Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 242

Thread: Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

  1. #16
    Survey Time axlish's Avatar
    ViP

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Paradise City, Florida
    Posts
    2,249
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCentral
    Actually Axlish ..read my interviews with the cast members of the film, Tony Todd told me that George was there pretty much daily, as did the other cast members I've spoken to... maybe he worked on The Dark Half the same year...but he WAS there to oversee the filming of NOTLD 1990..
    I invite you to listen to the Tom Savini interview at www.deadpit.com where he descibes George's absence and the eventual screwjob he recieved. George was there in the beginning, but left to go write the script, which was also discussed in the interview on deadpit. I trust what Tom said, especially considering he trashed his own flick. Here is the link to download the show, recorded at the end of May 06.
    http://www.horrortalkradio.com/shows/52706final.mp3

  2. #17
    Just been bitten creepntom's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    memphis,tn
    Age
    45
    Posts
    171
    United States
    i enjoy the remake

    i enjoy the original for the ground it broke, but i prefer this one cause of the effects

  3. #18
    Just been bitten DeadCentral's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the deepest dark regions
    Age
    51
    Posts
    237
    Undisclosed
    You got me there Axlish... 2 points ... , but he was there...as you said ...at first... he also got ripped by the mpaa on the rating too... that's why you don't see any "flowing" blood... it the early 90's that was considered "taboo" so you miss the scene with McGruders brains being splattered....
    designs-n-creations.com

    Sometimes dead is better....

  4. #19
    Survey Time axlish's Avatar
    ViP

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Paradise City, Florida
    Posts
    2,249
    United States
    It's odd, but Savini would have preferred that Romero stuck around and was breathing down his neck.

    The MPAA indeed trimmed some cool parts, but something confuses me about Savini's comments regarding the trims. One moment, it seems as if the film suffers because of jelousy on the set, and then another moment, it seems as if he is saying it suffers because of the 5-10 seconds that were removed. I really don't think that the inclusion of a couple of head shots would have saved the film. Personally, I just think it was a big cluster-F of a production, all around.

  5. #20
    Banned Svengoolie's Avatar
    Banned User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    21702 East Central
    Posts
    394
    United States
    I've noticed that it's a recurring theme in the drama that is the world of GAR that there are a million and one excuses and a million and one people to blame as to why a film failed in a particular way.

    I'm curious as to what the Streiner/Russo Mob's take on NOTLD 90 would be. Did they maybe blame Savini's lack of directorial experience for the film's failure?

  6. #21
    Survey Time axlish's Avatar
    ViP

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Paradise City, Florida
    Posts
    2,249
    United States
    Here is one of the saddest box office comparisons I have ever seen...

    Evil Dead 2 - $5,923,044 in 310 theatres
    Night 90 - $5,835,247 in 1,544 theatres

    Imagine if Evil Dead 2 had been in more theatres. Raimi had a bigger issue with distribution than Romero.

  7. #22
    Just been bitten DeadCentral's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the deepest dark regions
    Age
    51
    Posts
    237
    Undisclosed
    Well a little bit of trivia for ya ... the release of NOTLD 1990 coincided with what "happening" in US history???
    Beuller..Beuller??
    The Gulf War... the film was opening the EXACT same week-end that the Gulf War started...same night as a matter of fact , which in a sense was a short & simple part of it's dismal theater rep... so many americans were caught up in the war at that time ..who was about to run out to see cinema death when they could see the real thing on Tv at home...
    designs-n-creations.com

    Sometimes dead is better....

  8. #23
    Banned Svengoolie's Avatar
    Banned User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    21702 East Central
    Posts
    394
    United States
    Well, speaking from personal experience--NOTLD 90 didn't hit the Chicago area until October. I remember because I was in HS, and did a paper on it for English Class--comparing the original to the remake.

    I went to see this flick twice.

    The first time was the Friday night it opened...and I'm here to tell ya that it was a packed house.

    I went again the very next afternoon...and I was literally the only person in that theater.

    I was going to go the very next day for a third time, but decided to wait until the next weekend. But, I wish I had gone on that Sunday, because by the very next weedend NOTLD 90 was long gone from that theater and the area in general.

  9. #24
    Survey Time axlish's Avatar
    ViP

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Paradise City, Florida
    Posts
    2,249
    United States
    I saw it opening night, with a date and about 5-6 other folks. Thats right, only 6-7 people, total. One of the guys in the "crowd" claimed to be "good friends" with the lady who played Judy Rose. I didn't like it, although some parts were cool.

  10. #25
    Just been bitten DeadCentral's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the deepest dark regions
    Age
    51
    Posts
    237
    Undisclosed
    I was amongst the partying crew at that time, 24 years old, drunk as a skunk on a regular basis and not much interested in the movies...
    I finally caught it on VHS later that year with a few peeps having a nice little sit down...
    I liked it immensely...
    designs-n-creations.com

    Sometimes dead is better....

  11. #26
    Dead DVW5150's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Monroeville Mall
    Age
    53
    Posts
    622
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Giger
    I liked the remake, but I'm still a big fan of the original. I think that George showed a great use of lighting in the original and I love watching those shadowy scenes. I still find the corpse on the stairs a very creepy image. There are also elements of race that play in the original for the fact that they aren't there. The void in the original makes a big impact.

    In the remake,"" that racial element doesn't exist"". Still, I'm a big Tony Todd fan. I'd watch that guy just sit in a chair. I think he and Jeffery Combs (not sure of spelling) are the Boris Karloff and Bella Lugousi of our day. The changes to Barbara made the remake a fresh experience and I felt the ending made a good Dawn tie in.
    Mr Cooper says to Tony Todd " You dont exactly look like nieghbors yourself!" Thats alittle sorta kinda ..racial .

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCentral
    Well a little bit of trivia for ya ... the release of NOTLD 1990 coincided with what "happening" in US history???
    Beuller..Beuller??
    The Gulf War... the film was opening the EXACT same week-end that the Gulf War started...same night as a matter of fact , which in a sense was a short & simple part of it's dismal theater rep... so many americans were caught up in the war at that time ..who was about to run out to see cinema death when they could see the real thing on Tv at home...
    Gulf war in '90 ...All we saw on tv were enhanced bluurry photos of targets getting hit ... I think people were more distracted by the possibility that saddam supposdly had WMD's or was building nukes...sound familiar? " Mission Accomplished!!!" Sorry to be topical ...
    Last edited by DVW5150; 27-Aug-2006 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

  12. #27
    Just been bitten DeadCentral's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the deepest dark regions
    Age
    51
    Posts
    237
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150


    Gulf war in '90 ...All we saw on tv were enhanced bluurry photos of targets getting hit ... I think people were more distracted by the possibility that saddam supposdly had WMD's or was building nukes...sound familiar? " Mission Accomplished!!!" Sorry to be topical ...
    Nailed it right on the head DVW....
    designs-n-creations.com

    Sometimes dead is better....

  13. #28
    Dead dmbfanintn's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    565
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    No worries Livingdeadboy. Although I disagree with your opinion, I'd like to think we are moving towards a more mature environment where opinions are tolerated and more importantly, appreciated.
    You can't be serious!!! Mature???? HA!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

  14. #29
    Fresh Meat
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1
    Undisclosed
    I liked NOTLD '90 better than the '68 version.
    The changes they did with Barbara's character, and with the movies ending, is definitely better than in the original movie.
    Last edited by dejio; 11-Oct-2006 at 11:24 AM.

  15. #30
    Being Attacked Mister Chrome's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    47
    United States

    It shouldn't be 68 vs. 90

    Even though Night 90 is a remake of Night 68, I think it is best viewed as a stand alone piece. To refer back to the title of this reply, I don't think it is wise to compare the two, nor do I think it is fair.

    I enjoyed Night 90 very much. I think it has many admirable qualities, both for technical and entertainment value. On the technical side, I liked the cinematography, particularly the compositions of shots that took place outside the house. I also like the lighting. It conveys a very dull feeling for the farm, which I think actually helps the mood of the movie overall. The make-up was great; I think Savini's vision for how the zombies should look was bold and daring. The fact that he didn't "overdo it" with the gore was a good choice, in my opinion. The glazed dead eyes of the zombies were a plus as well.

    The acting was fine - not great, not inferior. For the script and the scenario, I think the cast did a fine and believable job. Kudos to Patricia and Tony in the lead parts, but I also think the supporting cast (especially the actor who played Mr. Cooper) were true to the spirit of the script and story.

    P.S. - I like the fact that Barbara ends up shooting Cooper in the end. Just desserts, if you will allow me to use the phrase.

    My 2 cents,

    M.C.
    Last edited by Mister Chrome; 13-Oct-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Title adjustment


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •