Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Ahhh, beat me to it.

Anyways, yes, Night'90 is one of my favorite Zombie movies.
    what is funny about our loving this movie and calling it the best remake ever is that tom savini absolutely hates it. he understands that it is popular among zombie fans but he still detests it because of the, uh, "problems" that he encountered both during production and in post production.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States

I hate the truth

Being that i was just a white mark in my fathers jocky shorts when the original movie came out I can't really say that I was there to absorb the originality that the first night brought the screen. However I still like the original dawn compared to the new one(although the newer one is a great film in my opinion) so that may not play much in this equation, but I like you guys still like the savini night much better than the GAR night. Maybe its the color, maybe its the fact that Tony Todd played Ben to perfection, or even the fact that he jams a crowbar into a zombies skull. Or it could be that it lacks the annoying barb and gives us a more realistic character. I saw the remake first skimming showtime one night and it was the one zombie movie that brought me to gerne. Dawn just compleated the process. Once I had seen the original I was disappointed in that the whole time I was waiting for barb to snap out of her coma. And the way Ben died seemed kinda gay in my opinion compared to the way he goes out in the 90 version. Then agian this is one mans opinion
    "Are you asking me if I think you're pretty or if I'll f*** you? Cause you don't have to be pretty for me to f*** you"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    what is funny about our loving this movie and calling it the best remake ever is that tom savini absolutely hates it. he understands that it is popular among zombie fans but he still detests it because of the, uh, "problems" that he encountered both during production and in post production.
    No No, I was agreeing that "The Thing" is the best remake ever. But I do really enjoy Night'90. Sucks for Savini that the movie brings back bad memories, but he did a great job nevertheless.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Did anyone on here ever go to Savini's website and view the comic strip version of Night '90? I call it comic strip because of the way it was drawn and layed out. Like the daily comic strip in a newspaper. But it was the true version of Savini's Night. Just drawn out.

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Did anyone on here ever go to Savini's website and view the comic strip version of Night '90? I call it comic strip because of the way it was drawn and layed out. Like the daily comic strip in a newspaper. But it was the true version of Savini's Night. Just drawn out.
    The storyboards? Yeah, unfortunately the webmaster never got around to posting them all. There's a few samples that can be found in Grande Illusions Book II, though.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    No No, I was agreeing that "The Thing" is the best remake ever. But I do really enjoy Night'90. Sucks for Savini that the movie brings back bad memories, but he did a great job nevertheless.
    Carpenter's Thing is a different animal, I wouldn't even consider it a remake. Just a more accurate movie based on Who Goes There. The two have their similarities, but are so different. I saw the early 80s version not long after it came out, but the original is just too 1950s I guess. Hell, there's even a woman in it and they're talking about getting married in the end!
    Last edited by jim102016; 27-Apr-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    The storyboards? Yeah, unfortunately the webmaster never got around to posting them all. There's a few samples that can be found in Grande Illusions Book II, though.
    Yeah, it sucks the artist never finished the project. It seemed every week a new storyboard was added. For those who never saw them this is what it was about. It was Tom's true version of NOTLD without MPAA or Hollywood screwing with him. Since he was never allowed to make his own movie, a storyboard was created. Nothing was taken out. But it was like readying a comic strip in the newspaper. Everything was left in the storyboards. Gore, removed scenes, everything. Unfortunately, it was never completed. I wished the guy would hurry up and finish it. Its only been over ten years.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I like this version very much. The lack of gore doesn't bother me but the Zombie feast is a bit too tame- no entrails! Also the Harry Cooper character is too over-the-top. He goes way beyond the original Cooper and just comes off as a complete asshole. In the original, at least Harry was trying to protect his family. Here, he doesn't even seem to care at all for his dying daughter. And I hate the way he calls people yo-yo's.
    Otherwise, I think it's very well done and I like the ending. I would love to see a director's cut to see what Savini really envisioned.

United States

thread resurrection time

didn't want to start a new thread for this, but anyway:

over the weekend, AMC had a marathon of sorts going, and me and the new ladyfriend watched the original NotLD. this weekend she's coming out and i think i'm going to show her the remake....and it got me to wondering: wow, almost 20 years old....wonder if they'll release an anniversary edition dvd? (not like the 30th anniversary of the original night, hopefully)

pretty excited about this, it's always fun getting someone new stuck on the living dead genre.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 01-Dec-2009 at 03:51 AM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    he understands that it is popular among zombie fans but he still detests it because of the, uh, "problems" that he encountered both during production and in post production.
    That's too bad. With Romero/Streiner as Executive producers and Russo as a Producer, one would have thought they would have had enough control to let Savini make the film he wanted over the other producers. Wished they would have worked all of that out with the studio before the film went into production so we could have seen Savini's version.

Last edited by C5NOTLD; 01-Dec-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    With Romero/Streiner as Executive producers and Russo as a Producer, one would have thought they would have had enough control to let Savini make the film he wanted over the other producers.
    Russ Streiner has many great stories about that. He really needs to write a book.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    when ever i watch the four dead movies together, the remake of night gets a spin over the original

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    the remake of night gets a spin over the original
    I oughta drag you outside and feed you to those things!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I oughta drag you outside and feed you to those things!

it makes it more smooth instead of switching from black and white to color. keeps a modern feel if u watch night 90 then, dawn, day and land.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    when ever i watch the four dead movies together, the remake of night gets a spin over the original
    I do exactly the same thing sometimes. It gives it a different "feel".
    Kill 'em All