Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Ahhh...Battlefield Vietnam...

England
    Im not sure how you change the size actually,i dont think you can on the single player one,just the online one if your the server admin
    You lads need to get online & we'll form a squad
    Heres my online stats BTW,ive got a shedload of medals,but as i play for the game rather than racking up the points,my ranks still fairly low!
    http://bf2s.com/player/68177457/

United States
    Tricky - I'm game, but we gotta work on that MinionZombie guy - he's got this thing about hookinig up his gaming rig to the net.. we'll eventually jack him up on so much HPotD he won't care.. I know, I know MZ, when you guys get a new 'puter.. I know.

I'm all for it though..

Something you mentioned made me laugh - when you said medals, I laughed 'cause I was playing with my Quake friend Steve one day online when we first got the game.. I had just got killed and suddenly a purple heart medal came up and I was like "wow, I got a medal? cool!" until my friend told me "uhhh, that's one of the medals you DON'T want" - then I realized what the purple heart medal was for.. d'oh!!

I've since become quite a bit better at the game - thank goodness.

LC

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, tell me about it ... but my parents are traditional Scots - get the most use out of anything - now, I'm Scottish (deep down at least), but I'm a bit more modern and dispose-happy, ha! If I had my way ... and money ... I'd get a new one swiftly and get busy stomping balls...

Funny you should mention not connecting to the internet with my gaming/editing/viewing/writing rig - not long after you said that I did actually put it online ... no, not for gaming ... spent 8 freakin' hours updating it all. Got some anti-spyware stuff put on there as well as doing all the various Windows updates (of which there was many ... many), also updated Steam for HL2 (and downloaded "Lost Coast" for it - very cool). But damn, it just took FOREVER to update. So now I feel safer about transferring downloaded content over to it (despite taking many precautions on my laptop when I download, hehe).

Was playing some more BF2 today - been heavily into the Bocage 2005 map, lovin' it - also been playing as the enemy to try out some new weapons (the AK-47 is rather nice as it's powerful and more accurate than the allied equivalent - especially in automatic mode).

Been stomping some AI balls ... starting to feel itchy, must go do some more methinks...

But mark my words, one of these days I'll get online and when I get online I'll stomp some balls ... well, until I start dying over and over and over again before cryin' like a li'l bitch and storming offline in a huff.

United States

Well, in case you don't know, lemme tell ya - online play changes the game drastically! It's a whoooole different world playing against real players than it is against the AI. Believe me, I found this out playing Unreal Tournament 2004 & Quake4 with my friend - just us and some bots so I could get used to the MP function. Once we got online, I got my ass handed to me for weeks until I got my skills up to match those other players. I'm not saying BF2 will be this way all the time, but expect the first few game to leave you saying "WTF?! I STOMPED THE AI'S BALLS LAST WEEK!!"

Y'know MZ, the only issue I see with you playing with some of us over here across the pond is the time differental. How many hours are you off from Eastern Standard Time? In other words, say I live in Washington, DC and it's 12pm (noon) here - what time is it where you're at? That could pose a issue, but could be workable, depending on the time difference.....

LC
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 16-Oct-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well right now the time is just about 9pm , so there's probably quite a time difference - that was something I'd forgotten. Cross that bridge, and the ass-handing one, when my folks untie those purse strings and get a new pootah...I feel kinda wrong for saying that whilst typing on the one it'd be replacing ... it's like saying you're getting a new puppy in front of your old faithful labrador or something (not that we ever had a dog of course)...

United States

Do you feel like you'll be cheating on your old computer when you get the new one?

Man, that's kinda creepy...

Super Moderator

UK
    I always feel guilty about replacing bits of equipment, I felt the same way when I got the snazzy new DVX100B and felt sorry for my Canon MV700i, hehe, I'm just weird that way. I seem to attach a smidge of humanism to my inanimate objects - I guess it's because I take very good care of my things and really appreciate having them as I'm not exactly flush with cash ... heck, I'm not exactly with cash fullstop.

How crazy am I now?

United States
    Let's just say you're a few sandwiches short of a picnic!

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, perhaps ... perhaps...

Damn, the AK-47 rocks balls in BF2, so much more accurate, was able to kill several people in two shots from a decent length without going prone - now that's more like the aim system of BF:V.

Tried to install a BF2 weapon mod, but didn't work at all...

United States
    A weapon mod, eh? If you ever get it to work, let me know.. that could get interesting.

Yeah, the AK is pretty kickass - and being able to down someone in 2 shots without going prone is pretty impressive! I do kinda miss the old days of BF1942 and the one-shot-to-the-head kills. I rarely ever get them on BF2.

England
    Once you progress through the ranks online you get weapon unlocks,the upgrade from the AK/M16 is the British SA80,thats a decent weapon,makes playing as a medic a bit easier i wouldnt use weapon mods if playing online,punkbuster will ban yo ass from all servers,its quite picky but it does stop a lot of cheaters!

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah totally, when I play online I don't cheat in any way.

Also, aye, I got a weapons unlock when I first was playing BF2 - initially I didn't even notice the second class of weapons for everyone, then unlocked them with a simple change of the code in unlocks.py (or however it's written) and got them all. The alternate medic gun is much better than the M16-ish thing you get normally. The scope makes for much more accurate shooting - also, gotta love going on a defibrilator rampage.

Gave up on the weapon mod, the retard who made it gave the word instructions in the world, he kept replacing the words "directory" and "folder" with "map" so it made no sense at all. Even when I changed it, it still made fudge all sense ... so sticking true to my generation's cause, I gave up to go and procrastinate over something else.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    also, gotta love going on a defibrilator rampage.
    OMFG, you're as bad as my friend playing Q4 and killing everyone with the flashlight! You should rename yourself in BF2 to "DefribKiller"

Y'know, I've noticed the AI doing that exact same thing when you get into close-quarters battles with them - they'll pull out those defrib paddles and chase you around everywhere! Bastards! Although i've been lucky and never taken down with the defrib paddles.......yet!

Super Moderator

UK
    Dang, I've been electrocuted a few times. Shame you can't get your own paddles and shock yourself back to life.

The ddzzziiiitttt!!! noise when you blast someone is great, it's also cool to go saving your own men's lives in the nick of time "thanks buddy" "roger that", hehe.

I wonder which level I'll play today...? Hmmm...

United States
    y'know what I do to avoid the defrib bastards? Ever hear of "circle-strafing"?

Well, you use your "A" or "D" key, and hold it down - but at the same time, you move your mouse in the opposite direction so you "circle" around your opponent instead of heading right for 'em or running straight away. In other words - if you're holding down "D", move your mouse to the left at a constant speed keeping your target in the middle of your screen while 'circling' them. Does that make sense?

Circle-strafing is one of the many skillz () that you need when playing those high-action-no-time-to-think-'cause-sh*t's-moving-too-fast-to-comprehend games like Quake4. It really is a life-saving technique that can be applied to any FPS game, and in this case, it's the perfect "confusion" weapon to use against the AI and their death-by-defrib attempts.

have I mentioned today that UAV strikes kick ass?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 18-Oct-2006 at 02:27 PM.