View Poll Results: When will we find life elsewhere in the solar system?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2020-2029

8 38.10%
  • 2030-2039

0 0%
  • 2040-2049

3 14.29%
  • 2050-2059

1 4.76%
  • 2060 or later

6 28.57%
  • Never, it doesn't exist

3 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When will we find life elsewhere in the solar system?

Administrator

England

When will we find life elsewhere in the solar system?

Could be on the Mars, the moons of Jupitor or Saturn?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    In this solar system? Never ever, doesn't exist. In the Galaxy or Universe is another matter, but we won't get there in thousands of years (if at all).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    In this solar system? Never ever, doesn't exist. In the Galaxy or Universe is another matter, but we won't get there in thousands of years (if at all).
    You don't think even some bacteria may exist on Mars, Enceladus or Europa for example?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Its really hard to say.....

Any of these upcoming missions could show us something that gives us indisputable evidence for life elsewhere.....

But they could not....

Im going to be optimistic and say 2020-2029

The more time passes the more likely we will find it but it could happen at any moment.....we already have some evidence for life on other planets (Mars) but nothing conclusive.....

Saying that flat out we wont find life within our solar system at all because its impossible for it to have existed seems a bit silly...because theres nothing we have learned so far that would lead us to suspect that its impossible

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

capncnut
    2060 or later. None of us know whether there is life in our solar system but I think not. The only way we will truly know is when we have conquered the outer reaches of the system like the Kuiper Belt or the Oort Cloud. A Pluto mission is currently underway so that deals with the Kuiper Belt. Maybe when they set up a mission to Sedna then we'll have a broader idea of the situation. According to NASA, Sedna is the closest thing that resembles the Earth in our system and a mission to go there is inevitable.

United States
    Does microscopic life count? If so probes have already found ice and water deposits on Mars. Where there is water there is life.

As for intelligent life in the solar system, it can be argued humanity has been visited at various times in our history. Perhaps ET has decided to remain hidden until the earth becomes more civilized. At this point we are too barbaric and warlike. A few live among us observing our culture and development, much like we would send anthropologists to live among a tribe of natives.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I think there might be something equivalent to humans on Mars. Time will tell....

Probably not in our lifetime.

capncnut
    Now I see why we have all these science polls. Cliximus Maximus.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Now I see why we have all these science polls. Cliximus Maximus.
    Frustrating isn't it! Chances are those caves won't be explored even in the next 50yrs
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Yeah I know. I believe these caves warrant an immediate mission. Why send probes to Pluto when you got something as exciting as this next door. Surely they can send some kind of bot in there with a light...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Yeah I know. I believe these caves warrant an immediate mission. Why send probes to Pluto when you got something as exciting as this next door. Surely they can send some kind of bot in there with a light...
    I don't think they're going to find anything on the floor/walls of the caves themselves, but these caves offer a easy way of getting well below the surface of Mars. If you could get into one, and do some digging/tests in them, that's surely where you're going to find something - ie: Tucked away from the more unfriendly conditions up-above...
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    Personally I think it will be a while before we find intelligent life, hundreds-thousands of years, we might find micro organisms within our own solar system. As far as intelligent life goes it may take us many years but it may come to us sooner mwah hahahha

capncnut
    Can you imagine if the bot found wall drawings/carvings. All that time spent wondering where they were and the buggers were sitting next to us all along. Imagine the tabloids? Imagine the outcry amoungst christians and religious leaders? N.A.S.A. need to work on this right away 'cos it's probably the biggest clue they have discovered thus far.

Man, what if there was a monolith down there? Why not, Clarke has predicted pretty much everything else.
    Last edited by capncnut; 03-Apr-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think on titan or netune there may be something, not advanced, hell not even cavemen level or even cattle level, maybe bugs and cuttlefish and stuff at the most advanced, or maybe like pulsating silicon based crystals that are sentient or some ****, who knows, ive allways like the saying form jurassic park two "life will find a way".

and yeah, cave drawings would be awesome, id like to see what intelligent design would make of that.

- not a snide jab, honestly ,id love to see what a religous view that doesnt believe in evolution would make of life on another rock.

though technically "god created the heaven and earth" probably would mean xenobiology on mars would be moreaccepted than man with a tail and fur.

i deifnatley think theres life out in the infinite expanses of the ether but an intelligent civilisation?, nowere near us i reckon, and if there is, theyll probably be getting videos of hitler right now talking about the final solution, which if i was an alien would be a good sign to stay away from those freaky ass hairless monkeys from the blueplanet.

they should just stay at home on marklar.

EDIT - i think i am officially the first person in homepage of the dead history to use the word cuttlefish in a post.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You don't think even some bacteria may exist on Mars, Enceladus or Europa for example?
    Nope.