Thread: Internet Phones..

Administrator

England

Question Internet Phones..

anyone else here got one?

Tesco have started doing one in the uk for a one off payment of £14.99 ($28.16 USD), you can call any other internet phone in the world for free, no line rental and very cheap calls to any landline phone.

Click here for details of the Tesco one

im thinking of getting one, so i just want to know what everyone thinks, are they as good as they claim? whats the sound quality like? are they as cheap as this in the states?

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't know anything about them except a mate of mine who recently moved to Switzerland bought one so he could talk to his family on the cheap. In theory I think they're a good idea - that's why Tesco is the giant it is, cos they have good ideas that everyone else ends up copying ... anyway - not sure what they're like in practice, can't be that bad, right?

Canada
    never heard of them, but looking at the website it looks like a skype type service. they are decent but nothing like a dedicated line. if you go for voip type phone your best bet is cable companies since they use dedicated lines , vonage/primus they are great but your at the mercy of the internet/network traffic. it hit or miss.

it about the same price in the states for a similiar type phone.29.95

also checking the info i didnt find anything about compatiability with skype.for user base skype would be the better choice for the free skype to skype calls. skype is also owned by ebay.

if you also go for the phone, ask bout the voice codec, some are huge other are within reason. depending on your connection bandwidth, it can really suck alot of bandwidth when you recieve a call.

also if there are alot of wifi hotspots around you, could always just skip this one and go directly to a wifi enabled cell phone. great thing is everything is pretty much free with them , calls, text, long distance and it wireless.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I use Vonage, and I love it. Best phone service I ever had. PLus it is 50% cheaper than Verizon.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*