Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: George Romero Comments on Dawn '04

Atlanta, GA -- right smack in the middle of the Walking Dead apocalypse
    Undisclosed

George Romero Comments on Dawn '04

Though you guys might to hear it from George, himself:

http://one.revver.com/watch/86829/fo...affiliate/2554

(This is a short snippet from a video I shot during DragonCon this year of one of George's talks).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Foster: You're not running a talk show here, Mr. Berman! You can forget pitching an audience the moral bu11sh*t they want to hear!

http://deadandhungry.vox.com/

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Word.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    It was an action movie? A Video game? No George, it wasnt. If it was, then youre pretentious flop "Land of the dead" was a political ad. Its like the guy cant stand that someone elses zombie film was more successful commercially than his. I understand the title and concepts were ripped off, but George, its time to evolve baby.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    It was an action movie? A Video game? No George, it wasnt. If it was, then youre pretentious flop "Land of the dead" was a political ad. Its like the guy cant stand that someone elses zombie film was more successful commercially than his. I understand the title and concepts were ripped off, but George, its time to evolve baby.
    Yes, Khardis, it (Yawn '04) was/is an action movie/video game-ish pile of putrid, smelly vomit.
    Yawn '04 was not "successful" - it was/is "accepted" by some and will be forgotten in a few years.
    As far as GAR not being able to "stand that someone elses zombie film was more successful commercially than his" - ask him what he thinks of Shaun of the Dead. It's pretty obvious ole GAR appreciates originality.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomOnYou View Post
    commercial success is now the barometer for artistic genius?

The Back-door Boys were WAY more commercially successful than Jimi Hendrix for example... Hendrix is a God, the Backstreet Boys are a GAP commercial...

Same with Romero compared to Snyder
    EXACTLEY!

United States

The Back-door Boys were WAY more commercially successful than Jimi Hendrix for example... Hendrix is a God, the Backstreet Boys are a GAP commercial...

gotta hand it to you doom, hendrix is my all time fav. those words were like poetry. although i did think yawn was entertaining. and land, well we know what was good and bad about it. uuuuhhhuuummmm (bigdaddy)

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    Yes, Khardis, it (Yawn '04) was/is an action movie/video game-ish pile of putrid, smelly vomit.
    Yawn '04 was not "successful" - it was/is "accepted" by some and will be forgotten in a few years.
    As far as GAR not being able to "stand that someone elses zombie film was more successful commercially than his" - ask him what he thinks of Shaun of the Dead. It's pretty obvious ole GAR appreciates originality.
    Shaun of the dead was a comedy. not a horror film. and Dawn 04 was successful and probably one of the reasons why he was able to garner enough interest in doing more projects of his own.

And like I said if Dawn 04 was an action/video game then Land was a trite and pretentious political ad for the Democrats. Boooooring, I guess thats why it failed. Why is it so hard for fanboys to see this?

United States
    Shaun of the dead was a comedy. not a horror film. and Dawn 04 was successful and probably one of the reasons why he was able to garner enough interest in doing more projects of his own.

And like I said if Dawn 04 was an action/video game then Land was a trite and pretentious political ad for the Democrats. Boooooring, I guess thats why it failed. Why is it so hard for fanboys to see this?
    First....I'm not a "fanboy"
    Second, whether a film is a comedy or a horror makes no difference as long as it's original.
    Third, (again) Yawn '04 was NOT "successful" it was accepted.
    Fourth, Land did not "fail".

Banned User

Undisclosed

I think your comparision is a little lame and it doesnt hold much water. Dawn 04 was commercially successful because it is an enjoyable horror film to watch.

Land flopped because it was a trite pretentious boring political tirade. The 1 saving grace is that Nicotero was there to keep it afloat. Other than that the film was a waste of time.

And who says the Backstreet Boys vs hendrix suck? I dont understand, who made you the final vote in whats considered good music vs what is not? Maybe the reason the BSB are commercially successful is because thier music (although not my favorite) is more mainstream acceptable. Ya know just because something is Indy or Cult doesnt means its actually more artistically genius. It just means it wasnt interesting enough at the time for investors to want to put money in. But I assume you think something like Lord of the Rings was a big piece of talentless crap too right? I mean it was well funded by Hollywood and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    First....I'm not a "fanboy"
    Second, whether a film is a comedy or a horror makes no difference as long as it's original.
    Third, (again) Yawn '04 was NOT "successful" it was accepted.
    Fourth, Land did not "fail".
    Yes it does matter, just because you dont want it to is irrelevant. GAR wont say anyhting nice about Dawn 04 because its a horror movie that performs better than his latest film which was garbage. 2nd Dawn 04 was successful, deal with it. 4th Land was a flop, in essence is failed. Deal with it. Come to grips.
    Last edited by Khardis; 27-Oct-2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/dawn2004.html

Land was far from perfect, but I'd hardly call Dawn 04 "evolved". It was shallow and it's only real merit was some of its action (most of the first 15 minutes was pretty good).

Personally I'd rather have less action and more plot and character than psychic ninja zombies that somehow know when to be quiet etc...

ps: Regarding the first 15 mins of Dawn 04... It of couse had a sex scene, which typically IMHO is an indication of poor writing. Oh look these characters really love each other cos they shag - Very weak!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States

Someone asked his OPINION and he answered it. GAR can't give his Opinion? You seem to have no problem doing so and no one remade YOUR classic.

Its not like he said 'Its sucked". He said Zach did a pretty good job, but it lost its meaning and it's not his cup of tea. I wouldn't call it slagging.
    And because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are a fanboy. Honestly, you're the one doing the fanboy ranting here."If you don't agree with me, you must live in your mom's basement and drink jolt all day". C'mon, dude.

The political references were heavy handed, but if your surprised at an artist being a humanist, you don't know too many.

Btw, I almost forgot,
    Thanks for the post. would love to see more!
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    ...... if your surprised at an artist being a humanist, you don't know too many.
    no truer words have ever been typed.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    And because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are a fanboy. Honestly, you're the one doing the fanboy ranting here.
    You took the words right out of my mouth Coma.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well he didn't say it sucked. It just isn't his cup of tea. But he admitted Zack did a good job with it. So from the man himself the remake doesn't suck. Just not his style. Yet what i find Ironic is there was more character development in DAWN 04 than there was in LAND.

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    ....what i find Ironic is there was more character development in DAWN 04 than there was in LAND.
    ok, friend......please elaborate...because I fould (wtf is a "fould"??? I meant found) Yawn '04 boring and predictable. Land, I'll admit, I enjoyed because I am a GAR fan.....but, Yawn '04.....one scene stands out in my mind.......Sarah Polley's foot