Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duane Jones

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Duane Jones

Am I alone thinking that Duane Jones' acting in NOTLD is freaking brilliant? I know the other cast mainly suck, but Duane is totally believable and commited to this role. You never doubt him for a second. It's unfortunate that typecasting killed what could have been a brilliant career. He could have been as influential as Sydney Poitier, if only he were given the chance. The 70's could have been huge for him, I sincerely believe this. Am I crazy?

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by otisbenny View Post
    Am I alone thinking that Duane Jones' acting in NOTLD is freaking brilliant? I know the other cast mainly suck, but Duane is totally believable and commited to this role. You never doubt him for a second. It's unfortunate that typecasting killed what could have been a brilliant career. He could have been as influential as Sydney Poitier, if only he were given the chance. The 70's could have been huge for him, I sincerely believe this. Am I crazy?
    He was ok I guess. Nothing brilliant though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah but sydney poiter could turn into a giant turtle to fight mecha-strisand

United States
    I thought he was very good too

United States
    his name makes me think he's a running back from the 70's

United States
    I think that Sydney Poitier would have been better in the role of Ben.

They call me Mr. Ben!

United States
    I don't think he was typecast, I think he was not interested in films too much, as an actor.
    Why would you be alone in thinking he was great in NOTLD. Millions who saw it probably agree. I think he was in large part responsible for the level of quality in the film, along with the filmakers of course.

"Nothing brilliant though."
    What?!?!
    You just don't like Romeros films too much do you. You seem to crap on them at every opportunity.
    This IS a Romero appreciation site, in case you haven't noticed.

If Duane Jones' Perfromance is "ehhh" exactly what qualifies as brilliant? Stallone In Rambo 3?!?!
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I wasn't really blown away by Duane Jones performance either. I mean, sure it's good. But I've seen alot better.

capncnut
    Am I alone thinking that Duane Jones' acting in NOTLD is freaking brilliant?
    I agree with you man, Duane has a melancholic presence on-screen that I find mesmerising to watch. He was a fine actor and I totally respect the man for turning away the fast buck and not doing s**tty blaxsploitation movies. I listened to the audio of his final interview and was surprised at how upbeat he was in real life! R.I.P. Duane.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    I don't think he was typecast, I think he was not interested in films too much, as an actor.
    Why would you be alone in thinking he was great in NOTLD. Millions who saw it probably agree. I think he was in large part responsible for the level of quality in the film, along with the filmakers of course.

"Nothing brilliant though."
    What?!?!
    You just don't like Romeros films too much do you. You seem to crap on them at every opportunity.
    This IS a Romero appreciation site, in case you haven't noticed.

If Duane Jones' Perfromance is "ehhh" exactly what qualifies as brilliant? Stallone In Rambo 3?!?!
    lol I see, so we arent here to discuss zombie films only to appreciate GARs work and all people who are critical dont belong? Get real friend.

His performance was ehhh... I watched the original NOTLD 2 days ago on Demand. I love the film, but lets call a peach a peach. he was a bit of an amateur and not brilliant at all. He wasnt bad, but he wasnt phenominal niether.

If you dont like other peoples opinions I suggest you stop reading them. maybe turning off your computer too.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    lol I see, so we arent here to discuss zombie films only to appreciate GARs work and all people who are critical dont belong? Get real friend.

His performance was ehhh... I watched the original NOTLD 2 days ago on Demand. I love the film, but lets call a peach a peach. he was a bit of an amateur and not brilliant at all. He wasnt bad, but he wasnt phenominal niether.

If you dont like other peoples opinions I suggest you stop reading them. maybe turning off your computer too.
    ok, so, you're one of these goobers that compare today's flicks with yesteryear? Can't watch an old flick without thinking "Gosh, oh gee.....CGI would work WONDERS there!" - **vomits**

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    ok, so, you're one of these goobers that compare today's flicks with yesteryear? Can't watch an old flick without thinking "Gosh, oh gee.....CGI would work WONDERS there!" - **vomits**
    Nope not at all. I compare films to my internal "what makes a good film" index in my brain. NOTLD was a good film. Duane Jones acting was good, but not great.

Youre one of those "GARs films are god sends and anyone who disagrees is a moron" right? Its like when Matrix 3 came out and everyone said it was crap and the diehard fanboys were like "oh you just dont ge tit" I get it, its just that once I did I didnt want it anymore.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Nope not at all. I compare films to my internal "what makes a good film" index in my brain. NOTLD was a good film. Duane Jones acting was good, but not great.

Youre one of those "GARs films are god sends and anyone who disagrees is a moron" right? Its like when Matrix 3 came out and everyone said it was crap and the diehard fanboys were like "oh you just dont ge tit" I get it, its just that once I did I didnt want it anymore.
    ok, NO on ALL of that......
    I honestly think you and I could have a GREAT time watching/reviewing.

peace

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Well , I really didn't want to start any fights. Maybe I was exagerrating with the Poitier reference, but consider the year 1968. How many black leading men were there? Well, there was Poitier and...uhm...that's about it. The potential was there for Jones to achieve those hights. Again how many blacks were horror film (or any film) heroes. Without the actor's race ever once being mentioned? In The Heat Of The Night was mostly about Poitier being a black cop in a Southern city. It's all about race. NOTLD never once mentions race but it's like a dark cloud hanging over the film. Harry Cooper never says the "N" word but you can practically see him thinking it. Jones created a flawed hero (he's arrogant and stubborn) who just happens to be black, and smarter than all the white people around him. This was unheard of in '68. I just wanted to give him some props.

capncnut
    Well , I really didn't want to start any fights.
    Dont worry about it Otis, these two have been bitchin' at each other all day on other threads! It's not your fault man.