Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DEADLANDS -The HPotD MEMBER REVIEW Thread.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Another thing, I love the DVD cover, the entire packaging is of such a high calibre you certainly wouldn’t know it was a home job.

Overall I rate this film 8/10
    That artwork is by HPotD member chukrok. The guy did a F-in amazing job on it and I love it. I had a giant 4ftx5ft poster made of that art and it is sits between my DAWN poster and SHAUN poster.

Chuk did a great job.

Thanks for the awesome review. Glad ya liked the film. And if I am ever in th eland of croc's and kangaroo's I would love to collaborate with you. There is two other people on this board I would love to collaborate with, Axlish and Minion Zombie. I would love to get a whole Four Rooms style film made, all about zombies.

Thanks bro... I will let Lou know about the good news he is up in Pennsyltucky skiing, snowboarding, snorting HPotD or something. I know he is w/o internet and must be going mad.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Welcome to HPotD TGB.

Thanks for your review on the film. Not too negative, not praising it, but at least you enjoyed some parts of the film.

Does Zombie-Nation know you're here? I hope they don't get mad at you. Welcome, all the same hopefully you stick around. HPotD is a great place.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Being a fan of Pat McGoohan's The Prisoner I try to be a free man and all. No one cares where I roam, it's usually the places I roam that wish I'd crawl back to whatever shoggoth pit that spawned me.
    I watched Deadlands again last night with a less critical eye since I wasn't taking notes for the overlong review (which was almost as long as my Hills Have Eyes review elsewhere) and found it alright. I decided that Brian actually warmed up pretty quick to the camera, quicker than I realized.

Really, on the second viewinf my two big suggestions:

1. Work hard with the extras, although if you're doing Deadlands part Deux you'll have less extras to wrangle since most of them are chow. I realize extras are a pain to control though and getting them to act anything (scared, pissed, concerned, etc.) is hard.

2. Stay behind the camera. You're a better director than actor. I think you know this though. As I said, your acting wasn't god awful at any point and Brian pulled ahead a bit on catching the hang of the acting.

Oh yeah, kudos for scoring the film rather than going for the 'tear your guts out metal' that usually surfaces when indie film makers start using their best friend's band instead of a score.

Undisclosed
    Welcome TGB. You get the 'longest deadlands review' award. Congrats

Undisclosed
    Well, I never do reviews half-arsed. I'm also critical as hell of any film. Dj probably knows I seldom have kind things to say about any film made after like '86. Usually I try to stick with stuff like Zombie Lake or Bianchi's Burial Ground cause those are ones everyone likes to see drug around in the muck cause they are funny films. Deadlands actually fared pretty will given my usual venom.

ViP

United States
    TwoGunBob, PM me your address, I want to send you a screener of my film to review. Great job.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    He will give you an honest review.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

DEADLANDS - The REVIEW Thread

Hey everyone, all of the reviews from HPotD members will be put into this thread to help clean up the DEADLANDS forum.

Thanks

Gary
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoGunBob View Post
    ...I watched Deadlands again last night with a less critical eye since I wasn't taking notes for the overlong review (which was almost as long as my Hills Have Eyes review elsewhere) and found it alright. I decided that Brian actually warmed up pretty quick to the camera, quicker than I realized.

...Oh yeah, kudos for scoring the film rather than going for the 'tear your guts out metal' that usually surfaces when indie film makers start using their best friend's band instead of a score.
    ::whispers:: Shhhhh, Dj, don't tell him Mystic Shadows was recorded by my band..

Actually, it fit well with the opening montage of scenes so we didn't see it as much of a big deal and we really did want at least one 'song' to put in the movie as opposed to 100% scored, but no "songs" if that makes sense. The rest of the film was scored by Dj and I added some guitar work here and there, but with the exception of Mystic Shadows and one other instrumental song (the empty after-the-slaughter traffic-jam "moody" piece - that was something I had for years but it never found a "home" 'till Deadlands) it was all Dj, and I think he did a fantastic job of scoring.

As far as my acting - you really think I warmed up to the camera? I still felt a tad uncomfortable with some of my performances here and there, but there were times when I stood back and went "wow... that felt so weird when we were doing the take" but upon review of the shot it actually turned out pretty damn good. Sometimes I surprised myself. I don't aspire to be an actor by any means, but it's at least nice to know I didn't come off as a total dufus. Dave Cooperman still remains my favorite actor in Deadlands.

TGB - thanks for coming over here and posting your review. We do appreciate it, and I'm glad you found some enjoyment in the film.

Also - to the rest that have been reviewing the film, thank you. I have been on vacation and haven't had a chance to personally thank everyone who has purchased and viewed the film, but your comments and encouragement for ways to make things even better the next time around are greatly appreciated and do not fall on deaf ears.

LC

***edited to say: y'know, I noticed something on a few of the reviews I feel should be addressed since most people seem to have missed it. When Dave locks himself in the bathroom in the shelter and uses the eyehook to lock the door, there actually is a reason why the zombie can't get in. First, zombies dont know how to work doorknobs and door handles in our movie and second, did everyone miss the fact that the door opens into the shelter and not into the bathroom itself? In other words, the door opens OUT 'twards the zombie in order to get into the bathroom. The door does not 'push in' to the bathroom, so our zombie friend just pounded on the door relentlessly to get in but never would be able to do so not because of the eye-hook in the bathroom on the door, but because the door opens 'twards her and she couldn't pull the handle - or wasn't smart enough.

Just wanted to clarify that because it's been brought up quite a few times, but I think some people missed the fact that the door opens out and away from the bathroom, not in, so the eyehook wasn't even necessary to keep the zombie out.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 16-Oct-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Undisclosed
    Yep, I too was going ot bring that up Lou, but I am not to good with words, so it would have probably been confusing, good way of putting it though.

I still laughed my ass off at the part where it says "TWO HOURS LATER..." and he unhooks the tiny dman thing.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcifan91 View Post
    I still laughed my ass off at the part where it says "TWO HOURS LATER..." and he unhooks the tiny dman thing.
    Hey, Dave was scared! Would YOU have left that bathroom with all the sounds of flesh being consumed outside? Sheeeit, I would've waited FOUR hours!

Yeah, I just kinda wanted to point out that fact 'cause apparently a lot of people are missing what's actually going on with the door and lock, and many have brought it up in their reviews. Just wanted to provide some clarification.

Super Moderator

UK
    I never noticed which way the door went ... I just found the li'l latch lock hilariously funny.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    everyone laughed at me for how fickle the lock us... I didn't care. Since you guys found it funny think of it being un-intentional humor that worked out to be funny.

I would love to take credit for the comedy genius of the sequence, more like stupidity is what I take credit for, but there was no where else for him to hide out in the damn place.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Ach, damn Dj, now you've let the cat out of the bag, you coulda just kept assuming responsibility for a classic bit of zombie comedy side-joking.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I never noticed which way the door went ... I just found the li'l latch lock hilariously funny.

Why does this not surprise me?