Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PHOTOS from the set of Day of the dead (2007)

Undisclosed
    MinionZombie:
    To be honest, it's not hard to make good zombie make up...
    Sez who, there, buddy boy? They can be tricky buggers to pull off sometimes. They do have some pretty good folks running the makeup department (hmmm, maybe I should give 'em a call...), so that shouldn't be too much of a worry. Also, the guy who was my assistant on Class of Nuke 'm High yea these many moons ago is doing the visual FX, he's pretty good. Though he did the FX for Mansquito, so who knows. The cinematographer seems to mostly be a TV guy, not a lot of confidence in the production designer, and the editor only has credits as an assistant editor - that doesn't bode well.

I do agree with all and sundry gripes about the casting, though. Scary business. Who knows, they may pull magic out of their collective arse, but I ain't countin' on it. Ugh.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma
    If it was better I would admit it. Iloved tthe 1950s thing as a kid, but carpenters is superior in every way.
    And whats wrong with Rutger Hauer? Maybe a gultly pleasure, But I think he's pretty damn good. Blade Runner, of course, an Batman BEgins. I think he'd be a kick ass Rhodes.

I didnt like Pilato in Day back in 85. Thought he was too cartoony. Over the years he really grew on me. Ving Rhames has had the exact opposite reaction from me. Used to like him alot, now I see he's just 1 note and getting suckier by the minute.

I hope the new days better, but the casting is way too lame.laaaaaaame.

Remakes don't bother me at all. Many great films have been remakes. Its not that they are remaking GAR at all, its HOW and WHO are making the remakes.
    I remember people criticizing the casting for Land before that came out, whether it was Leguizamo or whoever. It makes me think a few people were sitting around in the mid 1980's, when casting was announced for Day, saying "Who the hell is Joe Pilato or Lori Cardille? Why the hell are they in this movie?" Now nobody would dream of asking that but I don't think anyone was sitting around back then and talking about how excited they were about some of the mostly unknown/anonymous actors that were cast.

It reminds me of the first Major League movie, where they show people sitting around a bar in Cleveland reading the Indians new team roster and asking each other who the hell the players were.

Going further, if it is ok for Pilato to pop up in two of Romero's movies as a different character each time, then Rhames shouldn't be criticized for appearing in a couple of remakes loosely based on that work.

Yeah, Rutger Hauer is quite a character. He'd have made a better Frankenstein than most anybody else out there. I don't know about Rhodes. He makes a good vampire in the Salem's Lot remake, which had the bad luck of casting Rob Lowe. I'm an Eric Roberts guy, he might have made a good soldier (strictly following orders) in one of these movies. Gotta feel for a guy who is responsible for giving his little sister (Julia) her big break in the movie business only to have her spit on him and turn her back on him once she got somewhere in Hollywood

Super Moderator

UK
    Tom Savini popping up in Yawn04 though was just a cameo, not a whole new character. His part was a "shout out" to the original. Just like with using Ken and Scott and name dropping Gaylen.

Also, has anyone noticed how in the credits at the beginning of Yawn that GAR's credit for writing the original is shorter than all the other credits given out? (Opening credits specifically). And of course the credits are so crap you can't even read what they say, dark red on black, oh what a smart idea ... idiots.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubaker
    I remember people criticizing the casting for Land before that came out, whether it was Leguizamo or whoever. It makes me think a few people were sitting around in the mid 1980's, when casting was announced for Day, saying "Who the hell is Joe Pilato or Lori Cardille? Why the hell are they in this movie?" Now nobody would dream of asking that but I don't think anyone was sitting around back then and talking about how excited they were about some of the mostly unknown/anonymous actors that were cast.
    Going further, if it is ok for Pilato to pop up in two of Romero's movies as a different character each time, then Rhames shouldn't be criticized for appearing in a couple of remakes loosely based on that work.
    Back in 84 there was no internet and few horror mags (famous monsters, fango and zines which were mail order), No net, remember. Few comic stores and few conventions. People didn't know about casting and it was hard to find other people into GAR. Like NONE. Obviously there were tons, but no way to really network. So most of this is a product of the net. People weren't reading variety outside the industry. The diffrence is vetween GArs cast of unknowns and his usual suspects VS. Known, but crappy. plus most people don't follow these things, they just see a movie. My Mom likes these kinds of movies and she would get confused thinking Ving was the same guy
    after the movie
    "Was that the same guy? I thought he dies at the end. Huh?"

Also, Joe Pilato had a bit part almost entirely cut from the theatrical version of Dawn (go and check. The cigarette guy has a bigger part). The Cannes cut Wasn't really available until like 1997. VIng is a lead in the reamake and it's sequel. That is wierd and pretty stupid imo.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma
    Back in 84 there was no internet and few horror mags (famous monsters, fango and zines which were mail order), No net, remember. Few comic stores and few conventions. People didn't know about casting and it was hard to find other people into GAR. Like NONE. Obviously there were tons, but no way to really network. So most of this is a product of the net. People weren't reading variety outside the industry. The diffrence is vetween GArs cast of unknowns and his usual suspects VS. Known, but crappy. plus most people don't follow these things, they just see a movie. My Mom likes these kinds of movies and she would get confused thinking Ving was the same guy
    after the movie
    "Was that the same guy? I thought he dies at the end. Huh?"

Also, Joe Pilato had a bit part almost entirely cut from the theatrical version of Dawn (go and check. The cigarette guy has a bigger part). The Cannes cut Wasn't really available until like 1997. VIng is a lead in the reamake and it's sequel. That is wierd and pretty stupid imo.
    I don't consider many of the people cast in the Dawn remake or this one to be known, as you say. I've never even heard of most of these actors/actresses. To me, they are nobodies and unknowns. How many of them have actually accomplished something in the business, aside from doing one or two summer movies or bit parts in key releases?

If the original movies had nothing to do with each other from a storyline standpoint, aside from Romero's name, then the remakes sure don't. Somebody on this "sequel/remake" probably liked Ving's work a couple years beforehand. He hasn't done anything in the business that suggests people are casting him in this movie just to capitalize on the success of the 04' Dawn or his previous work. I can't imagine that everyone was cast because they are friends or family of the director or because he feels that he owes people a favor.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wonder if any of these actors have actually seen the original films that they're remaking......

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    I wonder if any of these actors have actually seen the original films that they're remaking......
    Nick Cannon will be on Lettermen. Lettahmahn will be like, "So, what do you think of the original Day of the Dead?". Cannon will be like "There's an original?"

Undisclosed
    Mmhhh, the zombie's are SLOW, or they are "ridiculous, super-power athletic" like Yawn of the s..t 04 ??

I hope that they are "classic zombie's"
    Last edited by ILoVeZoMbiE; 22-Aug-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinFromHell
    Nick Cannon will be on Lettermen. Lettahmahn will be like, "So, what do you think of the original Day of the Dead?". Cannon will be like "There's an original?"
    Lmfao dude i totally agree with both of you. this is sad tho indeed.

X-box live GT: Fallenunder

My myspace is www.myspace.com/epri

http://www.thelivingdead.informe.com/
    We're dead, We're all messed up...