Thread: Diary Of The Dead Goodness...

Undisclosed

Diary Of The Dead Goodness...

First Images and Such!

READ IT HERE

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I hope that's not the poster that they use....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I hope that's not the poster that they use....
    Ya, that does look a little TOO cheesy for a GAR flick.

Undisclosed
    I dont know man, that original Land of the dead poster was pretty damn cheesey. I for one, am all for the cheese factor of these posters.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I do like the tagline, "Shoot the dead.", though.

I think the main thing that I don't like about the poster is that the dude's hat says R.I.P.

The severed arm holding the camera is pretty cool...

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    I'd like it if they: lost the hat, severed arm, and changed the look of the two prominent zombies.

It's ridiculous, but I'm likin' the tag line.
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

England
    Im quite liking the poster. Apart form the RIP and i think the font of the title can do with something else. Otherwise im cool with it

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    i donīt like the zombies in the poster. thet seem to be "hulk type " zombies... .the poster seems like a videogame cover or something..
    the movie stills donīt seem too much "Realistic"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post
    i donīt like the zombies in the poster. thet seem to be "hulk type " zombies... .the poster seems like a videogame cover or something..
    the movie stills donīt seem too much "Realistic"
    Its obviously drawn by a SUperhero Artist that somehow thinks people actually look like that. I think it's homoerotic wishful thinking

Yeah, the poster is pretty lame, ANd the Font is too much like DOTD 04.
    But as long as the movie is good, who cares
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    The poster for this has officially killed any interest I may have in had seeing this.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    The poster for this has officially killed any interest I may have in had seeing this.
    you suck
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United Kingdom
    is it me or does the dude holding the camera remind anyone of Romero himself. Or is this just me pointing out the obvious
    In the End Its All Just A Gag - Charlie Chaplin

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    old news but interesting
    On the set of his new film, Diary of the Dead, George Romero instructs Joe Dinicol on the finer points of acting with zombies.

Rumours of George A. Romero's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Internet message boards are buzzing with word that the zombie auteur recently collapsed on-set and production on his latest film has been postponed.

The spry 66-year-old man in front of me, rail thin at 6-foot-5, briefly flutters his arms and shuffles his feet in a mock dance to prove otherwise. "Look at me," he said in his trailer. "I passed my insurance physical to do this movie, so that's fine for me, man!"

Romero is not dead, or undead, he is merely living in Toronto. He has taken the trail sought after by so many of the embattled survivors in his tetralogy of zombie films, beginning with Night of the Living Dead (1968). "I'm heading north, to Canada," the protagonist will always say. "Where there's no people."

The long-time Pittsburgh resident has lived in Toronto since 2004, but still gets ribbed about the "no people" line. "People took that the wrong way in Land of the Dead. What I meant was somewhere way up north."

But he's no Democrat fleeing the red state hordes. The old team he used to work with in Pittsburgh has dispersed to New York and Los Angeles, casualties of that city's shrinking film industry. After already making two films in Toronto, he said he has found a new family, a good crew and the right economic incentives. And there's another thing: "Here, I have a girlfriend."

Diary of the Dead, currently shooting at a downtown warehouse-cum-soundstage and in the suburban backwoods of Markham, Ont., is a return to Romero's independent, low-budget roots after Universal Studios financed Land of the Dead. Following a group of student filmmakers heading into the bush, it is also a return to the franchise's origins. "In this story, we're back to the first night," Romero said. "It's really going all the way back and telling a different story with a new group of people."

There's another pragmatic reason that Romero is returning to the Dead franchise. When the distributor changed the tail of Night's original title from Flesh Eaters to Living Dead, the copyright symbol that should appear next to film's name went missing in the final print. The film, which trade paper Variety said "raised doubts about . . . the moral health of moviegoers," has been in the public domain ever since; Romero receives no royalties and has no ownership of any of the subsequent Dead movies.

Making Diary is his way of reasserting copyright, and he has a stake in the production.

It's fitting, in a way, that Night of the Living Dead should belong to all of us. The sheer primitive pleasure of watching stilted and stumbling versions of ourselves noshing on the tasty tissue of human brain is one thing. The more disturbing implications of watching how humans behave, collectively and individually, in a state of crisis is another. The walking undead have proved to be a rather enduring and pliable metaphor for aspects of the modern condition -- from conformity and consumerism to social chaos and disease. Romero always played ironically with the socio-political subtext in his films, most notably Day of the Dead's critique of consumerism, zombies wandering aimlessly through a DayGlo shopping mall. ("They come here because they remember it was important to them," deadpans one of the survivors.)

In the post-9/11 world in which Romero wrote Land, he riffed on issues of homeland security; Dennis Hopper based his portrayal of Kaufman, the despotic administrator who lords over a fortified city, on U.S. Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld.

"You can read whatever you want into the zombies," Romero said. "People who write film treatises about these movies have them representing just about anything. In my mind, it's just been about some sort of revolutionary sea change in society. I don't care what they represent. They're evolving, a new species taking over. It's about adaptation and our ability to either adapt or find some way to co-exist or not. That should be the driving force. But all the different characters in all the different situations try to maintain life as it was, without acknowledging life is no longer what it was."

Romero is surprised that his premise has had so much gas. In the past four years, his work has spawned a gaggle of new zombie flicks, from 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead and the upcoming Canadian feature Fido, in which zombies figure as pets. While Romero is a big fan of Shaun, he's less enamoured of 28 Days, picking on the fact that its undead do not lurch and stumble, but run. Which, he sighs, just isn't right. When asked once how you direct a zombie, he said, "Loll your head as if it's a little too heavy and the muscles have begun to atrophy." He promises a few in-jokes about it in his new film.

There's a flip side, however, to Romero's influence -- not many other director's films have been remade so often. Even his little seen 1971 film The Crazies is slated for an updating. But he hardly blinks about it.

"I'm just this funny guy over here making movies, not paying much attention to what's going on over there. Stephen King is often asked, 'How do you feel about Hollywood ruining your books?' And he says, 'They didn't ruin my books, they're right here on the shelf behind me.' So I figure my movies are mine."

For one of the icons of American horror cinema, the progenitor of an entire zombie subgenre, it's surprising when Romero says none of his films since Night of the Living Dead are "really scary," and even that one he's not so sure about. He admits that in the past 10 years he has viewed all his old films again, and sees instead the constant evolution of his craft.

"I've relied on tricks," he said. "I've never really had an idea that was believable enough to lend itself to [being scary]. Monkey Shines [1988] has a few jolts, a few creepy moments. I think Alien, for example, is a really scary movie, very well-crafted. There are other obvious ones, like The Exorcist, that really get to you on a different level. But first you need some dough, then you need some time, and have an idea able to make the audience completely suspend its disbelief. Then you can just work on crafting it. But that takes time. And so, what you do when you don't have that kind of time and money is rely on the old jumps and tricks, and bah! It's about all you have time for."

With its low-budget friendly premise of student filmmakers in the woods, Romero dismissed comparisons to The Blair Witch Project.

"Blair Witch was trying to be much more desperately realistic. It was hyperreal. It was just viscerally experiential. This is not. This is still a bit arch, a bit theatrical and it's just the style that is more subjective.

"We're going to have fun with it. When I look at my films, what I see most is me learning to use the pencil, if you know what I mean. They say John Ford made, what, 250 flicks? I made 15. I don't have all them tricks in my pocket yet. It's one of the things that keeps me going when I have an idea that I'm hungry for. You got to find something. I guess it's why fishermen keep fishing."

No, Romero is not in a dire state. He appears revitalized by the new surroundings and that even his most obscure films have found a second life on DVD.

Before returning to the set, Romero reflected fondly when asked, about the television program where he got his first break: Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. He once shot the educational shorts that Fred Rogers showed on his "Picture, Picture" machine.

"We made little movies like How Do They Make Light Bulbs? or something about wheels. That was my first job. It was anything that came into Fred's head, including Fred Rogers Gets a Tonsillectomy."

He laughs. "Now that's one of the more frightening films I've made."

Special to The Globe and Mail

Undisclosed
    AHA beaten to it !!! bummer ..anyhow I have it linked on DEAD-CENTRAL.COM as well ....
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

Lord Howe Island

agreed..

Quote Originally Posted by scotty Boy View Post
    Im quite liking the poster. Apart form the RIP and i think the font of the title can do with something else. Otherwise im cool with it
    not great, but better than the "Land" one....

yeppers..
    War to the knife...the knife to the hilt.
    The end is f*cking nigh!!!