Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Lamebrains!

Big fan of NOTLD90. Would like to see a directors cut with the gore shots put back in. Perhaps in 10 years when CGI technology advances enough it will be possible to upgrade the film seamlessly.
    Only if Savini is at the helm. It's only right and I would love to see his true vision for the film. Probably much darker.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Someone around here(maybe even in this thread ) recently mentioned that Savini said he was working on the Night90 Blu Ray and it could have new features. So maybe he's getting to do a new cut? I hope so...
    Please someone substantiate this claim.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    Please someone substantiate this claim.
    I didn't want to seem like a loon, so I went looking for it. About five posts down. Originally posted by HumanBiped.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ght#post224134

Also, Tom Savini said they are working on a Blu-Ray Directors Cut of his version of "Night of the Living Dead". Actually, it's the only thing he said to me when I met him, he was pretty much ignoring me when we met
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Apr-2010 at 10:30 AM.

England
    Night 1990 on Blu will be a day one buy for me.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Lamebrains!

Big fan of NOTLD90. Would like to see a directors cut with the gore shots put back in. Perhaps in 10 years when CGI technology advances enough it will be possible to upgrade the film seamlessly.
    I smell another night of the living dead 30th anniversary project underway

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I smell another night of the living dead 30th anniversary project underway
    No way! They'd not make that mistake again!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

United States
    I loved this movie, and still do. A proper 'upgrade' to NOTLD, as opposed to what DOTD '04 was to '78. (Sharing only a title and a few names.)

While the gore wasn't as over-the-top and brutal as I would like, some of those zombies look AWESOME. I love the look of the very first few zombies we see, in particular. The very first zombie who kills Johnny, and the one whos clothes start to fall off as Barbara calls for help, look pretty unsettling and creepy. I really loved the look of the one Ben hits in his car, breaking its legs. Its got this squashed face thats creepy.

Some of the acting is abysmal. Like the lame couple, and the way the dude constantly referred to his girlfriend with BOTH names. "Judy Rose." But I actually kind of liked the cheesiness of how the argument between Cooper and Ben is portrayed in this one. It escalates so quickly, and the way Barbara kills Coop at the end is very satisfying. (I really like the entire end, when Barbara is 'rescued' by the hillbillies from DOTD '78.)

All in all, one of my favorite zombie movies. Its by no means perfect, and I'm sure a better cut existed at some point, but it is the best remake of any of the OT so far, and I can't see that honer being taken from it any time soon.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    I loved this movie, and still do. A proper 'upgrade' to NOTLD, as opposed to what DOTD '04 was to '78. (Sharing only a title and a few names.)

While the gore wasn't as over-the-top and brutal as I would like, some of those zombies look AWESOME. I love the look of the very first few zombies we see, in particular. The very first zombie who kills Johnny, and the one whos clothes start to fall off as Barbara calls for help, look pretty unsettling and creepy. I really loved the look of the one Ben hits in his car, breaking its legs. Its got this squashed face thats creepy.

Some of the acting is abysmal. Like the lame couple, and the way the dude constantly referred to his girlfriend with BOTH names. "Judy Rose." But I actually kind of liked the cheesiness of how the argument between Cooper and Ben is portrayed in this one. It escalates so quickly, and the way Barbara kills Coop at the end is very satisfying. (I really like the entire end, when Barbara is 'rescued' by the hillbillies from DOTD '78.)

All in all, one of my favorite zombie movies. Its by no means perfect, and I'm sure a better cut existed at some point, but it is the best remake of any of the OT so far, and I can't see that honer being taken from it any time soon.
    Agreed!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post

this guy is PERFECT! if only someone would do a real remake of dawn. the script is begging to be brought into present day scenarios. same mall,please!!

Twitching

United States
    About to identify myself as a heretic,
    I actually much PREFER Savini's NotLD over GAR's. I really detested the complete uselessness and non-realism of Barbara's over-the-top hysteria. When she just freezes up as the zombies are breaking in and she lets them mob her with no reaction besides verbal hysteria/screaming it just pisses me off and is the culmination of what I detested about GAR's Barbara in the character's entirety.

Add to that the much grittier zombie-fighting and the appearance of the zombies overall, plus the far cooler and more sensible Barbara and ending of the movie focused on her. All together, I just enjoy Savini's Night much more than the original for a host of reasons that just add up.

Ironically, Savini does a superior/more believable job of conveying GAR's "We're the primary threat to ourselves when push comes to shove." I really dig the way his Barbara says "They're so slow, we could just walk past them." It brings home the notion that the pissing match in the house is the primary problem in a much more subtle, yet somehow clearer way with just a few lines of Barbara's and the very cool ending where she takes her own advice.

I'll take my lumps for my heresy, but I'm immovable on this one. To me, Savini's movie occupies the conceptually polished, tighter plot position normally occupied by the original version of a movie. Don't get me wrong, I give GAR his mad props for pioneering the genre, and his NotLD is great. It's just a matter of personal taste for me.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You don't deserve to be called a fan, now fuck off and die!!!!

Actually....that opinion isn't uncommon. Quite a few members here prefer Savini's over Romero's. Myself being one of them. Not that there's anything wrong with the original, but I more often put on the remake rather than the original.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    About to identify myself as a heretic,
    I actually much PREFER Savini's NotLD over GAR's. I really detested the complete uselessness and non-realism of Barbara's over-the-top hysteria. When she just freezes up as the zombies are breaking in and she lets them mob her with no reaction besides verbal hysteria/screaming it just pisses me off and is the culmination of what I detested about GAR's Barbara in the character's entirety.

Add to that the much grittier zombie-fighting and the appearance of the zombies overall, plus the far cooler and more sensible Barbara and ending of the movie focused on her. All together, I just enjoy Savini's Night much more than the original for a host of reasons that just add up.

Ironically, Savini does a superior/more believable job of conveying GAR's "We're the primary threat to ourselves when push comes to shove." I really dig the way his Barbara says "They're so slow, we could just walk past them." It brings home the notion that the pissing match in the house is the primary problem in a much more subtle, yet somehow clearer way with just a few lines of Barbara's and the very cool ending where she takes her own advice.

I'll take my lumps for my heresy, but I'm immovable on this one. To me, Savini's movie occupies the conceptually polished, tighter plot position normally occupied by the original version of a movie. Don't get me wrong, I give GAR his mad props for pioneering the genre, and his NotLD is great. It's just a matter of personal taste for me.
    Fuck yes! I got your back on this.

The Savini remakes is far superior IMO, I watch it so much more than the original - Tony Todd is the man and Patricia Tallman is just excellent.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    Hmmmm, 'average every day' house frau from the 60s who goes hysterical and is 'frozen' with fear when confronted by her imminent, seemingly inescapable, doom at the hands of the mind-shatteringly animated undead vs. early 90s mousy nerd gal who goes super ninja-bitch under similar conditions...

Are we discussing which is more realistic, which is cooler or which is sexier?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Babrara 90 snaps...but it's one of those "for the better" transitions.

"whatever I lost I lost a long time ago mister"

Anyways "realistic" can involve either "fight" or "flight", original Babrara retreats into her shattered brain, Barbara 90 says "fuck this" and decides she's not going down without a fight.

I like the fact that she calls everything right as well...she's obviously a woman who's been pushed around all her life...and now people are pushing her into a totally avoidable death and she says "no way".

Edit: Barbara 90 doesn't do anything extraordinary IMO, she just does decides to take control of her own destiny after a fashion...it's Tony "kick-ass" Todd who does ninja-ish things when taking on that bunch of zacks outside.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 22-Jul-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You ever try and show anyone the original? Thye'll be bored to tears in 15 minutes.

Night 90' is the better film, imo, but the thing the original has over it is it's historical significance.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"