Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Official Jericho Thread (Spoiler Warning)

Fiji
    or torrent, once my internet at home get fixed..........

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CivilDefense View Post
    The only issue I can see is that... If the rest of the world is fine? how can this show run more than two seasons?
    It's not. We find out that several more cities have been hit, and it's not a complete list.

Second ep is up on CBS's Intertube site. Good episode. Neat gunfight.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    heres the link to the second ep on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3POL...elated&search=

Administrator

England
    Well just watched the 2nd episode....

How can the series carry on if all that fallout lands on them? Some areas would be no go - depending on radiation doses - and water and food etc would all be contaminated for years! Are the next 12 episodes all in bunkers?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well just watched the 2nd episode....

How can the series carry on if all that fallout lands on them? Some areas would be no go - depending on radiation doses - and water and food etc would all be contaminated for years! Are the next 12 episodes all in bunkers?
    Well,...

A lot of what we were taught about nuclear bombs here was in the event of an all out nuclear strike...more than one multi megaton bomb hitting all major population centers. We don't know if these were kiloton suitcase bombs or even single megaton bombs let alone a standard 20 megaton warhead on a missile. Limited strike bombs do not have fallout that is dangerous for decades that extends far beyond ground zero.

That makes it all the more scary that someone may use one.

Fiji
    the nuke they saw in the distance, was defenitely a full scale one. the coud was too big to be a suitcase unit.

i have to admit i'm curious how they're going to figure a way out of it.

Undisclosed
    Lots of what people 'know' about nuclear war, fallout, radiation and such is simply untrue.

It'd take about 2 weeks for fallout in most areas to dissapate to the point it'd be 'safe' to be outside for short periods of time, safe meaning without risking death or incapaction.

It'd be 2-3 years in most areas before the fallout fell to US peace time 'safe' standards.

Wartime standards tend to be looser than peacetime standards.

Besides, bombs detonated against soft targets like cities, factories, and airfields will probably be airbursts, which means less fallout than a ground burst. There wasn't fallout at Hiromshima or Nagasaki, both airbursts.

The size or most bombs in the nuclear arsenals or the would are not multi megaton bombs, but bombs in the 250-600 kiloton range. The bombs got smaller when targetin gbecame more precise, and you could stick smaller warheads on a Multiple Independent Reentry Vehicle missle and have one missile target numerous sites.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    There wasn't fallout at Hiromshima or Nagasaki, both airbursts.

Hrmmm....No fallout at Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I guess those shows on the History/Discover/Science channels lied to me ...

Administrator

England
    In effect the entire mushroom cloud is potential fallout. Material sucked up from ground level and irradiated to different degrees.

As you suggest the fact the bombs were air-bursts does decrease the amount of radioactive fallout, but does not eliminate it.

At Hiroshima and Nagasaki, fallout wasn't measured - The US was mainly interested in testing the explosive power of the devices, and not their non-immediate effects.

However, "black rain" was recorded as starting with tens of minutes at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and continued for hours. In fact at Nagasaki I think it carried on for most of the day of the blast.

ps: Those poor poor hundreds of thousands of people
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    hmm...so the people hat looked like blistery charcoal i saw in history last week called "pictures of fallout survivors" must have been a hoax then.

oh dear....

Super Moderator

Germany
    OK, it looks like there was negligible radiation fallout from that storm. This could mean a number of things. They obviously knew it was a potential threat. It could mean that the fallout hasn't reached the weather system that hits Jericho yet, or that the fallout was less than expected, or nukes were not used, or low kilotonage neutron bombs were used localizing and short living some of the radiation effect.

It looks like Witchita and Kansas City are toast as well as Portland and either Austin or Dallas.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    In effect the entire mushroom cloud is potential fallout. Material sucked up from ground level and irradiated to different degrees.

As you suggest the fact the bombs were air-bursts does decrease the amount of radioactive fallout, but does not eliminate it.
    Correct but a proper ground burst will generate Oh so much more fallout. Im thinking terrorists arent going to have megaton sized bombs that would heave such huge craters into the ground however.
    --snip--
    A useful rule-of-thumb is the "rule of sevens". This rule states that for every seven-fold increase in time following a fission detonation (starting at or after 1 hour), the radiation intensity decreases by a factor of 10. Thus after 7 hours, the residual fission radioactivity declines 90%, to one-tenth its level of 1 hour. After 7*7 hours (49 hours, approx. 2 days), the level drops again by 90%. After 7*2 days (2 weeks) it drops a further 90%; and so on for 14 weeks. The rule is accurate to 25% for the first two weeks, and is accurate to a factor of two for the first six months. After 6 months, the rate of decline becomes much more rapid. The rule of sevens corresponds to an approximate t^-1.2 scaling relationship.

--snip--

my point earlier was that if they didnt blow up canada and mexico.. the rest of the world. whats the point, wheres it going, I would imagine we would be invaded pretty quickly.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Hey guys,

I moved this thread to the media forum and retitled the thread. I thought this weeks episode was interesting with the folks from Jericho trying to help the doomed refugees from Denver's suburbs.

I am still trying to figure out the "secret agent" angle.