Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

Administrator

England
    I love Night90
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    Ditto!!
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

United States
    One thing about the 90 remake that really stood out in my mind was the ending when it showed Barbara walking around the camp full of survivors and she witnessed how these people became just as barbaric as the zombies by making "games" out of the ones they captured, then she gave the memoriable line of "They're us, we're them and they're us". I think that was a really powerful moment that explained the nastiness of human nature. Plus Barbara admitted that she was "having fun" because there were no more rules, and she even seemed to loose a bit of her own humanity when she shot Henry Cooper (the only survivor from the farm house) out of revenge for not wanting to help anybody and getting Ben killed and turned into a zombie.

This was something that I felt wasn't really explored in the original Night of the Living Dead. We actually got to see some human survivors and how they took advantage of the collapse of society to just do whatever they wanted. This was the kind of thing that was shown in Romero's other movies like Dawn of the Dead and Land of the Dead.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie369 View Post
    ...people became just as barbaric as the zombies.
    The zombies aren't really barbaric - they are just as much the victims of the zombie apocalypse as the survivors are. The difference is that the living choose to act barbarically, zombies are compelled to do what they do out of instinct - which technically, makes us the monsters!

Super Moderator

UK
    Some good points there Zombie369.

Although, speaking generally of the movie, the one thing I hate about the flick is Judy-bloody-Rose ... I cannot stand her in the movie at all ... one second she's a whimpering nuisance, the next she's clambering on a high horse, the next she thinks she's Rambo, and then she's a whimpering mess again ... a really inconsistently written character who bugs the bejesus out of me!

It's a shame it got censored and we'll most likely never get an uncut version, but it's generally a decent flick with some really cool moments - I dug that they made much more of Barbara in the 1990 version, and yeah, that whole "They're us, we're them and they're us" ending was one of my favourite parts of the flick.

United States
    Yeah I know what you mean, Judy Rose was pretty damn annoying in the 1990 remake. But I guess they just wanted her to take Barbara's place from the original as the screaming hysterical woman since they decided to make Barbara into a stronger female character in this one.

Latvia
    I really liked it, but I think original had the atmosphere that haunts.

UK
    After Dawn & Day this is my favourite movie ever. Tom Savini should make some more zombie movies
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    After Dawn & Day this is my favourite movie ever. Tom Savini should make some more zombie movies
    Yeah. The reason Tom didn't get more opportunities to direct after this still puzzles me, as it was quite capably made.

Undisclosed
    Night 1990 is an awesome remake and would have been an awesome pilot for a TV series starring Barbara as a member of the redneck posse surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Its really unfortunate that the early 90's were so unwelcoming towards horror and gore, therefore setting the bar for an X-rating very low and good footage to be cut to receive a 1990-R rating, probably would be PG-13 in 2014.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Night 1990 is an awesome remake and would have been an awesome pilot for a TV series starring Barbara as a member of the redneck posse surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Its really unfortunate that the early 90's were so unwelcoming towards horror and gore, therefore setting the bar for an X-rating very low and good footage to be cut to receive a 1990-R rating, probably would be PG-13 in 2014.
    I personally love it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I love it. It was the first zombie movie I ever rented as a kid (not counting Scooby Doo on Zombie Island) and while the original was good i felt like this movie did somethings better like having one of the characters survive in the end plus the zombies all looked better than they did in the original.
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 07-Apr-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    I love it. It was the first zombie movie I ever rented as a kid (not counting Scooby Doo on Zombie Island) and while the original was good i felt like this movie did somethings better like having one of the characters survive in the end plus the zombies all looked better than they did in the original.
    I beg to differ. The original is better than the remake in everything except the makeup. The original is even "gorier" than the remake, which I thought was weird (when I went to see it for the first time I expected it would be a gore-fest, specially considering that Savini was in charge, but no such thing, I found it "tamer" in that department than the original.) And one of the shocking things about the original Night was in fact it's grim ending, where none of the movies' main characters survived.
    Last edited by JDP; 07-Apr-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: ;

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I beg to differ. The original is better than the remake in everything except the makeup. The original is even "gorier" than the remake, which I thought was weird (when I went to see it for the first time I expected it would be a gore-fest, specially considering that Savini was in charge, but no such thing, I found it "tamer" in that department than the original.) And one of the shocking things about the original Night was in fact it's grim ending, where none of the movies' main characters survived.
    Acting? Some of the acting is better too?

But yes, having recently re-watched Night 1990, although I enjoyed it, I'd have to say the original is the better overall flick...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I dont think a horror movie has to be drowned in gore effects just to be good. A lot of great horror movies had low levels of violence in them. Look at Psycho and Carnival of Souls.