episodes.. err, websiodes (man, am I the only one that hates that word? 'webisode'? )

LC

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ****, I would have kept going if we hadn't run out of tape... Well we didn't run out, I just didn't want to crack a new tape cause it was getting late.

however, I was thinking of recording a sit down with everyone involved, all the Principal players in the crew and Principal cast... I may yet still do that. These little webumentaries are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    so keep an eye out for future episodes.. err, websiodes (man, am I the only one that hates that word? 'webisode'? )

LC

Well we will now call it Webumentaries (Sp?)
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 07-Aug-2006 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    that kicks ass, and yeah webumentaries sounds better webisodes sounds liek those lame words like teh and roxors.

United States
    yeah, what hellsing said.

Webumentaries - I kinda like that.

Super Moderator

UK
    Cool as, I look forward to seeing my shout out, hehe.

Indeed, it's cool to see behind the scenes stuff (I always make sure to cut together a "making of" type featurette when I do a DVD of my short films - often end up including a photo gallery, a commentary and any other things that might have come from all the footage).

I like the idea of video logs - like the Clerks 2 "Trainwreck". I was following that for months (it's now finished I think, I still keep checking in JUST in case a new one pops up), I think it's a great idea. I've been watching the few that are busted out for Hot Fuzz, but the "Trainwreck" saga for Clerks 2 has been utterly excellent, been watching them all back lately.

For short behind the scenes videos I like the name "vlog" - a video blog, or "web doc" I suppose. Webisode suits episodic content, like "Flatmates".

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    BTW guys... The 3rd part of the Webumentary has been edited and will be released this week. After that only 2 more parts.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Banned User

United States
    I love the first two webumentaries/vlogs. ( I like vlogs. ) It makes me want to see deadlands even more. I am amazed by your budget. I really don't know anything about filming but i never thought you could do anything like that for 10G. Many kudos.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WEBUMENTARY Part 3 is now uploading... give it about 25-30 minutes

Link: http://www.playingwithdeadthings.com...EADLANDS3.html

Also A quick message from the DVD that should be on every DVD presented in this format.

http://www.playingwithdeadthings.com/235Message
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 08-Aug-2006 at 09:02 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!