Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKeeper View Post
    I think it's great. Great actors, great pacing and I love the twist a the end of the film. Would love to see this cleaned up and put on blu-ray.
    In it's correct aspect ratio.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Agreed, agreed, agreed!!!! I friggin loved Night '90!! I watch it all the time and I still enjoy it as much as I did back when it came out. Maybe for me it's more because it holds a special place in my heart. Just like the GAR films, each one of those films has it's own, flavor, it's own feel if you will, that seems to coincide with a particular time in my life and each of them is special for many reasons because of that. For me, movies, much like music, each have a different place, a different feel and emotion attached to it that I seem to revisit each time I see/hear them. I don't know if I'm making any sense or not, but what I mean is, I can watch a favorite film or hear a favorite song and it automatically transports me back to that time, that feeling, and those memories that I had when they came out or when I first saw/heard them.

Now that I've over explained that, I will just say this... When Night '90 came out, I was partying and enjoying my youth, but I missed my earlier years already as a younger child and I missed the intense feelings I had when I watched the GAR films as a child. Most fresh in my mind in 1990 was Day of the Dead and I LOVED that film when it came out. So, for 5 years I watched my VCR tape which had Night, Dawn, and Day on it...over and over again...waiting, for something new. When Night '90 came out I was exctatic and I was still deeply entrenched in the "80's" feel of everything so the 80's style music and feel to the movie totally worked for me. Not to mention the make up and the zeds were great and I felt like finally we had another great zombie film that I could add to my collection and watch repeatedly!! Yaaaaay!!!
    Now, if you want to have a good time and you need some p@*$y...you can cut that chicken's head off...

United States
    I liked Night90 more so than the original probably because the acting and special effects were better, but also because Barbara got tough and survived. Interesting thought occurred to me though; the good guy vs. bad guy contention formula in both NotLD flicks. In Day of the Dead, the concept of "Ben" was now represented by the characters John, Sara, William, and Ted, with the concept of "Mr. Cooper" being represented by the characters Steel, Rickles, and Rhodes. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's something to think about.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 12-Sep-2011 at 03:08 AM. Reason: sp
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    I liked Night90 more so than the original probably because the acting and special effects were better, but also because Barbara got tough and survived. Interesting thought occurred to me though; the good guy vs. bad guy contention formula in both NotLD flicks. In Day of the Dead, the concept of "Ben" was now represented by the characters John, Sara, William, and Ted, with the concept of "Mr. Cooper" being represented by the characters Steel, Rickles, and Rhodes. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's something to think about.
    I can go with that! They're both great, but if I had to make the choice I think I'd watch the remake...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I like both quite a bit honestly and think it is probably one of the best remakes that did not exceed the original (The Blob or The Thing), but was still a very good movie. I think it is a really fun movie. Different vibes overall than the original but heart of it is there.

United States
    I wasn't aware that Savini didn't have complete control of the NotLD remake. Was GAR beating him with a rolled up newspaper during filming or something? If so, I wonder how much better (or worse) the film would have been if it was all Savini.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 13-Sep-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: sp
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Fresh Meat

England
    night of the living dead remake is my 3rd fave zombie film after dawn and day

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Giger View Post
    In the remake, that racial element doesn't exist.
    ...yes, but the racism move instead to sexism in the remake. ie: How strong Barbara is in the remake, and how she doesn't simply run around like a scared rabbit for the whole film
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ...yes, but the racism move instead to sexism in the remake. ie: How strong Barbara is in the remake, and how she doesn't simply run around like a scared rabbit for the whole film
    Indeed - that's what Judy was for in the remake ... god I can't stand Judy in NOTLD90.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Oh there are plenty in the series that would get looks like that. We could start a thread on them alone.

"Mouth full of Greek salad"
    haha when I met Captain Rhodes himself I got him to write this on my Day of the Dead poster...he said no one had ever asked him to write that before....lol....cue converstaion about how he actually likes Greek salad...I've never tried it...!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    There's a very limited edition Blu-Ray coming out - 3,000 copies only.

http://dailydead.com/tom-savinis-nig...u-ray-release/

Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with Filmmaker Tom Savini / Original Theatrical Trailer”

The Blu-ray will ship on October 9th and only 3,000 units are available. For more information or to pre-order your copy, visit:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...990-PRE-ORDER/
    NOTLD.jpg

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadJake View Post
    so what did you guys think i really liked it i dont understand why tom didnt like it i thought it was really good and i like how he added some stuff like the ending
    Saw this in the Theatres when i was a teenager & i must say 1 of if not the best remake in zombie history!

I think Tom was still smokin pot back then....but gr8t job!

Plus he stayed true to Georges vision & didnt screw with it like these other art house goons who think there the shit.....but not.
    Last edited by DEAD BEAT; 05-Dec-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: rewrite
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Administrator

England
    We'll there's big questions about how much director'ship he actually had... I suspect we'll never know for sure!?
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    The remake did not live up to my expectations!!
    Considering the original Night of the Living Dead it stand nowhere in front of it...
    Bad acting,loose plot...i would suggest a big NO to go for this one!!!

United States
    I actually liked this one better than the original but the original was good too. I guess I liked it because I preferred the stronger Barbara over the weaker one, and it fits with the other movies that came out after the original Night of the Living Dead in which there was always at least one strong heroine helping to fight the zombies and trying to survive just like the male characters (Sarah from Day of the Dead and Francine from Dawn of the Dead). I also liked how they played it out with Barbara starting off as the typical damsel in distress (just like her character from the original movie), but once she realizes what's at stake she literally ditches the skirt and picks up a gun ready to fight.

I can understand why Tom Savini hated his own movie though, he didn't get to make it as gory as he originally wanted. But even though this movie isn't as violent as the other movies I thought it was still a pretty effective horror movie.