Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for pandemic: know how to bury your dead

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England

Preparing for pandemic: know how to bury your dead

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jh...rss/healthNews

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - When burying a body in the backyard, don't put it too close to the septic system. That was one piece of advice offered on Wednesday to a business conference on preparing for a potentially lethal bird flu andemic.

Preparations for a global flu pandemic, which many experts believe is overdue, have begun but the grisly details are horrific and the number of sick could quickly overwhelm the health care system.

Needed supplies of even common medical supplies such as surgical masks and gloves are in doubt, not to mention the syringes needed for an as-yet undeveloped vaccine and costly mechanical ventilators.

The H5N1 avian flu virus that has infected flocks on at least three continents and killed 91 people could be the virus that experts fear will mutate into a highly pathogenic form that kills hundreds of millions of people in a matter of weeks or months.

In Seattle, public health officials are weighing the ramifications of hospitals overwhelmed by hundreds of thousands of sick people and the need for thousands of body bags.

"We talk about how people should bury their dead in their backyards, how far from the septic systems," said Dorothy Teeter, director of the King County public health department in Seattle. "In case you're wondering, it's $20 apiece for high-quality body bags. In New Orleans (after Hurricane Katrina) they had to double-bag bodies."

Refrigerated trucks will be needed to ship and store food and medicines and will not be available for corpses, a mistake made by federal authorities who commandeered trucks after Katrina, said James Caverly of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Communicating the truth will be important to deter civil unrest, several experts told the conference. Up until six months ago, the Department of Health and Human Services was planning privately for a pandemic but saying little publicly, said communications consultant Peter Sandman.

The shift may be due to President George W. Bush reading John Barry's "The Great Influenza," an account of the 1918 influenza pandemic during which government assured the public that it was just another seasonal flu outbreak, Sandman said. At the time, Barry said many communities were brought to a near standstill, with people afraid to talk to each other or care for the sick.

"When you mislead people, when you over-reassure people ... they feel less trusting, and they behave much worse," Sandman said.

Conference participants from corporations, interest groups, and government met to discuss revising just-in-time supply concepts in order to stockpile, shutting down and restarting facilities in pandemic-hit countries, and cross-training employees and bringing back retirees to replace a significant portion of their employees that might become sick, decide not to come to work, or die.

If companies stockpile masks and antiviral drugs such as Tamiflu, conference participants wondered if tax breaks would be enacted to defray the cost of preparing.

The dilemma for producers of syringes and the like is that increasing factory capacity for a one-time sale for a pandemic is bad business practice.

Meanwhile, government will have to address public skepticism about its ability to prepare for a pandemic, the official in charge of emergency preparedness at the Department of Health and Human Services said.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

ummm... sounds familiar!

Where have I heard this before!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

"Bring out your dead"

Sorry...couldn't help it.

United States
    boy I can't wait, and I got a big backyard too, lots of space!

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Do you really believe that the gov't is actually thinking "Hmm I have a feeling there's going to be an epidemic coming up pretty soon!"? No, they're not! They're planning one!

Fiji
    nah if it goes this bad they'll have the NG doing body collections. but that'll take a week or so to set up. in the interum, you can improvise body bags on the fly with either lawn and garden or "contractor" bags and a roll of duct tape.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff
    Do you really believe that the gov't is actually thinking "Hmm I have a feeling there's going to be an epidemic coming up pretty soon!"? No, they're not! They're planning one!
    Please... tell me why "The Government" here in the United States would be planning an epidemic?

It would eliminate taxpayers, the lifeblood of the country. It would eliminate the workers, the means of production. Unless they already had a cure it would in fact kill the very people that supposedly planned it.

Exactly what is gained by the "Evil" Government planning an epidemic?

M_

Isle of Man
    If companies stockpile masks and antiviral drugs such as Tamiflu, conference participants wondered if tax breaks would be enacted to defray the cost of preparing.

Ah, the human race...always asking the questions that matter most...

United States
    That's some scary ****.

I hope it doesn't come down to burying your own dead.

Super Moderator

UK
    Sounds an awful lot like scare-mongering to me, so far bird flu hasn't become a 'pandemic' and it's been around for a while - for birds it's bad news, for people it's much tougher to catch and by now most of the world should be on alert...but from another topic about the government whipping up frenzies about terrorism (or whatever), this has a ring of scaremongering to it.

We shouldn't be complacent and stupid...but we shouldn't fly off the handle about the apocalypse either...remember Y2K? It was going to be disaster - instead it was just a pain in the ass for programmers and those sorting it out...should be the same thing here, a pain in the ass for the folk tracking sick birds and disinfecting vehicles etc - for the average Joe it's going to be like most days.

Remember the mad cow CJD thing? Again, the country whipped up into a massive panic over bad meat - some countries are only just letting British beef back in...which is strange as their meat is probably in worse condition than ours! The mad cow thing didn't claim a heap of lives, it just cost a lot of money and ruined many farmers and made a big hit on livestock industry - but us humans are still here to tell the tale...the bird flu thing will probably be something similar, but it should be 'better' as we should know how to deal with this sort of thing...

...I'll shut up now.

United States
    For those that think this isn't a big deal

http://www.hhs.gov/pandemicflu/plan/

United States Department of Health and Human Services
    Pandemic Influenza Plan

Take a look at supplement 8: Community Disease Control and Prevention
    http://www.hhs.gov/pandemicflu/plan/pdf/S08.pdf

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    Exactly what is gained by the "Evil" Government planning an epidemic?
    Educate yourself on the New World Order, the Illuminati, the Free Masons, and the Skull And Bones. There's evidence of the worlds biggest leaders wanting to start population control... they're just trying to figure out how to do it without the masses catching on to the plan. Get informed; don't just sit back and choose to be ignorant. Unless you're a hardcore conservative that would call me a radical liberal.

Isle of Man
    Educate yourself on the New World Order, the Illuminati, the Free Masons, and the Skull And Bones. There's evidence of the worlds biggest leaders wanting to start population control... they're just trying to figure out how to do it without the masses catching on to the plan. Get informed; don't just sit back and choose to be ignorant. Unless you're a hardcore conservative that would call me a radical liberal.

Or a nutball

Fiji

Please for the love of Ry'leth tell me your joking.

sorry but the UN can find it's ass with both hands, written instructions, and GPS. Our current administration is at best easily outwitted by the three stooges, and FEMA the favorite child of conspiracy mongerers, has proven to be about as useful as tastebuds in your asshole.

there's no NWO, there's just stupid people helping evil people **** everyone else for a bigger quarterly percentage.

now take off that tinfoil hat.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Unless you're a hardcore conservative that would call me a radical liberal.
    I may be conservative... but I would never call you a radical Liberal, I don't know enough of your views. I would call you a conspiricy theorist. On a bad day I might call you a bull goose loony.... but today isn't a bad day.

You still haven't explained why they would kill most of the population...when the population makes the goods and services that make civilization possible. We've AVOIDED automation in most manufacturing due to Union pressure...Frankly, a disease that kills indescrimanately impresses me as a BAD plan for population control.

Just looking at it logically here....

M_