Thread: Your favorite cut of Dawn of hte Dead?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Your favorite cut of Dawn of hte Dead?

I know most would either say the Extended or the Theatrical cut, but I like the European cut better, I like the pace a lot better, and though it cuts out a lot of the comedy, I like the more serious tone, reminding me of Day of the Dead.

United States
    I wholeheartedly disagree. The Euro version is by far the least appealing of the three, in my opinon. I dont think that the tone is at all like that of Day. While I greatly enjoy the Goblin music, it is used far too much and too loud in the Euro version. It drowns out any kind of mood at all. The Theatrical cut is the superior version. I like the extended version only for the extra scenes of dialogue that we dont get to see in the Theatrical. And about the only reason I like the Euro version is for the scenes of dialogue and gore that are not in either of the other two.

I would be interested to know where you live TAF. Are you in Italy by any chance? Welcome to the board in any event.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Actually, I live in Monterey, California. I've wanted to visit PA for a while, but haven't really had any money as I'm a student... But yeah, I had recently liked the theatrical version best as well, but I sat down and watched the Euro-cut all the way through. I know there are some major flaws like the music not being synchronized very well, and the overuse of Goblin, but I just liked it more. I liked the fact that it was more based on actino than comedy, yet there was nothing wrong with the comedic (sp?) aspect of the film, it makes it a completely different movie. Another aspect I enjoyed about the film is the relentlessness of the bikers, even though there only a few extra scenes, I like how they are emphasized. When I said it had the same tone, I guess I meant the same mood, there's not nearly as much of a comedic aspect that the other two versions of Dawn had, as well as cutting out some of Franny scenes.

Oh and BTW, I used to be on the old forums, but I've been really busy with school recently, and I never took the time to register, but thanks.

capncnut
    I disagree also. The theatrical cut is the version I grew up with so naturally I'm gonna choose it. The extended version was a close second but the Euro cut was (basically) abysmal. Barring the deleted scenes and a few great soundtrack changes, there is almost nothing tempting me to watch it again anytime soon.
    Last edited by capncnut; 08-Dec-2006 at 03:31 AM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can't decide on just one. I love all three and switch between which one I want to watch depending on my mood. I've also found that the Argento cut has worked best for introducing friends to DOTD.

PS - You should have made this a poll.

Super Moderator

UK
    The Extended Cut is the one and only for me, it was the first version I saw and I really like the added depth it provides. The Theatrical Cut takes out too many moments I really loved in the Extended Cut. The European Cut is fun to watch for a change, but it's pretty daft - the incessant Goblin ruins the atmosphere more often than not because it's the wrong tracks in the wrong places, you're hit over the head with too much Goblin.

The Euro Cut does show some footage not seen in the other versions, which is interesting, but it's just a very strange cut of the film to be honest, it doesn't work too well.

Extended Cut all the way for me baby, I saw it for the first time on my 15th birthday and was glued to the screen for the entire 2 hours and 20 minutes and didn't move an inch, it was spellbinding.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I prefer either the Theatrical or Extended cut. I've watched the Euro Cut once(and then again for the cast commentary) and never really felt the need to revisit that edit. I think Argento missed a fairly large amount of what Romero's film had and needed to have. The end result was closer to what wider audiences would enjoy(which is understandable being that it was some of his money) and seemed to cut down on characterizations and commentary. It was more like an action flick to me.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Extended Cut all the way for me baby, I saw it for the first time on my 15th birthday and was glued to the screen for the entire 2 hours and 20 minutes and didn't move an inch, it was spellbinding.
    Oooh, I can feel a thread coming on.