Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Devils Rejects...

Administrator

England

The Devils Rejects...

...not particularly impressed with it

Just seemed an excuse for cheep pointless graphic violence. Shame...

Couple of interesting ideas and scenes, but too much mindless unecessary stuff going on IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Really? That's how I felt about Zombie's first film, but I was captivated by Rejects from beginning to end.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... strange. I thought it was an excellent piece of work. Now, I was really into House of 1000 Corpses, but it had many-a-flaw ... TDR came along and knocked it right out of the park, Zombie really reigned everything in and made a polished product of rather gritty proportions.

Zombie's take on violence was to make it grotesque, in the DVD making of "30 Days In Hell" he talks about his take on the violence in the film and his intentions with it. He wanted it to be tough to watch, because that's what violence is, he was sick of violence and killing being something to enjoy and entertain in other horror films. I have to say I think he did a good job with the violence, there's a time and a place for the style he used, and I think he employed it correctly...

Something else that really impressed me was Zombie's ability to make the audience sympathise and actually end up on the side of the bad guys every now and then, despite the fact they're evil, sadistic maniacs ... now to me, that's some badass writing.

Just my tuppence...

ViP

United States
    Neil, stick to the corny SciFi You should have been impressed with DR, at least from a technical standpoint. It was shot on super16 and it looks amazing. I love both films, but I always found it strange how DR gets a pass from critics and 1000 corpses was pretty much universally bashed. Part 1 I can understand, because it is a grindhouse homage that isn't for everyone. Part 2 though, if you read the reviews you'd think this flick is for everyone. I find it twice as disturbing as the original, but for some reason the reviews are twice as good.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think Neil's getting softer in his movie tastes these days? Maybe it's the family man in him that's coming out?

Anyway, TDR really amped everything up and was a great piece of filmmaking. Zombie clearly studied H1KC very closely (it was shot in 2000 after all) and sought to fix everything he wasn't liking. And who couldn't dig the "Free Bird" ending, it's pure genius.

United States
    Sorry guys I am a horror movie lover from a way back and those movies of Rob Zombies in my opinion suck snot!! ewwwww
    I almost went out and bout the movie House of a 1,000 Zombies purely becauese it was a zombie movie but thankfully it came on HBO and viewed it first..wowww saved some money there!!!
    Hey that movie reminds me of another movie I saw years ago maybe you have seen it..its called "American Gothic" ya it sucked too! Just as out there but not a zombe movie!
    BTW..I have posted many times a zombie move is a zombie movie and I will watch any and all but that House of a 1,000 Zombies is the exception! lol opps had to go back and edit left a word out lol
    Last edited by Debbieangel; 16-Sep-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Zombie's take on violence was to make it grotesque, in the DVD making of "30 Days In Hell" he talks about his take on the violence in the film and his intentions with it. He wanted it to be tough to watch, because that's what violence is, he was sick of violence and killing being something to enjoy and entertain in other horror films. I have to say I think he did a good job with the violence, there's a time and a place for the style he used, and I think he employed it correctly...

Something else that really impressed me was Zombie's ability to make the audience sympathise and actually end up on the side of the bad guys every now and then, despite the fact they're evil, sadistic maniacs ... now to me, that's some badass writing.
    Yes, the violence was hard to watch, but it was there just for the sake of it IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy some of it, but these tended to be the more character orientated parts. I would have enjoyed more of that!

As for sympathising with them? I was all up for the cop to torture them and possibly finished them off, and was disappointed with the uber predictable "tiny" moment.

It sort of reminded me of "Wolf Creek" which is very hard to watch at times, BUT, there was far more of a story and characterisation in that so the violence was carried better if you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Neil, stick to the corny SciFi You should have been impressed with DR, at least from a technical standpoint. It was shot on super16 and it looks amazing. I love both films, but I always found it strange how DR gets a pass from critics and 1000 corpses was pretty much universally bashed. Part 1 I can understand, because it is a grindhouse homage that isn't for everyone. Part 2 though, if you read the reviews you'd think this flick is for everyone. I find it twice as disturbing as the original, but for some reason the reviews are twice as good.

It did look very good... I found it very disturbing... But there was nothing else really for me...
    Last edited by Neil; 16-Sep-2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    House of a Thousand Corpses wasn't a Zombie film. unless you meant Rob Zombie?

it is more like a different take on the Texas Chainsaw series.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    It is like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Funhouse mixed with Natural Born Killers. Obviously, this isn't intelectually stimulating material, but I love the visuals and I am a fool for some ol' redneck horror.

Super Moderator

UK
    Axlish - aye, I too was very into the visual stylings of House of 1000 Corpses , all very stylish but not a lot of substance, TDR on the other hand had a lot more substance with a refined style.

Neil - I too dug Wolf Creek, quite a few here didn't, but I was into it. I see what you mean, I think the characterisation in the film though was more separated from the violence - like character story first, then pure violence/running around second ... whereas TDR mixed the characterisation throughout with the violence, similarly, throughout the flick. I preferred TDR though, there was some parts after the camp fire with the Aussie in Wolf Creek that just pissed me off to no end as they were incredibly cliched ... a little while later most of it was sorted out, but it was the fact the uber-cliched moments were in there in the first place that annoyed me...but that was the biggest annoyance. Otherwise I thought it was a good flick.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    House of a Thousand Corpses wasn't a Zombie film. unless you meant Rob Zombie?

I agree with you 100% thats what sucked me into watching it in the first place! Then I thought Where are the zombies? But, did you like it?

United States
    I'm just glad they let the Doctor Satan thing die.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Undisclosed
    I personally didn't care for Corpse's, but TDR, oh boy!!!

That film knocked me socks off!!!

It threw me back to the Hills Have Eyes or Chainsaw massacre.

Very gritty and tough to watch, but that was what the sadistic twisted people the fireflys were!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Super Moderator

UK
    Have you checked out the deleted scenes? The one bit with Dr Satan is in there, features the rather tasty Rosario Dawson as a nurse who gets, to say the least, rather damn bloody. Zombie put it in for the fans initially, but took it out as it wasn't tying in with the original movie, there was no need to have even seen 1000 Corpses to see TDR ... good decision.

Haiti
    Neil, if you found the film disturbing and hard to watch in places then didn't it do it's job, partly at least? After all, any piece of art, be it film, painting or whatever demands a response from it's audience.
    I enjoyed the way the film got me to like the Firefly family despite them being a bunch of psychos capable of and actually inflicting all kinds of hideous atrocities on their hapless victims.
    Wolf Creek rocked BTW, the bad guy was totally credible, remember Hannah Arendt's famous comment on the "Banality of evil"?
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.