Thread: Zombie Diaries Review

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Zombie Diaries Review

Hi Kevin and Michael,

I found this forum via your imdb page. I was at the screening last night, I am a filmmaker from Stevenage (just down the road from you boys) I've been in touch with Mike quite a bit via his website. I couldn't see you guys when the screening was over otherwise I would have come over and said hi.

Anyway, as a fellow filmmaker, I have some creative thoughts towards your film. I hope this review is helpful..

Basically the mix of the blair witch camera and the zombies worked really well. I absolutely loved the night vision stuff - I found that very cinematic and atmopsheric.

The acting was strong - some moments felt *very* real, like the little girl scene and the two psychos. There didn't seem to be any 'weak link' so to speak, although I would have liked to have learned a little more about the characters. It's a strange trade off - to make it a better film I think you'd need to learn more about the characters to empathise, but then it feels less like real footage as you will have characters with too much exposition. That is tricky.

The music was great - more like tones but how I imagined it would be.

The pacing was great at the beginning - the transition into chaos was quite good. It tailed off a bit after that, but then picked up and was relentless. I don't know if you plan to trim any of the film?

To sum up, it was a pretty good film and a great night of halloween enterainment. My main criticisms would be around the characters. I just wish I could have learned a little more about the characters, but I accept it is a fine line between exposition and realism. A few jumpy moments would also be good, although I respect you for not taking that route and trying to create some genuine atmos.

I certainly will buy a copy when it is out on DVD. Let me know the plans.

Also a beer in the future would be good?

Peace.

Maz.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Hi Maz, thanks for the review. Mike and myself appreciate this feedback and your points have been echoed by other reviews that are surfacing. It's all very positive though which is great. Yeah drop me or Mike a line if you fancy meeting up in Letchworth for a beer.

Kevin
    Kevin Gates: Writer & Director - The Zombie Diaries

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    is it just me or does this forum bring the british indie film makers out the wodwork?

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    is it just me or does this forum bring the british indie film makers out the wodwork?
    Hopefully!! Btw a friend of mine Matthew Hope has just finished his feature film 'The Vanguard' that was filmed near Stevenage. Shot on 35mm it looks pretty impressive:

www.vanguardmovie.com

Not quite a zombie film, but the 'biosynth' creatures look zombie-esque.
    Kevin Gates: Writer & Director - The Zombie Diaries

capncnut
    The Vanguard looks great! Another movie I'm gonna put on my 'must see' list.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

2nd time around even better

Guys,

Came to the showing on the 11th (again!), this time with my sister - I take back everything about the characters. The film moves at such a pace it's like a rocket, you should be commended for the amount of information you have packed into the film. This time I saw subtleties I had missed before - this is definitely a thinking man's horror film.

Some more comments I have from my second viewing, and also from my sister:

* Loved the use of shadows and light (or lack of!) - the darkness and eeriness works so much better than just throwing gore and blood at the viewer.

* Loved the jumpy sounds you added - it was an interesting compromise to satisfty the masses, but it doesn't detract from the realism.

* I left the cinema feeling depressed - the sense of bleakness is just so damn raw. I love the spin on humans V humans.

You have a winner on your hands, and the guy who said the effects were rubbish is talking out of his grapefruit - the effects were terrific.

The Zombie Diaries is definitely one of the most original horror movies I have ever seen. I definitely will be up for a few copies when it's released.

It was great to met you on the night too - you're sound guys and I wish you every success.