Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

Undisclosed

Smile Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

so what did you guys think i really liked it i dont understand why tom didnt like it i thought it was really good and i like how he added some stuff like the ending

United Kingdom
    I loved it (still prefer the original) but I think it was truest representation of GAR's work with the most relevent updates to the story line.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I enjoy it. To me, it's definitely the best remake yet.

I think the reason Savini isn't too happy with it is because the studio and producers f'd with it during production. IT didn't come out quite the way he had originally intended. I also think he wasn't too happy with the MPAA.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't think it's that great. The pacing is pretty off, the editing and atmosphere isn't all that great. Infact, I find the film to be pretty boring. I'm sure that if Tom Savini had it his way, it would have been a bit better. But it might still have been boring.

Oh, and the music? That's one hell of a mood killer.

ViP

United States
    Aside from bad acting, weak score, and crap dialogue, its great!

The film was made so the original Image Ten partners could get some cash out of the name NOTLD, and it shows on screen.

Undisclosed
    I hate to say it, for fear of being attacked here...but I liked it a tad bit more then the original. I prefered the newer ending to the original ending...however this is just my opinion, and I still do enjoy the original.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by livingdeadboy
    I hate to say it, for fear of being attacked here...but I liked it a tad bit more then the original. I prefered the newer ending to the original ending...however this is just my opinion, and I still do enjoy the original.
    No worries Livingdeadboy. Although I disagree with your opinion, I'd like to think we are moving towards a more mature environment where opinions are tolerated and more importantly, appreciated.

United States
    I own it and love it - BUT, there are two things I dislike about it.

1. I hate there is a ghoul that has escaped from a coffin in the opening cemetary sequence.

2. The ending.

other than that, I enjoy it.

Undisclosed
    NOTLD 1990 is the ONLY remake I have listed over on D-C.COM...
    ... reason being, Savini directed it, with George hot on his heels the entire shoot.

So... though it was changed a bit by Savini in a positive, more modern view of women,contrary to the originals view of helpless, scared and hysterical female leads, for me, it still has Georges stamp on it.

I enjoyed the changes and along with the whole Harry Cooper situation ...there is justice...lol

I tend to favor the remake for it's modernization and the way it flows into the other 3 films. Of course you can't take anything from the original, it's a masterpiece in it's own right.
    I enjoy Patricia Tallmans performance in the cemetary... I just really love her panic scene in the car, trying to find the keys ....And Tony Todds intensity is only rivaled by Duane Jones' original performance...

For me , and I'm not trying to convince anyone, I prefer the remake but remember ..the original is ..what it is ... the original classic.
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

Undisclosed
    I loved the original, But I loved '90 The way it played off of notld 68
    for example when the girl in 90 was killing her mom, it showed the trowel on the wall an obvious reference to 68 I liked how Tom Put clever stuff in for Die hard notld fans _z.k
    "looks like God left the phone off the Hook"

United States

Thumbs up

best remake ever made

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCentral
    with George hot on his heels the entire shoot.
    George was in Sanibel, writing The Dark Half script. With Tom being left alone, all the old school Image Ten partners, whom he considered friends, screwed him over and sabotaged the shoot. Why? Because they were jealous that Tom was chosen to direct and they weren't given the chance.

Undisclosed
    Actually Axlish ..read my interviews with the cast members of the film, Tony Todd told me that George was there pretty much daily, as did the other cast members I've spoken to... maybe he worked on The Dark Half the same year...but he WAS there to oversee the filming of NOTLD 1990..
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

Banned User

United States
    Even though it was pretty much a turd on alot of levels, I still enjoy NOTLD 90 very much, and take it down off the shelf almost as often as I do the original.

The trick, I think, is to ingore the politics, motivations, bull**** and excuses behind the flick....and to just enjoy it for what it is.

Ditto for Day.

Undisclosed
    I liked the remake, but I'm still a big fan of the original. I think that George showed a great use of lighting in the original and I love watching those shadowy scenes. I still find the corpse on the stairs a very creepy image. There are also elements of race that play in the original for the fact that they aren't there. The void in the original makes a big impact.

In the remake, that racial element doesn't exist. Still, I'm a big Tony Todd fan. I'd watch that guy just sit in a chair. I think he and Jeffery Combs (not sure of spelling) are the Boris Karloff and Bella Lugousi of our day. The changes to Barbara made the remake a fresh experience and I felt the ending made a good Dawn tie in.

Making the world a not so safe place.