Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell (film) - Stephen King zombi'esque flick

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Yeh More of the same - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/05/cell-review

Cell does a wonderful job with its opening – it instills more than just a sense of unease and questioning, rather offering one of utter confusion and terror. As Clay and Tom struggle to work out what is happening, we in the audience do as well. The answers that do come though are not satisfying. In short, the movie that follows the beginning moments never returns to those heights making it that much more disappointing.
    Guess I'll catch it at some point for that "opening"
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Yeh, "oh dear" indeed. It's pretty bland and that's me being nice about it.

There's really nothing in 'Cell' to recommend it. Not even the opening which is rather beige.

It's the kind of film that just trundles along. Very by-the-numbers like far, far too many films these days. There was a time when low budget shockers made up for their lack of shillings by being gory, odd, outrageous or just genuinely creepy in some way. But today, there is simply just too much content out there and a huge percentage of it follows a mapped out set of sequences that merely constitute a beginning, middle and an end.

But like so many films produced in modern times, 'Cell' is a film you watch, patiently waiting for that end to happen.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    ^^ You've seen it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Yes.

shfksjhfkshf <- I have to make to post longer.

United States
    Cell was a pretty lousy book overall. It had a great start, admittedly. But it had a ridiculous nonsense ending.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Cell was a pretty lousy book overall. It had a great start, admittedly. But it had a ridiculous nonsense ending.
    That's my King!

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    'Cell' was the first King book I've read in decades. Probably the first fiction I've read in an age too. I enjoyed the book well enough and it had some great passages, but yeh, it's like he didn't know how to finish the thing.

Norway
    Finishing his books have always been Kings greatest weakness.
    Thats (one of the reasons) why Kubrik's Shining is supieriour to the book and Kings miniseries. He gave it an ending.
    I read Cell too. It was allright but again the ending sucked.