Thread: Need help remembering a title in the fiction section

Haiti

Need help remembering a title in the fiction section

A while back I read a really good story in the fiction section about a guy who works as a machinist/engineer making things for the scattered communities that form in an undead world.
    It was a really good story but I can't for the life of me remember what the damn thing is called. Can anyone help?
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

United States
    You need to add in more details to identify the story.

United Kingdom
    Isn't that the one where a female survivor comes in and he teaches her to do the machine work as well, ends off with her not picking the good looking soldier as the machinest expected

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by Dommm View Post
    Isn't that the one where a female survivor comes in and he teaches her to do the machine work as well, ends off with her not picking the good looking soldier as the machinest expected
    That's the one. It's bugging the hell out of me 'cause I really liked the story and can't for the life of me remember it's name.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Undisclosed
    If you can still search by author, do a search for "Tom Martin". The story you are describing sounds very similar to one he wrote, and I'm almost certain that he's the author you are looking for. But I don't remember the title either, so an author search, if that option still exists, would bring up all of his stories and you could search from there.

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    If you can still search by author, do a search for "Tom Martin". The story you are describing sounds very similar to one he wrote, and I'm almost certain that he's the author you are looking for. But I don't remember the title either, so an author search, if that option still exists, would bring up all of his stories and you could search from there.
    I've had a look and I don't think it's one of his, thanks for the help though.
    BTW, Wooley; "Not that room, NOT THAT ROOM!!"
    Marquis De Sade.

Fresh Meat

United States
    I think you mean "Safety" and I don't think it's still posted.
    I would not mind you in my head, if you were not so clearly mad.
    -Lews Therin Telamon

I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard.
    -Lews Therin Telamon

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I think you mean "Safety" and I don't think it's still posted.
    Sad, to say I think you're right. I can't find it.
    Thanks for the help, guys.
    Marquis De Sade.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    Wooley is right, but unfortunately that contribution is "disabled", due to the author requesting it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    He's pretty easy to get ahold of though, and he LOOOOOOOOOVES to talk about his fiction with 'fans'. PM me and I will give you his email addy.

Fresh Meat

United States
    Tom Martin was GrimStories right?
    I would not mind you in my head, if you were not so clearly mad.
    -Lews Therin Telamon

I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard.
    -Lews Therin Telamon

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Tom Martin was GrimStories right?
    You are correct sir.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    He's pretty easy to get ahold of though, and he LOOOOOOOOOVES to talk about his fiction with 'fans'. PM me and I will give you his email addy.
    Shame his stuff isn't still available because it was well written etc!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan