Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PHOTOS from the set of Day of the dead (2007)

United States
    I get a bad feeling in my stomach anytime I think about the Day remake... It's like... When you know something bad's gonna happen and just want to slap whoever's responsible...

I have a feeling this will be like a train wreck. You don't want to look, but you can't help it. I'm going to be detecting a lot of "Wtf? Wasn't he the cop in the other one?"

But you know, I can tell just from the poster that it's going to be awesome... Because it definitely DOESN'T look like Land's DVD cover.

Tsk tsk tsk... It's a shame they never ask for George Romero's input... I mean, he gave his blessing to the first Night remake...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Maitreya

Tsk tsk tsk... It's a shame they never ask for George Romero's input
    That's one of the most on point observations in this forum that i have read. It's almost like they purposely exclude him from these projects. One question though- is it that they're not asking for GAR'S imput or are they coming to him and he's just turning them down because he's tired of crappy remakes based on his classic films? Also, it's true that he was invovled in the remaking of night (90) but you ever notice how it deviated very little from the original movie? I'm sure that was a big reason why. If he was shown a script where the people in the story barricaded theselves in a tree house and the zombies were armed with rocketlaunchers which fired chainsaws that explode all in an effort to attract today's moviegoers I'm sure he would have declined.

United States

damn it

i f***ing hate remakes

United States

My Take on the new Day Of The Dead....

So...

I guess Ving Rhames is in Day. He did say during promoting DOTD04 that he was in talks in doing a sequel to it. Steve Miner seems established enough to take this on. To be honest Im more comfortable with him as a director directing a remake than I am with Zack Snyder who was just a video director before he took his gig doing DOTD 2004. I wasn't sure what to think of James Gunn but I was well pleased with his script. I still am loyal to George's original which is to me the best movie ever made and probally the Citizen Kane of horror.
    I consider a good zombie film and not a remake. I ignore the title to speak and think it should stand on "its" on feet. This one Im not really sure what to think...

Look at the casting:
    Ving Rhames, Mena Suvari, Michael Welch, Annalynne McCord, Stark Sands, Nick Cannon, Christa Campbell

Rhodes is black??? (Ving is good...but I don't see him as Rhodes if it were up to me Powers Boothe or Tom Sizemore can do a pretty ****ing good job of his role).

I can accept Mena Suvari as Sarah but ****ing Nick Cannon?? as Miguel Salazar.

Thats probally the most ****ed casting I ever seen in a film.

Steve Miner directed Friday The 13th part 2, Friday The 13th Part 3, Warlock, House and Lake Placid. To be honest I like them all. They may not be my must have but he's done the horror genre good so I'll give him a chance.

Universal isn't involved which can be both good or bad. I appreciate that they have been taking care of the zombie genre, but they do things by big studio terms. I hope they don't cheat Day out of its beloved gore content or this will be biggest failure that horror has ever known (pun intended).

Last but, not least Jeffery Riddick is the guy who has done all the Final Destination scripts and I really am not a fan of those films. So Im not sure if he was it takes to make this a clever adaptation or will he capture the claustophobia & the brink of insanity that George did with his masterpiece.

I guess I'll wait til opening day to see but damn so far this the most confusing pairing up I have ever seen for a film.
    Proud member of Guts and Glory: another great horror website peep it when not surfing this awesome site @ http://www.gutsandglory.com
    Friday Night Frights every month peep info here: http://www.myspace.com/fridaynightfrights
    add me @: www.myspace.com/ddarkofan75044

United States

Here's my take...

I like the idea of a DotD sequel. Sure, the actors chosen don't match the original, but why should they? I imagine it's going to be a lot different than the original as well. Why? Well, why would a company shell out tons of money to make a film exactly like the original? Characters that look very similar to the original Sarah, Rhodes and Steele would be scoffed at and reviled.

If the idea of the film bothers you that much, don't pay money to see it. I know I'll be in line when the movie comes out for both NotlD3D and the new Day. Zombies, big screen or small, bring em all.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dotd78fan75013
    I wasn't sure what to think of James Gunn but I was well pleased with his script.
    You mean his EDITED script. I forget the number of edits, but I believe it was something like three times, each by a different writer. DjfunkmasterG could probably correct me, since he was all over this film.

Gunn's original script...well, let's put it this way. Unless you like freak zombies who could climb and zombie birds...

Super Moderator

UK
    Ug, this just makes me hate it even more. Rhames all done up in that ever-so-obviously-military get up, Rhodes was sporting some style, some simple green kit and his stylish hair curl thing, plus his double holster thingy. The dude was all style, Ving-a-ling's version looks far too stuck in the military mud.

To be honest, it's not hard to make good zombie make up, well, it's not p*ss easy, but it's not exactly rocket science. Like, the make up in Yawn04 was about the best bit of the movie, however, the FX in those photos doesn't look that great, they certainly don't look like the putrid, sh*t smelling zombies from GAR's original & best that have been hanging around for months and months...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i smell a turd brewing....

this is gonna be ****. simple as.

i dont know who the frigg the guy whos trying to play frankenstein is but he looks like the illegitemate spawn of andy serkis and samwise gamgee. and he wont be able to out act him, looks like another nail in the hollywood remake coffin by now.....

....which has also been welded shut,.... buried in concrete....at the bottom of the ocean......in a underwater volcanic vent....... with a westlife cd just to make sure no one goes near it.

sorry whent a bit never mind the buzzcocks then

Dead

Undisclosed

Day 07': sh*t scud

I had some hope for Dawn 07' until I saw the pictures of Ving-Ding wearing a woodland pattern U.S. military battle dress uniform with captain's bars and the name tag of "Rhodes" on his right side!!! (I guess we should be happy they got the uniform and the rank correct?)

I will take my turn and hit the long deceased horse on the head with the crow bar by saying, "How/who/why the **ck could/would they do that"? And now.... Ms. Letiner, Nina, Trevor? Who the hell are these cartoon characters and what happened to the original cast? A story variation I can understand, but to change the whole damned cast?

Bottom line, gentlemen and ladies, is that this movie is a colossal cluster **ck and we all know it. As hard as it is, we should stop expecting anything good to come from it. It's only going to get worse as the filming continues and time counts down until its release. You can't make a classy woman out of a disease-infected street walker.

You can either embrace this bumpy ass rape, or catch a later showing on the internet.

God bless George Romero!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jim102016
    And now.... Ms. Letiner, Nina, Trevor? Who the hell are these cartoon characters and what happened to the original cast? A story variation I can understand, but to change the whole damned cast?
    Every hack who tries to rape one of GAR'S films always says something to the effect of " we don't want to step on GAR'S toes..... but". Well if that is indeed the case and they want to go off and do their own thing fine, just call the movie by a different name. It's so disrespectful to not ask the man for his imput and deviate from so much from the original storyline and at the same time keep the title for name recognition purposes. I mean is it so hard to call it something else? Maybe people would recieve the film better if it didn't share the same title of one of the classic horror films of all time. ( That goes for any movie that uses the title of GAR'S films).

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Why does everyone who remakes a Romero film have to be a hack?

Remember Savini remade Night, so is he a hack too? According to everyone's definition of a hack it is someone who remakes a Romero film, so is Savini a hack?

I can understand frustrations with remakes, but guess what it is a part of the business and it happens. Deal with it. All your ****ing and moaning and name calling isn't going to stop a $20 million dollar production. Might I remind you the last Romero remake was a $100,000,000 worldwide success, and let to Land being greenlight which flopped at $20,000,000 barely recouping it's budget. The man should be greatful that hollywood holds his films in high regard enough to want to remake them and bring in a whole new audience to the genre.

Look how many new zombie fans were made with the DAWN remake. Unless they totally F*ck this up this remake could bring in a lot more fans who will then discover the original films and can decide for themselves which are better.

Quote Originally Posted by jim102016
    I had some hope for Dawn 07' until I saw the pictures of Ving-Ding wearing a woodland pattern U.S. military battle dress uniform with captain's bars and the name tag of "Rhodes" on his right side!!! (I guess we should be happy they got the uniform and the rank correct?)

I will take my turn and hit the long deceased horse on the head with the crow bar by saying, "How/who/why the **ck could/would they do that"? And now.... Ms. Letiner, Nina, Trevor? Who the hell are these cartoon characters and what happened to the original cast? A story variation I can understand, but to change the whole damned cast?

Bottom line, gentlemen and ladies, is that this movie is a colossal cluster **ck and we all know it. As hard as it is, we should stop expecting anything good to come from it. It's only going to get worse as the filming continues and time counts down until its release. You can't make a classy woman out of a disease-infected street walker.

You can either embrace this bumpy ass rape, or catch a later showing on the internet.

God bless George Romero!
    They changed the DAWN remake cast and no one moaned about that... it has been perceived as a good movie. I see a lotta people running off at the mouth with zilch to contribute but their own opinions on a subject they know jack sh*t about.

And stop calling it rape, or theft ok. No one raped anyone or stole anything. The man gave up the rights to his films, or never had them to begin with. I suggest you watch the Ultimate DAWN DVD with Rubinsteins commentary and you can find out how ****ed up a business man George was, and the reason he owns no rights to his films. The man was $1,000,000 in debt when he made DAWN 78 and that film helped him pay off his debts. Kudo's to Romero though for not being a chicken sh*t and claiming Bankruptcy. He stuck to his guns and paid his debts. Thats a real man taking responsibility. He just fails as a business man.

So don't act like they stole this from him he never owned it to begin with.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 19-Aug-2006 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States

You know what i like about the original?

Super Moderator

UK
    But of course, the thing with Night90 was it was made by the same people. GAR was involved, it was done by Savini, a frequent Romero contributor, so there was a certain "inbreeding" involved. Yawn and Day of the Remake aren't remade in the same way ... annnnnnnnnd, they come at a time when every bloody movie on the block is being remade.

Just chipping in my tuppence...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Why does everyone who remakes a Romero film have to be a hack?

Remember Savini remade Night, so is he a hack too? According to everyone's definition of a hack it is someone who remakes a Romero film, so is Savini a hack?

I can understand frustrations with remakes, but guess what it is a part of the business and it happens. Deal with it. All your ****ing and moaning and name calling isn't going to stop a $20 million dollar production. Might I remind you the last Romero remake was a $100,000,000 worldwide success, and let to Land being greenlight which flopped at $20,000,000 barely recouping it's budget. The man should be greatful that hollywood holds his films in high regard enough to want to remake them and bring in a whole new audience to the genre.

Look how many new zombie fans were made with the DAWN remake. Unless they totally F*ck this up this remake could bring in a lot more fans who will then discover the original films and can decide for themselves which are better.

They changed the DAWN remake cast and no one moaned about that... it has been perceived as a good movie. I see a lotta people running off at the mouth with zilch to contribute but their own opinions on a subject they know jack sh*t about.

And stop calling it rape, or theft ok. No one raped anyone or stole anything. The man gave up the rights to his films, or never had them to begin with. I suggest you watch the Ultimate DAWN DVD with Rubinsteins commentary and you can find out how ****ed up a business man George was, and the reason he owns no rights to his films. The man was $1,000,000 in debt when he made DAWN 78 and that film helped him pay off his debts. Kudo's to Romero though for not being a chicken sh*t and claiming Bankruptcy. He stuck to his guns and paid his debts. Thats a real man taking responsibility. He just fails as a business man.

So don't act like they stole this from him he never owned it to begin with.
    You have a good point here. I know box office figures don't necessarily make a good movie. However, the box office numbers are proof that people either enjoyed the movie or at least went to see it. "Stupid" people or not, they are still people Whether or not they liked it isn't important. A lot of people saw it and that is a fact. Some of those people may have decided to go back and watch the real version of Dawn on account of enjoying the remake. I'm sure the majority of those people enjoyed Romero's film, probably more so than the remake they just watched.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    Ug, this just makes me hate it even more. Rhames all done up in that ever-so-obviously-military get up, Rhodes was sporting some style, some simple green kit and his stylish hair curl thing, plus his double holster thingy. The dude was all style, Ving-a-ling's version looks far too stuck in the military mud.

To be honest, it's not hard to make good zombie make up, well, it's not p*ss easy, but it's not exactly rocket science. Like, the make up in Yawn04 was about the best bit of the movie, however, the FX in those photos doesn't look that great, they certainly don't look like the putrid, sh*t smelling zombies from GAR's original & best that have been hanging around for months and months...
    Could be worse. They could have picked Ben Affleck, Vince Vaughn, Matt Damon, Matthew Broderick, Matthew McConaughey, Matt LeBlanc, Nicholas Cage, Kevin Spacey or any number of "safe" stiffs to play Rhodes. They could have done much worse than Rhames. For example, Charlie Sheen or Don Johnson may have been interested in the work.........

Hell, if this remake were only being shown on cable or headed straight to dvd, you'd probably have seen Eric Roberts, Rutger Hauer, Mark Dacascos or Christopher Lambert get the job. Romero didn't pick Joe Pilato to sell movie tickets and whether or not Rhames was in the Dawn remake, I don't really think he was given the role just to sell movie tickets. I never even heard of the guy outside of Dawn, so he is hardly a mainstream or safe choice. I suppose people might have rather seen a guy like Bruce Campbell get the gig but that would be too obvious (or too kneejerk) and a choice that looks much better on paper than it would end up being on the screen.

Using Rhames in another remake is no worse than Tom Savini popping up in two versions of Dawn (including one Romero had nothing to do with) and then Land.

Nobody expects it to be better than the original, anyway, so it doesn't matter. If it somehow ended up being better than the original, beyond a shadow of a doubt, nobody would ever admit it so that is also a moot point
    Last edited by Brubaker; 19-Aug-2006 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubaker
    Hell, if this remake were only being shown on cable or headed straight to dvd, you'd probably have seen Eric Roberts, Rutger Hauer, Mark Dacascos or Christopher Lambert get the job. Romero didn't pick Joe Pilato to sell movie tickets and whether or not Rhames was in the Dawn remake, I don't really think he was given the role just to sell movie tickets. I never even heard of the guy outside of Dawn, so he is hardly a mainstream or safe choice. I suppose people might have rather seen a guy like Bruce Campbell get the gig but that would be too obvious (or too kneejerk) and a choice that looks much better on paper than it would end up being on the screen.

Using Rhames in another remake is no worse than Tom Savini popping up in two versions of Dawn (including one Romero had nothing to do with) and then Land.

Nobody expects it to be better than the original, anyway, so it doesn't matter. If it somehow ended up being better than the original, beyond a shadow of a doubt, nobody would ever admit it so that is also a moot point
    If it was better I would admit it. Iloved tthe 1950s thing as a kid, but carpenters is superior in every way.
    And whats wrong with Rutger Hauer? Maybe a gultly pleasure, But I think he's pretty damn good. Blade Runner, of course, an Batman BEgins. I think he'd be a kick ass Rhodes.

I didnt like Pilato in Day back in 85. Thought he was too cartoony. Over the years he really grew on me. Ving Rhames has had the exact opposite reaction from me. Used to like him alot, now I see he's just 1 note and getting suckier by the minute.

I hope the new days better, but the casting is way too lame.laaaaaaame.

Remakes don't bother me at all. Many great films have been remakes. Its not that they are remaking GAR at all, its HOW and WHO are making the remakes.
    Last edited by coma; 19-Aug-2006 at 11:50 PM.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers