Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Question for Spaced fans....

Kazakhstan
    oh dear, think i might have wittered about this before, but you need you some black books on dvd badly.

black books is written by the father ted team, and produced by the spaced team (referred to by the spaced crew as a "sister show")...it stars bill bailey (the legend), dylan moran (the one who gets ripped in half in shaun of the dead), and tamsin grieg (green wing, doctor who) - it's got a hell of a pedigree.

"why can't you take him seriously?"
    "i cant...i just...cant...he's like a horse ...in a man costume"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah, that AND father ted.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just had to say that I finally saw three episodes of "Spaced". It's finally airing on BBC America and I caught episodes 1, 13, and 14. I set my DVR to record them all. FUNNY stuff.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    word byatch i lent em to a freind, who subsiquently leant em to 26 more so i finally got em back and had a good couch po-ta-to session re runnin' em, and damn its awesome, bring on hot-fuzz.

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn straight bring on Hot Fuzz ... and Hellsing, that's one of the many reasons I don't lend sh*t to friends, unless I really trust the individual with my media. Once I lent Dare Devil to a friend and she kept the damn thing for months before I finally got it back, by which time she'd be in possession of it longer than I had - and I was the one who bought the f*ckin' thing!

I find Spaced to be the sort of show you have to watch completely through from episode 1 to episode 14. You can't really dive in and out for one episode ... although you can ... but I just feel it's a much more rewarding experience to occasionally have a Spaced sesh and run through them all chronologically.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So I watched episode one again last night. Anyone have any idea how many movie references are in that episode?

Obviously the Matrix is one, but I also picked up on Goodfellas("as far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a Skateboarder"), Pulp Fiction, Scarface, Apocalypse Now, Star Wars, plus several others that I cant remember. I mean....is that not alot for a single 27 minute tv show???

It's all funny, though.

Kazakhstan
    there is a hella lot of refs in the 2nd series, a lot less subtle than the ones in the first, but still hilarious. i think there's a subtitle option that tells you whenever one appears.

the most obscure one is when the dog gets snatched and tim says it got snagged by "a crocodile...or something", which is a reference to that x files episode where scully's dog is eaten by an alligator...lol...nice one guys.

the hot fuzz world premiere is gonna be at this tiny little cinema up the road from me, gonna try n blag it somehow

Super Moderator

UK
    Son of a bitch! I can't wait to see Hot Fuzz, they've been tickling my balls with teasers and vlogs for months now.

Indeed, on the DVD for Spaced there is a subtitle option that points out every single reference in the whole show. They come thick and fast, and while you see so many, you always miss a bundle too.

Spaced is a fantastic show, genius ... nay ... FRIED GOLD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Spaced is a fantastic show, genius ... nay ... FRIED GOLD!

And there's STILL no way to get it over here in the states. BBC America just started showing it in order, so i've just got my DVR set to record them all. The bad part is that it only comes on once every weekend. It's going to take a while....

Super Moderator

UK
    You should import the DVD like LouCipherr did. Sure it's PAL, but you've surely got a Region All player, right?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You should import the DVD like LouCipherr did. Sure it's PAL, but you've surely got a Region All player, right?
    Negative.

I've always bought my DVDs around here.

Then again, I'm not really sure. How can I check?....

Super Moderator

UK
    It'll say on the back of the DVD player itself, or you might find a 'handset hack' online which is basically the keycode the people in the factory use to set the region code of each player. I re-set mine to Region 0 so I can play all DVDs (the whole region code thing is retarded).

Otherwise, use your computer (there are ways to fudge that region checker too ... but obviously, I technically canny tell you) ... ahhhh ... the wonder of Google...

Kazakhstan
    not sure if the spaced dvds are still available? i remember seein the 3 disc edition deleted & goin for 50 odd quid on amazon.

i know the first edition of series one on dvd doesnt have the reference subtitles.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    50 quid?!?! its only 9.99 at HMV.

Kazakhstan
    lol o yeah, seems to have recovered now, well there was a time when it was deleted, momentarily at least, cos i remember seriously considering flogging mine when i was hard up, but deciding against it. shoulda done!