Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *ugh* ... computers ...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtothe3 View Post
    Bit of an odd one to throw in the ring...

Basically my comp conked out a while back, it seems to boot fine, but the moment it gets to the loading screen immediatly prior to getting onto the desktop it just goes kaput. I hadn't installed any new software or hardware, it doesn't make strange noises, it just stops. All the electrics appear to still work (i noticed my I-pod still charges) but the screen is just blank at that point. Any ideas folks? (cheers in advance)

Also i have a linux install disk, seeing as i cannot find the original disk I got with my laptop (laptop doesn't go on the net so I assume I can use the same OS code on both?) what do you folks make of linux, and would i find it preferable to windows?

Cheers again dudes *feels like an idiot *
    I am not familiar enough with linux at the moment. I have only dabbled with it and in the time I did play around with the program it was brief so I really can't help you there.

Is it the linux machine giving you the issues?

Usually if it conks out on boot up the boot up files are corrupt. That is standard protocol for windows, should be universally the same. All OS's need start-up files if something is wrong with those they usually cannot proceed to properly boot up.

However, it has been know to be hardware issues to. For instance if your processor gets to hot during start up it can prevent the pc from booting or even cause it to reboot. This is also true for memory chips and motherboards.

Is the computer just hanging or does it shut down/reboot?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    *everything flies over head* *looks rather dizzy and confused* *falls over*

When upping footage I go in 5 to 10 minute chunks. Then I back up the footage to DVD-R. I capture to various time lengths to have a greater variety of file sizes, so I then pic and choose to fill up each disc. Works for me, I rarely have to re-up the footage after backing up to DVD-R anyway - only have needed to do it a couple of times.

My PC gets a heck of a lot of use, heavy I'd say, but it's certainly not on 24/7. Almost every day yes, usually for the afternoon, then maybe early evening and then most likely at night before I go to bed. I use it a lot less than I did at uni when it was always running - sometimes just to use my WinAmp list, ha! My laptop however, that was on 24/7 quite literally. There was a time when I managed to go a month without disconnecting from the internet and therefore downloading - would have gone longer, but the computer overheated and froze so I was forced to restart, lol.

Used to have a desk fan blowing on it all day as well in the summer to keep it cool and to keep it from burning my left wrist/boiling the blood in my veins there, haha.

Does this partioning stuff require the actual Windows disc? If so, no-can-do as I don't have one like I said earlier. Smaller computer shops that make computers use one copy of Windows and install to all their produced machines. Hundreds if not thousands of shops across the UK do the same thing, wasn't a problem until Genuine Disadvantage - or whenever you require the windows disc itself, ha!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When you re-install windows it gives you a set of options to prepare the hard drive. It will ask you where you want to install the OS etc etc. WINDOWS XP is pretty user friendly in this area just read the prompts or google HARD DRIVE PARTITION for WINDOWS XP at WINDOWS INSTALL you should find a whole tutorial on that.

You don't need a genuine version of windows, just keep in mind cracked versions are illegal, but any disc with WINDOWS XP full install on it will do fine, hell you can even use an upgrade disc too. I don't buy full versions I buy upgrades because all the files are there you just need to have an old windows 98 disc laying around to pop in the ole DVD rom when it asks do you already have a M$ OS installed.

buying the upgrades saves you $200.00
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Dj, I think this just proves that we're the epitome of computer geeks here on HPotD.

NEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I am not familiar enough with linux at the moment. I have only dabbled with it and in the time I did play around with the program it was brief so I really can't help you there.

Is it the linux machine giving you the issues?

Usually if it conks out on boot up the boot up files are corrupt. That is standard protocol for windows, should be universally the same. All OS's need start-up files if something is wrong with those they usually cannot proceed to properly boot up.

However, it has been know to be hardware issues to. For instance if your processor gets to hot during start up it can prevent the pc from booting or even cause it to reboot. This is also true for memory chips and motherboards.

Is the computer just hanging or does it shut down/reboot?
    Sorry, here's what I've got (confused it a bit with the last post)

Laptop - Running Windows 2000, whilst i don't have the machine on me, there's an install disk around here somewhere that came with it, although i really wouldn't want to use 2000 again.

Main Comp - Running XP, it gets to the loading (with the snake type object going across the middle of the screen) then it sort of fails. Doesn't re-boot, just the screen goes blank, the monitor light stays green. My I-pod will charge in this state, but there's seemingly nothing going on in the machine, although it makes all the usual "i'm running" noises. Completely unresponsive, although reset and power buttons work.

I have no idea what's wrong, but it's been suggested it needs a re-install, seeing as i only have the linux install disk i was wondering how that would do me to get it back on it's feet?

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtothe3 View Post
    Sorry, here's what I've got (confused it a bit with the last post)

Laptop - Running Windows 2000, whilst i don't have the machine on me, there's an install disk around here somewhere that came with it, although i really wouldn't want to use 2000 again.

Main Comp - Running XP, it gets to the loading (with the snake type object going across the middle of the screen) then it sort of fails. Doesn't re-boot, just the screen goes blank, the monitor light stays green. My I-pod will charge in this state, but there's seemingly nothing going on in the machine, although it makes all the usual "i'm running" noises. Completely unresponsive, although reset and power buttons work.

I have no idea what's wrong, but it's been suggested it needs a re-install, seeing as i only have the linux install disk i was wondering how that would do me to get it back on it's feet?
    Hmm, you could try and startup in safe mode, press F8 when the computer boots.
    There should also be an option to confirm each file on startup, you can go through them and find out exactly where the computer hangs.

MZ, I believe there are partition applications you can use in windows. However, since your current partition takes up the whole disk, you would have to delete it, create a new smaller one to install windows on, then you could use the application to create partitions from the rest of the disk.

So the short answer is nope, you are gonna need an install disk.

Dtothe3, Linux is useful if you plan on using your computer for a web server, however if you just want to surf and play games it ain't worth it. Linux takes a lot of your time configuring and customizing and you will most likely need a windows emulator to run most applications.
    Last edited by LoSTBoY; 26-Oct-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY View Post
    Hmm, you could try and startup in safe mode, press F8 when the computer boots.
    There should also be an option to confirm each file on startup, you can go through them and find out exactly where the computer hangs.

MZ, I believe there are partition applications you can use in windows. However, since your current partition takes up the whole disk, you would have to delete it, create a new smaller one to install windows on, then you could use the application to create partitions from the rest of the disk.

So the short answer is nope, you are gonna need an install disk.

Dtothe3, Linux is useful if you plan on using your computer for a web server, however if you just want to surf and play games it ain't worth it. Linux takes a lot of your time configuring and customizing and you will most likely need a windows emulator to run most applications.

I was just about to post all this thanx for saving me the time.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    I emailed the guy who's fixing my comp about this partioning thing. I said if it costed anything extra, then nevermind (on a very tight budget, seriously), but if it was something he could do easily whilst he was at the job anyway, then do it as long as it won't bugger anything up.

Administrator

England
    To repartition drives, "Partition Magic" is your friend...

You can even re-partition drives, or resize partitions with data on... You can even convert your drives (eg: to/from NTFS) with data on...

Regarding data, you need to think ahead and consider, "if that machine blew up tomorrow" what data would I lose. All my important data such as email, photos and music etc is stored to a different machine or at least an external USB hard drive (that is switched off 99% of the time).
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Ah yes, Parition Magic - I forgot about that program! Yes, Neil is correct - I believe you can repartition your HD's without losing any data with that program. Pretty slick. Good suggestion, Neil.

LC

Super Moderator

UK
    Whatever NTFS means, hehe, thanks for the info though.

I backup quite regularly all my data on CDs and DVDs, one of these days I'll get an external hard-drive for other back-ups, but not exactly flush at the moment, hehe.

United States
    NTFS = basically means the "WindowsNT File System"

*puts his hands to the side of his head, concentrates really hard on MZ, nose begins to bleed* "I'm gonna suck your brain dry!"

(a 'Scanners' reference.. )
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 27-Oct-2006 at 02:02 PM. Reason: to correct spelling - I was huked on foniks!

Super Moderator

UK
    *puts helmet made of lead on*

Beat that sucka!

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

*puts his hands to the side of his head, concentrates really hard on MZ, nose begins to bleed* "I'm gonna suck your brain dry!"
    Easy there, Darryl Revok.

Now where is my shot of
    ephemerol?

Scotland
    Ah, well, there you go; Partition magic.

I've never dabbled with it, I did my partitioning on windows startup or with FDISK back in the day.

I thought it might mess up the file system splitting up a partition with data on it.

Don't worry about NTFS, if you have Windows XP then it would have been set up for it.