Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Chrome View Post
    The fact that he didn't "overdo it" with the gore was a good choice, in my opinion.
    Actually, if i'm not mistaken, the MPAA screwed with him and alot had to be cut. He discusses it a bit on the documentary on the DVD. Along with some of the deleted head shots and gore.

So....essentially, Savini wanted a nasty film but was forced to cut down. He also says that he likes it with the cuts because it leaves it to the viewer to fill in the gore, ut I think he's just saying that because he was forced to cut his film back .....

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
    I hate to say it, for fear of being attacked here...but I liked it a tad bit more then the original.
    As much as I'd like to cry BLASPHEMY at this quote, I can't disagree. I have a cousin who saw this movie and loved it. Naturally, I'm screaming at him to watch the original because (let's face it) the original takes a big fat dump on the remake full stop. Do you know what my cousin said to me after he finally saw it? "Crap!"

On the positive side, this actually proves the remake is a darn good film after all and that it can work on somebody who never saw the 1968 version in the first place.
    Last edited by capncnut; 14-Oct-2006 at 02:53 AM.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Seen both, 68' is much better in my opinion. The female lead didn't work for me. I just can't see changing that aspect around to purposely be more politically correct or 'more with the times'.

With the upcoming release of the Day remake in 07', I suspect many of us will come to the conclusion that originals often take huge dumps on remakes.
    But, I will still watch them!

United States
    I thought Barbara was much better looking in the remake While this sounds trivial, I think the remake fits in better with the other three films, due to the fact it is in color (disregarding the colorized versions of the 1968 film). However, I enjoy black-and-white horror/monster movies, so I will say I like them both about the same.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubaker View Post
    I thought Barbara was much better looking in the remake While this sounds trivial, I think the remake fits in better with the other three films, due to the fact it is in color (disregarding the colorized versions of the 1968 film). However, I enjoy black-and-white horror/monster movies, so I will say I like them both about the same.
    Patricia Tallman is a hottie but when she screams she looks like a Jack O' Lantern!

Kazakhstan
    it has it's faults, but i love it.

the score is, on the whole, awful, but i like the weird recurring, swelling/bubbling noise motif (i dont know how to describe it really) that's right at the start.

the zombies are actually horrific in this film, they look disgusting without just being over the top (thought the green ones in day were a bit halloweeny), the one ben runs over then kills with a tyre iron is pretty disturbing.

plus the power powder when he hits that one ghoul in the face is cool. kung fu.

oh and that shot when the severed hand falls through the bannister, c'mon, that was great!

i think barbras post ripley macho thing is a bit naff nowadays. tony todd was cool, as always.

one really eerie bit is when they look up and see the ghouls banging around the petrol station. brr.

liked the ending too.

i didn't know people disliked it so much tbh, this is interesting...

Undisclosed
    i liked this movie, i saw it after the original and before the other 3
    so i wasnt expecting something mind bogglingly new
    I actually imagined the remake would be the same movie but with color and some better zombie effects

before seeing dawn i thought it would be just like night
    but in a mall
    instead i got a completely new and better movie

i imagined day to be like the story of the army vs. zombies, which is a really really epic thought
    tanks vs. zombies would be sweeettt
    anyhoo that didnt quite pan out but i liked day anyway

land just disappointed me, i was expecting some crazy zombie epic

so i guess this remake really did surprise me in how well done it is
    rock on savini!

United States
    I like the remake alot, but Harry saying "you yo yos!" was totally TV movie and incredibly stupid. And Barbara in the reamke, when I first saw it, I thought was obvious. It's just another kind of Cliche. The main problem with the remake is lack of grit. It has a made for TV look that I just hate. Thats not to say it didn't rock, it did.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    lol oh yeah "buncha yo yos!", jesus man, go easy on them!

Haiti
    I really liked Night 90', mostly for the way the zombies looked, I think they were
    just about spot on with that.
    Tony Todd is superb in this, perfect casting.
    Patricia Tallman? Mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    lol oh yeah "buncha yo yos!", jesus man, go easy on them!
    Liam, you're a yo yo!
    Last edited by Chakobsa; 11-Nov-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Undisclosed
    I see the remake for what it was, a way for the original creators to get back some of the cash they should have gotten the first time around. Yeah, nothing about it was terribly original (hey, it WAS a remake) but as far as remakes go, it turned out as well as any remake could have. And Tony Todd was great as Ben. Tom Towles as Harry...eck.
    "Move over, boys. I'm one of the gang now." - Mantan Moreland

United States
    The original NOTLD gave me zombie nightmares for three months straight from a single viewing! The remake I went to see three times in the theater, hoping I'd like it better each time, but didn't. A few years later, I came home from working a graveyard shift to find NOTLD '90 had just started on HBO. I sat down and fell in love with it. Given the choice, I will watch NOTLD '90 over the original nine times out of ten. Blasphemous, maybe, because I don't consider it to be superior to the original, but simply easier to just sit down and get into because it has been modernized and is in color. YMMV.

As a piece of trivia, Paul McCullough (Bill Hinzman's cousin) composed the soundtrack not only to the Savini remake, but to my zombie film, Legion of the Night (released in a reedited, retitled version as Dead City in the UK).

Bill Hinzman also starred in my film as Dr. Bloom, the mad scientist who creates Cybernetic Zombie Assassins for the Mafia. Bill was a joy to work with. I picked up in a limo at the Detroit airport back in '94 and let me tell you, there is nothing more surreal than cruising around the bombed-out ghettos of Old Detroit drinking champagne in the back of a limo with your childhood boogeyman! I kept looking at him out of the corner of my eye and expecting him to bite a chunk out of my arm! LOL
    Last edited by Todd Tjersland; 18-Jan-2007 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    DEATHBREED: A Zombie Novel
    by Todd Tjersland, The Visionary Overlord of American Horror
    Creator of The Necro Files and Faces of Gore

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Tjersland View Post
    As a piece of trivia, Paul McCullough (Bill Hinzman's cousin) composed the soundtrack...to the Savini remake.
    And in record time. The post production on that film was slashed to just a few weeks. I like what McCullough was able to do within the imposed limitations, indeed some pieces are incredibly evocative, but I still wish NOTLD90 had been afforded a 'real' score.

I had no idea he was Hinzman's cousin.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

United States

Two cents

It was what I think a remake should be like. Stay with the same spices that made the original kick ass but add a dash of originality. War of the worlds is a good example. In a way stayed with the same story line but mixed it up a bit. And as for a dead example, the dawn remake stayed with the basic formula but changed it up, but not to much where we wonder why the two movies have the same name.
    "Are you asking me if I think you're pretty or if I'll f*** you? Cause you don't have to be pretty for me to f*** you"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Chrome View Post
    Even though Night 90 is a remake of Night 68, I think it is best viewed as a stand alone piece. To refer back to the title of this reply, I don't think it is wise to compare the two, nor do I think it is fair.

I enjoyed Night 90 very much. I think it has many admirable qualities, both for technical and entertainment value. On the technical side, I liked the cinematography, particularly the compositions of shots that took place outside the house. I also like the lighting. It conveys a very dull feeling for the farm, which I think actually helps the mood of the movie overall. The make-up was great; I think Savini's vision for how the zombies should look was bold and daring. The fact that he didn't "overdo it" with the gore was a good choice, in my opinion. The glazed dead eyes of the zombies were a plus as well.

The acting was fine - not great, not inferior. For the script and the scenario, I think the cast did a fine and believable job. Kudos to Patricia and Tony in the lead parts, but I also think the supporting cast (especially the actor who played Mr. Cooper) were true to the spirit of the script and story.

P.S. - I like the fact that Barbara ends up shooting Cooper in the end. Just desserts, if you will allow me to use the phrase.

My 2 cents,

M.C.
    I think that's it's very hard not to compare any film in the zombie genre to GAR'S masterpieces. However, it's virtually impossible not to compare the remake of a film that created the genre, and maybe just as important, shares the same title.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"