Thread: Top 10 Gaming Controversies

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Top 10 Gaming Controversies

There were a couple of things that i thought were insensitive at most but it's funny how people make a big fuss over nothing.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1050144p1.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Must have been some real quiet "controversy", since most of those games haven't been even mentioned outside gaming circles.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Pretty surprised Modern Warfare 2 wasn't on that list for "No Russian".

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    OMG I remember most of those...Night Trap - that caused major stink over here!!! LOL, it's soooooo rubbish too.

I also remember Splatterhouse 3 nearly getting banned because of it's content...

I also remember The Getaway causing issues because you got to kill a BT van driver which BT got very very upset with, and the game had to be re-released with a different van I think (cable and wireless hahaha)

God man, there has been so many "controversies" - but really I think this article and the world in general needs to redefine what "controversy" actually means! For instance, when the bible bashing nutjobs start clucking like scared chickens over a game they haven't even seen the cover of - well that's not controversy, that's just a bunch of twats getting upset with whatever they can aim and fire at, at that particular time.

True controversy should be defined as when the general public and game playing public find true outrage in a game...ie: if you could kill kids in fallout 3, and it was part of the game and even rewarded you with killing kids in the worst way possible, well, that would be controversial...

Your average Jerry Springer guest has no right to claim controversy over anything, because they are wired to be upset with anything that seemingly violates the space between their eyes and the brick wall in front of them.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

capncnut
    I am amazed that Mass Effect is in there because the sex scene is like thirty seconds long and you don't see nish. Fahrenheit was much more graphic and you could actually control Lucas while he's fucking Tiffany.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Mass Effect is in that list because it caused a nation-wide stir with the media and conservative folk/parents. There were segments on CNN and Fox News and whatnot about it. I recall seeing a panel of Fox right-wingers going off on how the game will destroy America's youth and then two gamers completely destroying their arguments. Of course, the gamers were just guff'd at by the panel and quickly dismissed as being ridiculous.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Didn't the original Mortal Kombat cause a great deal of trouble? I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    yeah it did cos it featured photos of real people as character models, that and the fact that there were "fatalities" in the game...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    True controversy should be defined as when the general public and game playing public find true outrage in a game...ie: if you could kill kids in fallout 3, and it was part of the game and even rewarded you with killing kids in the worst way possible, well, that would be controversial...
    You mean like in Fallout 2?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Did that happen?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I am amazed that Mass Effect is in there because the sex scene is like thirty seconds long and you don't see nish. Fahrenheit was much more graphic and you could actually control Lucas while he's fucking Tiffany.
    yeah but indigo prophecies was part fo the plot and the characters actually built a romance together through abnormal situations.
    -in mass effect the bue chick who i never used just suddenly whent "games about to end, wanna fuck?" and voila!, just seemed to be there for bonings sake, you never got the impression that sheppard and her shared something.

-then again maybe i was just a suave british motherfucker picking all the right things to say, god knows how i got my guy to do the same with morrigan after doing my first quest in the wizard tower.

United States
    Ha, those were funny, but the best part was when I went to watch some gameplay from Night Trap. Dana Plato from Diff'rent Strokes is one of the chicks...

Somehow I ended up watching vids of Gary Coleman attacking white guys. Go figure. Wierd tangent...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ah yes. You tubing things can definitely lead down wierd paths.

Just don't forget to clear your browser.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Just don't forget to clear your browser.

I did that right after I got done Windexing the screen.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Did that happen?
    In Fallout 2 you could kill kids and then get a "Child Killer"-trait.