Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oi camera nerds...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If you have a budget of $350K sure you can afford to buy one. However, for us guys making films in the range of $100 - $10,000.00 You can't drop that kinda of cash on it. I am sure the camera will be sweet, but still without footage to see who would plop down that kind of scratch?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, you've got to know your limits and work within them to the best of your ability. As you know I make "literally-no-budget" films and will soon (hopefully!) be upgrading to that mythical DVX100B, by using inheritence money from last year. If it wasn't for that money, I'd have no chance of getting it.

I agree with making a good product, but the "think big" thing is lost on some people and they go far beyond their means and make the process a living hell for themselves, I'm all for K.I.S.S. ... as well as keeping it quality.

And yeah, if you've got $350,000 to drop on a film then it's well within your means (I too would still prefer some evidence though), but not many of us are being blessed as such ... well, good luck with the $350k film though ... hmm, I'm going to go watch my Monday morning downloads.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    The Red team has made some exciting promises regarding specs, but keep in mind guys, this is still basically a concept camera, all advertised specs are subject to change. The $17,000 price tag is body only, and the design for that is even in a state of flux, so that is essentailly the price for the sensor. Someone mentioned using still lenses, which might be good enough for shooting 1080, but definitely not 4k. Speaking of 4k, can you say 300 mb/second. That's what you're going to need. A shooting ratio of 5:1, which is unheard of in the indie video world, that works out to 5 tb/hour. Anyone want a crack at posting that in their bedroom ? There was a lot of talk earlier about 11 or even 15 stops of lattitude, which the company has recently tried to distance itself from. There is clearly a lot of developlment left to do on this camera, but if they can deliver most of what they are promising it will be quite impressive. But it would make more sense as a rental for indie features. Ownership is well within the budget of many indie's, but the support network needed (theoretically)to use this camera to it's fullest potential is not. Many people who buy this camera may not realize this until it's too late, and may end up shooting 1080 on a $20,000 dollar camera, advertising on craigslist for a focus puller willing to work for the "opportunity".

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LD-50 View Post
    The Red team has made some exciting promises regarding specs, but keep in mind guys, this is still basically a concept camera, all advertised specs are subject to change. The $17,000 price tag is body only, and the design for that is even in a state of flux, so that is essentailly the price for the sensor. Someone mentioned using still lenses, which might be good enough for shooting 1080, but definitely not 4k. Speaking of 4k, can you say 300 mb/second. That's what you're going to need. A shooting ratio of 5:1, which is unheard of in the indie video world, that works out to 5 tb/hour. Anyone want a crack at posting that in their bedroom ? There was a lot of talk earlier about 11 or even 15 stops of lattitude, which the company has recently tried to distance itself from. There is clearly a lot of developlment left to do on this camera, but if they can deliver most of what they are promising it will be quite impressive. But it would make more sense as a rental for indie features. Ownership is well within the budget of many indie's, but the support network needed (theoretically)to use this camera to it's fullest potential is not. Many people who buy this camera may not realize this until it's too late, and may end up shooting 1080 on a $20,000 dollar camera, advertising on craigslist for a focus puller willing to work for the "opportunity".
    See guys LD-50 knows his stuff. This is why we need him him fulltime in this forum to help us get our gear together for shooting good projects.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    The guy is a god among camera tech guys, I'm tellin' ya ... hey Dj, have you noticed any weird glows, possibly with a kind of angelic "ahhhh-ahhh-ahhhhhhhhhhh" audio floating around him?

Seriously, to the people who aren't aware of LD's top notch know-how, pay attention to his noggin talk.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The guy is a god among camera tech guys, I'm tellin' ya ... hey Dj, have you noticed any weird glows, possibly with a kind of angelic "ahhhh-ahhh-ahhhhhhhhhhh" audio floating around him?

Seriously, to the people who aren't aware of LD's top notch know-how, pay attention to his noggin talk.

And anyone doubting his cinematography skills check out the trailers for DEADLANDS.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    (shameless plug) Or Eating Habits!

http://www.spaghettiindustries.com/eatinghabits

Undisclosed
    Hey, guys, I wasn't saying, I had that kinda money, it's still pretty preliminary negotiations with the Exec producer of the last feature I did FX for. But I can hope, it's not total fantasyland. It's much more likely that I'd really be working in the same budget ranges as everybody else here. I cut my teeth on no and low budget films, and know what you can produce with pocket change and a bunch of dedication. The biggest budget film I've worked on was still only around 2 1/2 mil, which is still nothing by industry standards. Ya work with what ya got. The script I was talking about I couldn't even think of shooting for under 150K and get what I want, but there are plenty of much smaller scale stuff I'd like to do

Just a little techno-lust, if the camera is what they say it'll be, should be a damn nice thing for the price. That's all. And I was awake for about 60 hours when I posted that, so a little slack, eh?
    Last edited by 7feet; 19-Sep-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    lol ... ease off the knee-stroking and salavating there ... I know what you mean with techno-lust, when I started looking for a pro camera recently I saw one straight away and was all bonered up for up and then Dj and LD breathed some reality into my sails and now I'm set on the DVX100BE ... stock is apparently assuredly coming THIS WEEK ... I canny wait captain, I doonay have the powerrrr!!! (I actually had a DVX dream the other week )

Geez, 60 hours? Damn ... not even Jack Bauer manages that!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    It's natural to want to work with cutting edge technology, and to want the newest shiniest thing, but also remember a camera can't shoot a film for you. Just as important, in fact more important, is knowing the craft. Knowing how to properly light and cover a scene, and how to construct a visual narrative will make your film look good. You could shoot on a Genesis, and without these essential elements of cinema, it's still going to look amateurish.

Super Moderator

UK
    Never have truer words been spoken LD ... see people, this guy's got his noggin' on straight.

Indeed, it's like when people insist on making a really long film because "that's how films should be", but it'd just be better to keep is short and sweet. For instance, ever see "City of Rott"? Now, there's something which would have made a really nice 30 minute short film, but it went on and on for 76 minutes (and the credits took the credits joke too far in my opinion, hehe).

Like you said, know your craft (this is one of the reasons I don't like these film courses here in the UK - some of the courses I mean - that just boot you out onto the street with some equipment and say "go film something"). There's a guy I know (an asshole incidentally) who went to one of these courses, and they're just running around with a camera making each other laugh. Now you might learn some stuff in the process, but it's not taken seriously and quite frankly it's like taking a High School course and making you pay twenty plus grand for the privilege.

And with that in mind (knowing your craft), experimentation is a great way to learn on your own and try out the technical skills, and of course - knowing how to write is extremely important. You can be all flash with the technical stuff, but if you can't make a decent story then it's all a waste in the end.

And of course, learning is a process that's never finished...so when you meet someone who's so arrogant to claim they know how to do everything without actually doing much, you just wanna slap some reality into them.

I'm gonna stop ranting now, lol...a good piece of kit in the right hands (or at least hands totally up for learning how to do stuff right) is worth a lot in the end...

United States
    MZ - does this mean you're gonna be filming "I Am Zombie Man 2" on the DVX100? w00t!!! (did I just say that outloud? d'oh!)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    MZ - does this mean you're gonna be filming "I Am Zombie Man 2" on the DVX100? w00t!!! (did I just say that outloud? d'oh!)
    No no No... he has to do Ask a Zombie or the Zombie Man Xmas Special.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, I've got followers!!

Yes indeed Lou, the next Zombie Man outing (which I'll just refer to easily as "IAZM2" for now) will be filmed on the Panasonic DVX100B *creams-self a little*, so I'll join you in a celebratory "woot".

And like Dj was saying, it is going to be a mix of 'ask zombie man' and 'zombie man's xmas message' ... at least that's the plan now, but I'll most definately be getting you lot (when the time comes) to hit me up with questions to refer to Zombie Man himself...

See, I'm so rich and famous now that I'm getting my fans to write my work for me! Next thing I'll do is bring out an endless slew of almost identical special editions and box sets.

Speaking of the DVX100B, I've got another short film idea for it ... but ... shock horror ... it isn't a comedy, and it isn't a horror! But IAZM2 is still the plan, filming between Xmas and New Year.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    We demand a sequel... NOW!

Get that damn camera... and go do the "I am Zombie Man Halloween special" You could have running around the neighborhood trying to eat the little trick or treaters.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!