Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    no they were cops on the run

in the film it is not clear

i sugest that people buy the dawn of the dead novel

it answers a lot of questions that people post here

they were cops on the run
    no doubt about it according to the novel
    Two thoughts.....

1) If there were 100% authoritative sources on all things Romero, then there would be a lot less discussion around here
    2) Most novels that are made after a movie, as opposed to a movie being made from an existing novel, have to fill in a lot of blanks that were not fleshed out in the movie, and are largely the authors best guess/opinion about the details that were not in the film. The Sparrow novel is such a case. Our opinion's are just as valid as hers.

United States
    i am not saying your opinions
    dont matter

however Romero wrote the book
    not Sparrow

she helped him with it

it was completely taken from the screen play
    almost word for word

i am saying if you
    want something that is not clear
    to you

the novel is a good resource

United States
    however Romero wrote the book
    not Sparrow

she helped him with it

it was completely taken from the screen play
    almost word for word
    Where are you getting your information? His name may be first of the book, but like many books of this type, the majority (if not all of it) is written by the "guest author", and the well-known name is just used to add legitiamacy and name recogntion to increase sales.

Here are the first two paragraphs from the book:

Sleep did not come easy for Francine Parker. It was a struggle every night to block out the events of the day and the memories of the past that kept up their pounding conflict within her head. Now, as she slept, the expression of anguish of her face belied any sweet dreams.

At twenty-three, she was slender, and very attractive. After her divorce, she had traded in her glasses for contacts, her brown hair for silver blond, and her extra twenty-five pounds of pasta, chocolate cake and domesticity for a knockout figure.

There is nothing special about the first two paragraphs, the whole book is basically the same. This was not taken "word for word" from the screenplay, and no where near Romero's writing style. Susana Sparrow used the script as the guide to create a novel based on it. She used direct quotes as dialogue between the characters, but most of the writing was basically her just creating her own interpretation to flesh out the book. Just using the screenplay would make for a very short book, hardly 210 pages of single-spaced story telling.

United States
    from romero himself

video watchdog issue #52 1995

article 'dawns of the dead"

pages 47-52

if you read the book like it seems you have you
    realise that he does specifically say they are renegade
    cops

like i said it isnt a matter of peoples opinion
    the book is merely a good place to get more info from

i dont know why you are not understanding that is what i am saying
    Last edited by kortick; 03-Oct-2006 at 01:32 AM.

United States
    I never disputed your assertion that they are renegate cops. I am disputing your assertion that the book was written by Romero with a little help from Sparrow, and that it is "word for word" from the screenplay. I understand completely what you are saying, I am saying that it is inaccurate. And to make sure that you are understanding me, I am saying that you are inaccurate as far as saying the book is "word for word" from the screenplay, not that you are inaccurate as far as Pilato and crew being renegade cops.

Also, in the book it may say that they are renegade cops, but again, the book was written by Susana Sparrow, not Romero. In the book, it also says that Fran had a pet dog out of the pet shop in the mall. Do you think that was taken from the screenplay? No, that was not in the screenplay, and not in the movie at all. It was Sparrow making up some extra stuff, cuz like I said, a book that was only word for word from the screenplay would be very short indeed.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 03-Oct-2006 at 02:35 AM.

United States
    i got your PM

its all good

if you read the original script
    that is here on this web site you will see that george did have the dog in the original version

and of course he had to add more to the book to fill it in

there is no question about that

but the book is romeros story
    not sparrows

but enough of this

i understand what you are saying
    and you are right that there is more to the book
    than just what is in the screen play

United States
    but the book is romeros story
    not sparrows
    Yes, the book is Romero's story. Sparrow did not come up with the idea on her own. But she wrote the book, not Romero.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    i think whoever wrote the book is a moot point. Let's for argument sake say that Romero did write the book and that it was his vision for the film. It still doesn't mean that everything from the book made it into the movie. There have been countless film adaptations of novels that change everything fom characters names and hair color to major events. There is no proof that what was in the book actually pertains to the film even if gar did write it. The book is not a transcript of the film. Just like there is no proof that day comes before land, Right Philly?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Well, the book was written after the movie, as is the case with many original movies. Nothing at all from the book "made it into the movie", the movie already existed at the time the book was written. This was not an adaptation of a book into a movie, it was a book written based on the movie. As for the Land/Day discussion, that would be better addresses in a different thread.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    A slight flaw in the guys at the dock were just crooks wearing police uniforms is why didn't they just shoot flyboy & kidnap Fran for sexual diversion later on?

I mean its not like they could've know they would find women were they head to.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Watching the scene one could draw the conclusion that something like that could have happened if peter and Roger had not shown up when they did. however, I don't think that was very likely. The Plauge had only been going on for three weeks and i doubt they were that thirsty for a woman at that point. I think their minds were more on running. i believe that to be a much more likely event if they bikers had come across fran.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Watching the scene one could draw the conclusion that something like that could have happened if peter and Roger had not shown up when they did. however, I don't think that was very likely. The Plauge had only been going on for three weeks and i doubt they were that thirsty for a woman at that point. I think their minds were more on running. i believe that to be a much more likely event if they bikers had come across fran.
    Good point.

ViP

United States
    Peter and Roger are "good cops" correct? Good in the sence that they are acting justly and wisely considering their hopeless situation? If 100 angry gangsters are chasing you and you steal a car to get away, are you guilty of theft? Peter and Roger are good men, and even they decided to bail on their duties, so we cannot assume that Pilato and company are bad guys since they appear to be merely attempting to survive.

If you remember, they were in the process of loading up the boat down at the dock which was down a pretty big flight of stairs and completely out of view from where the chopper landed. They were in the process of unloading a truck of supplies and carrying down to the dock/boat. Their sudden appearance probably has more to do with that. Pilato seemed a little interested in the helicopter as a potential means of transportation saying "How many can that thing hold". Obviously, they were up to no good and no matter who was landing, good or bad, they had to be cautious. They were prepared to defend their goods, much like Stephen and Peter were prepared to defend their mall.

About the guy shot in the head, that is a toughy. This is just a gut feeling, I have no evidence to support this, but I am guessing that there was a zombie invasion on the police dock, and it was overran. I have a feeling that the guy shot in the head was a zombie. One reason is that it was a head shot. Another reason is the extensive make up. Again, just a gut feeling. I always felt like the dead guy by the chopper was there for the purpose of letting the viewer know that they were in an unsafe zone, no longer occupied by humans.

Another thought that I had a while back that I haven't mentioned since the old forums is, when Stephen CB'ed in that the station was abandoned, that was the source of the report that Roger and Peter got when they announced to the "bad" cops that there was a report that the docks had been knocked out.

I will also note that during that scene, there was a definite sence of pseudo-comradery, once both parties realised that they were up to the same thing.

Badass topic by the way.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Peter and Roger are "good cops" correct? Good in the sence that they are acting justly and wisely considering their hopeless situation? If 100 angry gangsters are chasing you and you steal a car to get away, are you guilty of theft? Peter and Roger are good men, and even they decided to bail on their duties, so we cannot assume that Pilato and company are bad guys since they appear to be merely attempting to survive.

If you remember, they were in the process of loading up the boat down at the dock which was down a pretty big flight of stairs and completely out of view from where the chopper landed. They were in the process of unloading a truck of supplies and carrying down to the dock/boat. Their sudden appearance probably has more to do with that. Pilato seemed a little interested in the helicopter as a potential means of transportation saying "How many can that thing hold". Obviously, they were up to no good and no matter who was landing, good or bad, they had to be cautious. They were prepared to defend their goods, much like Stephen and Peter were prepared to defend their mall.

About the guy shot in the head, that is a toughy. This is just a gut feeling, I have no evidence to support this, but I am guessing that there was a zombie invasion on the police dock, and it was overran. I have a feeling that the guy shot in the head was a zombie. One reason is that it was a head shot. Another reason is the extensive make up. Again, just a gut feeling. I always felt like the dead guy by the chopper was there for the purpose of letting the viewer know that they were in an unsafe zone, no longer occupied by humans.

Another thought that I had a while back that I haven't mentioned since the old forums is, when Stephen CB'ed in that the station was abandoned, that was the source of the report that Roger and Peter got when they announced to the "bad" cops that there was a report that the docks had been knocked out.

I will also note that during that scene, there was a definite sence of pseudo-comradery, once both parties realised that they were up to the same thing.

Badass topic by the way.
    Excellent post dude! Have some rep! Errr.......well, have some props anyway!