Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead news

Dying

Undisclosed

Undisclosed
    Well, its starting to sound a bit better.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Takes place over a 24 hour period?

United States
    I'm sure I will see it in theaters and buy the unrated directors cut on dvd

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    24 hours, initial outbreak... itīs the same old history...

capncnut

This is a joke, innit?

This is a joke, innit? At first I find out that there's a remake of Day (will this make Land the quickest remake ever?) and then I'm told Rhodes is being played by Ving Rhames. Say what? Ving Rhames AGAIN!!! As much I enjoyed the remake of Dawn (in that 'sort of' way) I think it's way too soon to be releasing Day again. In fact, why release it at all. Why not be semi-original for a change and add to the library of Romero-set stories so that us zombie freaks can have more enthusiastic things to talk about than half-baked remakes. I first saw Dawn in 1981 when I was 8 and it changed my life forever! Now (many years later) it really pisses me off when I have to sit through countless un-original rip-off's and remakes (except Savini's) that it is bordering on physical symptoms. Land was the last great zombie movie and before that, it's only Day. These writers have to make the story progress a little more before a truly stunning movie of the original Dawn's calibre can be made. That said, Diary sounds interesting though.

Dead

Undisclosed
    No, Captain, this ain't no joke! They got 65 year old Ving playing Captain Rhodes in yet another dead remake and a bunch of generation Z' cell phone addicts playing the soldiers. (Like, Paris Hilton style!). One hell of a mess. Seeing the pictures, I'm not real impressed. Perhaps a future trailer will improve my perception and the negitive opinions of others. But, the awful casting, talk of a vegetarian zombie, and the still photos & press reports have left me with the outlook of man driving a bread truck in the middle of Ethiopia.

Dying

Undisclosed

Jumpin' Jeez Loueez!

Everyone calm the hell down!

You don't seem to remember all those years when NO ONE was making zombie movies including George and that he couldn't get himself shot as a director. Don't get me wrong...I mostly like George's movies but Bruiser was nearly unwatchable and the last really good GAR (IMGHO) was Creepshow in mid 80s, maybe Tales from the Darkside. That people are making and remaking these movies isn't a bad thing. Its a good thing and I'm enjoying horror movies more now than I have since I was a kid.

I liked Land of the Dead. I also liked the new Dawn and I will probably mostly like Day of the Dead, Diary of the Dead and (should they choose to make it) Hemmorhoids of the Dead. I'm also looking forward to World War Z. The only reason anyone's getting to make these films is that people are digging what we're digging. As far as Ving playing Rhodes...so what? You want them to disinter Joe Pilato to play the role again? I'm pretty sure that however Rhames plays Rhodes, it will be good. Ving's a good actor and almost compulsively watchable. The script will likely be fine...better than all those Bava/Fulci movies resurrected on DVD from the 70s that were all we had to watch for years and years.

But there was a long time when no one was making zombie movies. We had to settle for ridiculous horrible retreads ("Is Freddie a Zombie? Is Michael Myers?") that kind of felt like the GAR classics. Now people are making them, they're pretty good and I'm digging it. Don't be hatin', enjoy em!

Dead

Undisclosed
    Good point, we have to have something to rant and rave about.

But, if I had a time machine, I'd go back and get Joe Pilato from say 1987 or so just for this remake and then return him. Screw Ving!

Second thought, never mind, I'd rather keep him safe and sound in the original.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Geophyrd View Post
    Everyone calm the hell down!

You don't seem to remember all those years when NO ONE was making zombie movies including George and that he couldn't get himself shot as a director. Don't get me wrong...I mostly like George's movies but Bruiser was nearly unwatchable and the last really good GAR (IMGHO) was Creepshow in mid 80s, maybe Tales from the Darkside. That people are making and remaking these movies isn't a bad thing. Its a good thing and I'm enjoying horror movies more now than I have since I was a kid.

I liked Land of the Dead. I also liked the new Dawn and I will probably mostly like Day of the Dead, Diary of the Dead and (should they choose to make it) Hemmorhoids of the Dead. I'm also looking forward to World War Z. The only reason anyone's getting to make these films is that people are digging what we're digging. As far as Ving playing Rhodes...so what? You want them to disinter Joe Pilato to play the role again? I'm pretty sure that however Rhames plays Rhodes, it will be good. Ving's a good actor and almost compulsively watchable. The script will likely be fine...better than all those Bava/Fulci movies resurrected on DVD from the 70s that were all we had to watch for years and years.

But there was a long time when no one was making zombie movies. We had to settle for ridiculous horrible retreads ("Is Freddie a Zombie? Is Michael Myers?") that kind of felt like the GAR classics. Now people are making them, they're pretty good and I'm digging it. Don't be hatin', enjoy em!
    -- ------------The script will likely be fine...better than all those Bava/Fulci movies resurrected on DVD from the 70s that were all we had to watch for years and years.--------------

bava /fulci movies are great!! i donīt "had to watch it" i watch it because i think that movies are better than the whole american **** movies from the 90īs.even with bleak scripts fulci movies had an visual imaginery that any horror movie today.

United States

Day...?

I'm a bit skeptical really. Dawn was a movie I couldn't wait to see when it came out, but it has a great gimmick. The whole thing takes place in a mall. Even if it sucked I could personally see it being worth watching. But Day doesnt really have a catchy gimmick to me. There's not really anything that fun about being left alone in an underground mine or whatever, but a mall, Hell Yeah! What made the original Day cool was George's style. I like the characters and the dark atmosphere. I hope the new Day doesn't have that new "dark" style that alot of these new horror movies have, especially those Japanese ones like The Ring and the Grudge and all that crap. Alot of wierd film speed effects and loud noises and stuff.
    xxxopher
    -There's Always Another Level-
    www.xxxopher.com

United Kingdom
    I personally would love to see a take from the japan, thailand of zombies, I love the recent releases, the grudge had me jumping at every cat sound for a few days, The Eye was simply beautiful the way it was sequenced, Dark Water was very creepy etc... But I hate the american remakes of thesethey just dont seem to have the same edge.

As far as the remakes concerned I am gonna hold my horses till it comes out, I liked the new take on on Dawn and cant wait to see the re-make of Day. I know allot of fans of the GAR orignals dont like this but I have to say though GARs release had allot more to say Dawn '04 was allot of fun.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dommm View Post
    I personally would love to see a take from the japan, thailand of zombies, I love the recent releases, the grudge had me jumping at every cat sound for a few days, The Eye was simply beautiful the way it was sequenced, Dark Water was very creepy etc... But I hate the american remakes of thesethey just dont seem to have the same edge.

call me cynical but ive never, NEVER heard a brit say they prefered the amircan remakes, case in point ringu.

SHE'S CALLED SADAKO YOU DAMN ****S!

*vent* ...ahhh....

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    call me cynical but ive never, NEVER heard a brit say they prefered the amircan remakes, case in point ringu.

SHE'S CALLED SADAKO YOU DAMN ****S!

*vent* ...ahhh....
    They're lazy films for lazy people who can't cope with subtitles, that's the bottom line. The producers of those stupid remakes of non English language films saw something fresh, innovative and and a liitle bit alien to western sensibilities and made their films without stopping to think that what was exiting and interesting about the original film whould turn to **** once they and their accountants were finished with them.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    damn ****ing straight.