Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stephen King's Cell being adapted for big screen

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I remember someone telling me that King doesn't even write his own books anymore. He uses "Ghost Writers" or something like that. Anyone else heard this?

As far as the movie goes....well, I haven't read the book, but that Roth fella can go f*ck himself.

Like Chakobsa said, "Would you like fries with that?"

Being Attacked

Vatican City State
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I remember someone telling me that King doesn't even write his own books anymore. He uses "Ghost Writers" or something like that. Anyone else heard this?
    Never heard that myself, but I think that people may have said that because his writing over the last 10 years or so hasn't been his best (the Dark Tower series excepted).

Cell was a return to form in my opinion, however, the ending was weak (but he almost always leaves us with a bad (or just not good) ending.

Cell is a really good book. It could be a great movie.

I have high hopes for this one...

United States
    As usual, this movie will suck unless stephen king is involved in the making of the movie. This seems to be the case with all King movies. The ones he has a direct hand in making (Pet Semetary, The Shining mini-series, etc) always seem to turn out decent, but the ones adapted from his stories without his involvement (The Mangler, Night Shift, and so many others I can't count) always turn out to be turds.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for this one.

LC

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    As usual, this movie will suck unless stephen king is involved in the making of the movie. This seems to be the case with all King movies. The ones he has a direct hand in making (Pet Semetary, The Shining mini-series, etc) always seem to turn out decent, but the ones adapted from his stories without his involvement (The Mangler, Night Shift, and so many others I can't count) always turn out to be turds.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for this one.

LC
    Was he involved in "The Stand" as that turned out OK...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    I personally found Cell to be one of the best King books written in quite some time. The film could be great but I'm not too happy with Eli Roth being at the helm. I thought Hostel sucked!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just read cell, and i prefer david moodys hater, there both a lot alike but hater has a better ending.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Was he involved in "The Stand" as that turned out OK...
    Yes, he wrote the teleplay for this and was also a producer.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i didnt like the stand's movie version i preffered the storm of the century.

United States
    The Stand was a better read than the movie, but they didn't do too bad with the movie. I think 8 hours was a bit much, but then again, it's a pretty lengthy book, so...

Storm of the Century - now that was a great movie if for one reason only: the ending. Typical Stephen King.

capncnut
    I saw the movie before I read it and was put off completely. I'm glad I did read it though, it's one of his best.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    anyone catch misery last night?, that was one of the better ones adapted to film i reckon.

capncnut
    Sure did and I totally agree with you man. Kathy Bates is awesome in Misery.

United States
    Kathy Bates was AWESOME in Misery, however, there's one thing I take issue with concerning the adaptation of the book to the movie.

Remember when she 'hobbles' him? She puts the block between his feet and breaks his ankles with the sledgehammer?

Well, in the book it didn't happen that way. She cuts off his foot with and cauterizes the wounds shut with a - get this - blowtorch!

What they did in the movie was effective, but it could've been one hell of a lot more graphic like the novel and I would've ate it up.

Still, a good adaptation of his book.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 27-Oct-2006 at 04:09 PM.

United States
    I'd like to see Bag of Bones as a movie.
    Cell would be ok, IF that Eli Roth guy wasn't involved.