View Poll Results: What would you improve in DEADLANDS: The Rising (multiple Choice)

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acting

10 62.50%
  • Make-Up

1 6.25%
  • Editing

2 12.50%
  • Story

6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll - for those that have seen the film

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Poll - for those that have seen the film

Some of you now have the DVD in your hands and others are still waiting, but for those of you whom have seen it what are your thoughts on what could have been better.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    My vote was acting, but i already know your in talks with some really good local actors. Not saying that it was bad, i mean it was damn good for people doing it their first time (as you and brian have said before).

Super Moderator

UK
    I voted editing, but of course you had never edited before, so to actually make Deadlands is damned impressive. So, obviously, with Deadlands 2 there will be even better editing - it was just a couple of black frames (I think where it would be a case of two video clips appearing to be connected, but if zoomed in on the timeline there'd be a tiny gap of 1 or 2 frames - near the beginning at Brian's house), and I think I caught a frame from another piece of video that had somehow gotten in between two shots, then just the odd bit of sound mix where the music took over from the dialogue a little (but again, this was rare). Otherwise your understanding of the editing process is solid.

So it was really minor things, but like I said - for a first time editor (and filmmaker even) on such a big project - two thumbs very much fresh.

As for acting, I thought for the most part it was good (obviously some weren't meant, in life, to be actors - but hat doesn't detract), the guy who locks himself in that small room (with the tiny lock , loved that part) was the stand out best though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, that would be Dave Cooperman. Although everyone gave it their best, and did a good job. Dave (Guy in Bathroom) and Melisa (women whom splits apart fighting men) were the two best Human actors in the film.

Best Zombie Actor would have to go to Lonnie Martin, the drooling, throat ripping zombie.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    I think if anything is needed for improvement from DL1 to DL2, would be the acting. I take zero pride in my ability to act - 'cause.. well.. I can't act for sh*t. I tried my best, but at times it comes off a bit hokey - y'know what though? I am kinda proud that I didn't come off like a complete idiot on my first go-around. Or did I....?

I think what helped dramatically was the fact that Dj and I play "friends" in the movie and we're friends in real life - all I tried to do was act as I would had it been a real-life situation. When we would have dialouge with eachother, I just injected my 'normal' personality (bland, isn't it?) into the character since the character was supposed to be.. well.. me.

I still think Lonnie (as our 'drooling' zombe in the traffic jam) really embraced the 'zombie' character. He was the epitome of what we wanted our zombies to be.

Dave Cooperman came off the best as far as normal-person acting is concerned in the movie. Melissa is a great actor too, but unfortunately she's only in the movie for a minute or two arguing with Josh about his car keys. Wish we could've grabbed her for a bigger role in part 1.. there's always DL 2 though..

LC

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Funny you mention Melisa (pronounced May-Lisa) for Part 2. I have been thinking about this for the last few weeks and I would love to bring her into DEADLANDS 2, if she would do it. I think Thomas and I discussed this as well trying to figure it out, but we never really finished the thought process.

If I can figure out a way to get Melisa from Part 1 to Part 2 and she is willing to do it... I will use her. Melisa is a fantastic actress.

I want to hold auditions for DEADLANDS 2 so I can see other professional actors in the area. I would really like to limit using non professionals in DEADLANDS 2 to a total of 2-3 people at most.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Khardis - I noticed that you voted in the poll, and voted for every single option (this is a public poll, so all votes are viewable). Care to explain why you voted on every selection for a movie you haven't seen yet? All of us involved in the project know you haven't rc'vd a screener of the movie.

I'm not trying to be a d*ck here, but it would be nice to get a realistic picture of what people want to see in part 2 without someone voting with no merit, which is exactly what you just did.

I have my suspicions as to why this is the case too, but I'll leave it alone. This is not the reputation system, this is a vote for people who have viewed our movie.

Super Moderator

UK
    Reset the poll results to reflect what they were prior, to give you guys the accurate picture you're after.

United States
    Thank you, MZ. I appreciate that. I know what this stemmed from, but I'm keeping my big mouth shut (which ain't easy).

LC

Undisclosed
    As you well know, I enjoyed the film tremendously. Obviously, the goal is an even better film for #2 so here are my suggestions (for what they're worth). #1 would be acting, but this has been touched upon and no further discussion is needed. Nice work for self-professed non-actors. I think that the dialogue can be improved upon for the second film also. I know, however that DJ had to basically rewrite scenes on the fly, so this can be forgiven too. The only other issue I had (as DJ and I discussed) was that the first act was moving a bit slow. Again, I understand his motives and all is well. D2 looks to be a winner to me, if these are the worst things anyone can say about the first effort.
    Last edited by chukrok; 02-Oct-2006 at 07:55 PM. Reason: grammar

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I voted editing, but of course you had never edited before, so to actually make Deadlands is damned impressive. So, obviously, with Deadlands 2 there will be even better editing - it was just a couple of black frames (I think where it would be a case of two video clips appearing to be connected, but if zoomed in on the timeline there'd be a tiny gap of 1 or 2 frames - near the beginning at Brian's house), and I think I caught a frame from another piece of video that had somehow gotten in between two shots, then just the odd bit of sound mix where the music took over from the dialogue a little (but again, this was rare). Otherwise your understanding of the editing process is solid.

So it was really minor things, but like I said - for a first time editor (and filmmaker even) on such a big project - two thumbs very much fresh.

As for acting, I thought for the most part it was good (obviously some weren't meant, in life, to be actors - but hat doesn't detract), the guy who locks himself in that small room (with the tiny lock , loved that part) was the stand out best though.

Hello there MinionZombie!

I'm "the guy who locks himself in that small room" from "Deadlands." Thank you very much for the compliment! I had a blast working on the film, and the Gary-Brian combo couldn't be topped by anyone. It was all "fun" work for us despite the long hours through the night and into the wee hours of the morning. I'm glad you enjoyed the film and took the time to share your thoughts with the rest of the forum. I don't know how the American accent comes across with those in the UK, but any international exposure is gladly welcomed. The only regret (other than a higher budget, etc.) was not having the chance for Melisa to get more screen time, but she joined the cast at a later stage. She's really a wonderful actress, so keep her name in mind should more of her work be available in your neck of the woods. I must, of course compliment Gary Ugarek for being so professional and appreciative of the entire cast. All to often, directors for independent projects will eagerly recruit cast and crew, treat them well, but quickly drop off the face of the earth once filming is complete. Gary is a man of his word and never forgets those who stood by him and donated their time for the sake of the production. I can't say enough about his dedication, enthusiasm and remarkable promotional acumen. "Deadlands" not only became a reality, but a smashing success due to his efforts and commitment to the project. I cannot complete this posting without mentioning the same level of contribution to Gary's now famous producer Brian Wright. Brian brings so much humor and fun to the set; he always cracks me up! You should do some stand up comedy my friend- the audience will love your style! And thanks to you too MinionZombie, for keeping this forum alive and bloody!!

DC

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah i vote acting too, some like the guy in the trucker hat and the two elads were great but some ,like one of the soldiers and the kids didnt do so well, i dont think anyones gonna vote for better make up cus the zombies were cool.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah cool man, how you doing? *internet style virtual hand shakey thing*

I'm not just saying this, but your character was one of my favourite in the film - it's great when you stand up at the front of the rabble and tell them to "STFU" ... and that dinky little latch on the door, love that bit.

Indeed, the dedication is one of the main things that makes Deadlands so damn enjoyable, the true spirit of independent film has never been so alive and it just makes me smile as it's just so pure and you can tell everyone was having a great time making it.

Aye, that Melisa girl was really good, hopefully Dj (Gary) can get her to re-appear in #2.

Cool that you dropped by, and *shucks*, thanks to the other mods too ... while I sometimes like to think I'm the supreme overlord , I'm joined by a team of guys keeping HPOTD up and running and true to it's roots.

ViP

United States
    I say acting but that mainly has to do with the look of the actors.

None of the acting was particularly strong, so the addition of more attractive people would have really helped. Don't get me wrong though, none of the acting was weak, there just wasn't any DeNiro's either. The lack of a couple of babes and studs is about the only thing that makes Deadlands look low budget. I'm not talking about infusing the cast of Dawsons Creek into Deadlands, just replacing perhaps the female lead with someone with more sex appeal would have been enough. The female lead did a servicable job though, and was believable as a mom, but imagine someone looking like Kate Hudson was playing the role. Minor gripe, but it would have made a difference to the viewer.

Super Moderator

UK
    ... you were being satirical, right? ...