Thread: Review: The Departed

Dying

Undisclosed

Review: The Departed

Whoa...I read the reviews on Aint It Cool News and I have to say, despite their hyper-active vocabularies, they nail it.

More appropriately, Scorcese nails it, as does Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Leo DiCaprio, Anthony Anderson, Alec Baldwin and pretty much everyone else in the movie.

This movie rocks and rolls and it kicks ass so completely I was shocked. I mean, I went to see a Scorses gangster flick. I didn't expect a gangster flick the sits up there with The Godfather.

In a lot of way, Boston is getting a lot of attention from gangster cinema. I mean, I just got done watching Brotherhood (really good tv) and this is like that but a much bigger picture. Departed is the ultimate cop/rat movie and I hope Scorcese has a dozen more in him just like it.

I won't go into details but Baldwin, Sheen and Wahlberg are amazing. Nicholson gives an unbelievably believable performance and scared heck out of me. And for once, I'd actually like to be friends with Leo DiCaprio. That last is a minor miracle...I never saw what anyone else ever saw in the guy. Not till last night.

Enjoy it...I know I did and I'll watch it a dozen times in the future, enjoying every moment.

Undisclosed
    Yeah... it was awsome....
    I saw it opening night....
    Only thing Im a little disapointed about is apparently the movie is a remake...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Agreed.

I knew it would be enjoyable because it was Scorsese, but it exceeded my expectations. Thrilling, funny, frightening, good time. Scorsese is still king. Anyone notice that DiCaprio has become his new Deniro? It's all good.

I also just saw that it got number one at the box office this weekend over the teen-friendly "TCM: The Beginning" and "Employee of the Month". Yes!.....maybe this will help usher in the return of good films to the spotlight.

United States
    Easily the best work by Scorsese since "Goodfellas". The movie was engrossing the second it started and I didn't want it to end, it was that good.

United States
    I am looking forward to seeing this, it just might be one of my 2 movie a year scheduel ive been doing.

Was it better than Goodfellas? That is one of my favorite all time movies.
    I know youd rather see me gone,Than to see me the way that I am. But I am in the life anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tied2thetracks View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing this, it just might be one of my 2 movie a year scheduel ive been doing.

Was it better than Goodfellas? That is one of my favorite all time movies.
    You can't really compare the two. To me, you can't compare any of Scorsese's films. They're all unique, yet similar in their own, wierd way.

I would say that it's equally up to par with Goodfellas in it's own way. It's up to par with all of his flicks, actually. Taxi Driver is one of my all-time favorites and I can say that this one will most likely be giving it a run for it's money once I get it on DVD.

Dead

Undisclosed
    After Gangs of New York I was disappointed with Scorsese thinking his ego got the better of him and he was taking the path of Spielberg, and with the Departed he just completely redeemed himself. I'd say it was easily his best movie since Goodfellas and no actor failed to live up to their potential. Plus there were a few twists in the movie which just added to its greatness. I will say no more, go see it!

Banned User

United States
    I am a huge fan of mark W

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    I am a huge fan of mark W

"Cranberry juice??......what, are ya gettin ya period?"