Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Well now if you think about it they had to do a lot more to set up shop in the original. They had to build the fake wall, set up the trucks, stock the "living area", take out the (hundreds?) of zombies already inside the mall, do something with the bodies, make an escape plan, etc, etc.
    Isn't it ironic that after all those "chores" were done that there was really nothing left for them to "live" for and that's around the time their malaise set in?

They should have built their asses a stronger wall, or thin out the herd that was gathering around the mall day after day.

I actually have a whole list of them .

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I'm not a fan of the Night remake. The farce of a "struggle" with the first zombie of the movie (oh, let's have the "oops, I'm hitting the worng guy" gag happen repeatedly here) made me almost turn it off, but I toughed it out.

It did get better from there thankfully, but I groaned a lot at Barbra drinking a glass of Insta-Badass about 40 minutes in. It was downhill from there.

And then they take the best part of the whole movie (the irony of Ben surviving this hell only to get accidentally killed) and change it. Duh.
    Last edited by SRP76; 24-Feb-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Night remake. The farce of a "struggle" with the first zombie of the movie (oh, let's have the "oops, I'm hitting the worng guy" gag happen repeatedly here) made me almost turn it off, but I toughed it out.

It did get better from there thankfully, but I groaned a lot at Barbra drinking a glass of Insta-Badass about 40 minutes in. It was downhill from there.

And then they take the best part of the whole movie (the irony of Ben surviving this hell only to get accidentally killed) and change it. Duh.
    The super thin zombie coming through the window, and being shot (by Patricia Tallman), IMHO is one of the most impressive zombie moments of any of them...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    In the remake it's like "Hey! There's a mall!", "We're in the mall!", "Only two zombies in here!", "they can't get in through the shatterproof glass, so let's not even bother!".

That's pretty much it. The whole "plan" of taking over the mall consists of them walking through the doors and shutting them behind them. No blocking the doors, no setting up of living areas, not enough zombies to hurt anyone, no stocking, no escape plans, nothing.
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The major "what would you do" aspect of deciding to stay in the mall and the resultant securing of the mall was filtered down into a 5 minute walk around scene. And then they used the extra time for dudes trying on women's shoes, zombie baby, and guys saving girl saving dog scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    ...but I groaned a lot at Barbra drinking a glass of Insta-Badass about 40 minutes in. It was downhill from there.
    Amen.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    The Dawn remake had to be done the way it was, with the zombies that were being used. With running Superman zombies, you're not "securing" jack shit. You're getting three feet, then being eaten.

The only way there was going to be a movie in a mall was if it were already locked down and pretty much zombie-free.

England
    Yep Dawn 04 could've been better (name me a film that couldn't have been improved one way or another). But it's nothing like the car crash that some folks make it out to be.

Oh, and as for Night 90, skinny snake zombie rocked!

Barbara simply nailed what I did on my very first viewing of GARs zombies - "they're so slow..."

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Yep Dawn 04 could've been better (name me a film that couldn't have been improved one way or another). But it's nothing like the car crash that some folks make it out to be.

Barbara simply nailed what I did on my very first viewing of GARs zombies - "they're so slow..."

I loved Dawn 04 a real popcorn action movie, its not better that Dawn 78, but its hell of alot better than most of the zombie movies of late.

I love them both, tbh they really only share the title together, both are quite different films.

I'm hoping that the crazies film will have a similar feel for me as Dawn 04 did

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    I'm hoping that the crazies film will have a similar feel for me as Dawn 04 did
    If by similar you mean lacking any real substance, most reviews are saying that is exactly what you're going to get...

Great Britain
    If by similar you mean lacking any real substance, most reviews are saying that is exactly what you're going to get...
    Meh each to their own, either you like it or you don't no point fighting about it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Meh each to their own, either you like it or you don't no point fighting about it.
    Not at all, man. You said Dawn04 was a popcorn flick. I was just saying that's what i'm hearing about The Crazies.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    If I recall, Savini was in a taxi and that guy was the taxi driver, and Savini asked him to be a zombie in the remake.

What gets me about that scene is to me (a) it just looks just like a zombie should, no over the top teeth, ridges for eyebrows, big teeth, silly contact lenses or godzilla screams, (b) the bullets going into him, which of course were not CGI, just looked amazing!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Why did this Night90 take so long to come out in the uk?
    Last edited by bushcraft; 08-Mar-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    I am running this monkeyfarm

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What gets me about that scene is to me (a) it just looks just like a zombie should, no over the top teeth, ridges for eyebrows, big teeth, silly contact lenses or godzilla screams

Yeah man, I can't stand that either.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Yeah man, I can't stand that either.

^^^

That frankly looks shite doesn't it

This is far more scary...

-Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Not at all, man. You said Dawn04 was a popcorn flick. I was just saying that's what i'm hearing about The Crazies.
    The Crazies 2010 has a shedload more going for it than Yawn04, and has definitely got more smarts about it, even if it has less than the original ... and what's more, it doesn't have some stupid teenage girl fucking everyone's already stupid plan up by going after a frickin' dog.

Here's what I made of it, by-the-by:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/03/crazies.html

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^^

That frankly looks shite doesn't it

This is far more scary...

To be fair to Big Daddy, that's 3 years into an outbreak, so he's probably quite an old zombie - the real problem was that the back of his head was pretty much as-is, which was daft.

Biggy D's teeth look much better than some teeth recent zombies have been given. D's teeth just look skanky - like they haven't been cleaned for years - whereas some recent zombies suddenly get full-on orthodontic nightmares in their mouths after becoming a zombie, which makes no sense at all.

The ridges around the eyes and brow ... obviously it's supposed to try and emulate a sunken face, but more often than not it just looks like what it is - prosthetics built on top of someone's existing, plenty healthy, face.

Indeed, the zombies in Night 90 are perhaps the most realistic zombies - the milky eyes, the slightly larger ears, the emaciated look - even though that's very early into an outbreak, mind you, but the realism to the dead folk (such as the cemetery zombie - his coffin suit sliced up the back and everything, plus a Y-incision on his chest) in that flick was top notch.

It really made them feel lifeless - like when Todd's Ben appears in the cellar doorway as a zombie, you really feel like it's an actual zombie, and not just Tony Todd wearing make-up - whatever Ben was, he's no longer there.

I think more lessons should be learned RE zombie make-up from Night 90 than anywhere else, to be honest. There was a technical honesty to their look that really worked - if they'd taken that and added 3 years to it, then Land would have had top notch zombies (although I'm less critical than some of you folks are of them).