Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good/bad convention guests.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    Anyone know what's up with Savini then? I see a lot of people posting about that. Did he have a bad fan experience at some point?
    good question. convention stalker perhaps? maybe he has gotten sick of being asked the same 5 questions by people over and over again.

he seemed like a nice guy way back but now he has a personality that could curdle buttermilk.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Anyone know what's up with Savini then? I see a lot of people posting about that. Did he have a bad fan experience at some point?
    Savini was a huge convention draw back in the 80s when he was active in make-up effects. He was the only Dawn of the Dead-related guest that you could ever hope to meet amidst the seemingly endless parade of Star Trek actors at the large NYC-area conventions. I can recall Savini holding court among hundreds of fans during a live demonstration of bloody bullet hits.

Now it's all about autographs at conventions. The "wow" element of actually meeting the people behind the films is lost, and nobody is impressed by live make-up demonstrations anymore--not when they can take photos with half-naked "scream queens" instead. I really couldn't blame the guy if he has in fact become disillusioned with the whole thing.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 30-Jan-2008 at 07:23 AM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodietheSlayer View Post
    BAD
    Kevin Nash

i guess u caught him on a bad day,usually he's REALLY cool. i met him and he was like the nicest guy

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    good question. convention stalker perhaps? maybe he has gotten sick of being asked the same 5 questions by people over and over again.

he seemed like a nice guy way back but now he has a personality that could curdle buttermilk.
    Strange. If you ever get a chance take a look at Savini's old Letterman appearances where he shows off props/demo make up effects. He's laughing and really enjoying himself..

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=7752
    Posts #14 and #21 shed some light.
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 31-Jan-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Strange. If you ever get a chance take a look at Savini's old Letterman appearances where he shows off props/demo make up effects. He's laughing and really enjoying himself..

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=7752
    Posts #14 and #21 shed some light.
    thanks. i just read those posts and the thing about his daughter is way out of line and i can see why he would get pissy about that.

seems i am onto something with whole asked the same question thing. i thiink we would all get tired of that - especially from fans who are supposedly familiar with our work.

sucks about his life savings. i didn't know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Now it's all about autographs at conventions. The "wow" element of actually meeting the people behind the films is lost, and nobody is impressed by live make-up demonstrations anymore--not when they can take photos with half-naked "scream queens" instead. I really couldn't blame the guy if he has in fact become disillusioned with the whole thing.
    you have hit on the head the very reason i no longer spend my time or money going to these things. when i was a teenager in the 80s one of these things was the coolest place a horror fan could be.

now it just t'aint the same.
    Last edited by Mike70; 01-Feb-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United Kingdom
    For UK based fans Tom is chalked down as a guest at the London Film And Comic Con which takes place on the 19th and 20th of July. I'll be going to get my DOTD one sheet signed, and I'm very much looking forward to meeting him.
    Greg Nicotero is also chalked down to appear too.

Cheers.
    Ritchie.
    Last edited by Ritchie; 05-Feb-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Undisclosed
    Just got back from Chiller this weekend. Add Tom Towles, Silvia Collatina, Bill Forsythe and Cathy MacColl to the good list.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    Just got back from Chiller this weekend. Add Tom Towles, Silvia Collatina, Bill Forsythe and Cathy MacColl to the good list.
    For God's sake add John Amplas to the 'Good List', and put NOLD's Gary Streiner at the freakin' #1 spot!

You may say that I'm biased, but I'm positive that Gary now holds the world's record for the longest time spent talking to a single fan. While it was not uncommon to see people hanging out at his table for 20 to 30 minutes regardless of whether or not they bought a damn thing, the crème de la crème must have been when I was away from the table for awhile only to return to find Gary speaking with the guy behind NOLD Reanimated. And then they continued speaking for another 45 minutes!

Granted, these events are about business or else it wouldn't be possible for them to exist. But regardless, a convention guest that doesn't view the fans as walking twenty-dollar bills is a bonafide rarity in this day and age, folks.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 22-Apr-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    For God's sake add John Amplas to the 'Good List', and put NOLD's Gary Streiner at the freakin' #1 spot!

Granted, these events are about business or else it wouldn't be possible for them to exist. But regardless, a convention guest that doesn't view the fans as walking twenty-dollar bills is a bonafide rarity in this day and age, folks.

Gary's great! For those of you who missed Chiller don't miss Gary at any future appearances.

Undisclosed
    Can't wait for you guys to meet Judith Ridley, she is going to the top of your good list. She is such a nice person.

Undisclosed
    Add Joan Severance to the "good" column. I met her at Chiller a few months ago. I was wearing a shirt with the Constitution Party logo on it, and she took notice and asked for links to their website. She told me that she was halfway through Glenn Beck's latest book, too. Conservative celebrities are great--especially when they're as hot as her.
    Last edited by Purge; 06-Apr-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    She told me that she was halfway through Glenn Beck's latest book, too.
    Awesome! Next Chiller I'll wear my "GLENN BECK is a FAGGOT" t-shirt, which should be a shoe-in for a free autograph.

Undisclosed
    For the greatest total group of people from the Classic NOTLD. This was the best group ever collected ever. No jerks among us.

http://www.thelivingdeadfest.com/web...t?opendocument

Joe Unitas and Bill Mogush also showed up. And for some reason I think I'm leaving someone out.

Show up for them this year. Oct. 1st & 2nd

The Ultimate Night of the Living Lead Reunion!!~

Gary
    Last edited by gary; 06-Apr-2010 at 01:09 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodietheSlayer View Post
    Here is my list

GOOD

Bill Hinzman
    Michael Berryman
    Tom Sullivan
    Sid Haig
    Debbie Rochon
    Garth Ennis (PREACHER writer)
    Terry Moore (another comic writer)
    Ken Foree
    Kyra Schon
    Robert D'Zar

BAD

Tom Savini
    Kevin Nash
    Kane Hodder

At least, in my personal experience

Man, I'd LOVE to meet Roddy Piper...always been a BIG fan.
    Kevin Nash? damn, that is disheartening. What was your experience?
    Tom Sullivan, Greg Nicotero, and Lori Cardille are the three best guests I have come across. Savini has always been a dick.

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Don your pics are amazing.
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP