Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the remakes are DOOMED to fail!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    Romero saga is about ART. Even LAND, the most "modern" Dead flick he made ('til now), is imbued with esthetical reasons and an unique "sense of art" only the master can display.
    The dead films are hardly art in any other sense than film itself by fiat. I love the first 3 films by Romero, but I couldn't keep a straight face calling them the work of a great Auteur.

As fun as the films are; they're still low-budget B Grade zombie films which the success has depended on cult level fandom. Romero is no longer the master of the undead genre; he lost that title when Land was plopped down in front of us like a pile of steaming crap.

-

On one hand; I concur. Leave the titles of those films alone; and make your own take. But then we have Savini's NIGHT which is more than competent and worthy and Zach's kick ass DAWN. If we followed the path of not remaking them, we would not have these gems.

On that note; even the newer DAY remake (With Ving) is looking capable of making us smile. Remakes ? Bring em on. Without them we would not have Aliens, T2, The Mummy, The Last of the Mohicans, The Thing, The Thin Red Line, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Scarface, Cape Fear, The Departed ....

Is anyone really upset at the idea of Rob Zombie's Halloween ? I'm relishing it.

-

Cronenberg's best film is The Dead Zone

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    Is anyone really upset at the idea of Rob Zombie's Halloween ? I'm relishing it.
    There are films people should just leave alone. Halloween is one of them. So thank god Rob Zombie is handling it and has made the whole Halloween remake thing acceptable. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Sid Haig better be playing Loomis!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    dawn.... gem?.....i didnt know gems smelled like the set of debbie does dallas...

films that are considered art are for the most part b grade indie films that people dont appraciate for years after they come out.........

so far night dawn and day fall into that catagory if you ever see lists of most influencal or frightining movies you will find at least 2 of the 3 main trilogy from gar on the lists.

Art in every field is the same not apprciated when it is created but after it is forgotten and rediscovered thats when people see it for what it is.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    The dead films are hardly art in any other sense than film itself by fiat. I love the first 3 films by Romero, but I couldn't keep a straight face calling them the work of a great Auteur.

As fun as the films are; they're still low-budget B Grade zombie films which the success has depended on cult level fandom...

On that note; even the newer DAY remake (With Ving) is looking capable of making us smile. Remakes ? Bring em on. Without them we would not have Aliens, T2, The Mummy, The Last of the Mohicans, The Thing, The Thin Red Line, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Scarface, Cape Fear, The Departed
    Romeros Zombie films succes depend on Ground breaking quality that achieved a huge followung other than cult status depite their low budgets.
    Night of The livins dead and DAwn are classics by most standards

Aliens, T2, are sequels
    The Last of the Mohicans, The Thing are both adaptaions of books/Stories
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Romeros Zombie films succes depend on Ground breaking quality that achieved a huge followung other than cult status depite their low budgets.
    Night of The livins dead and DAwn are classics by most standards

Aliens, T2, are sequels
    The Last of the Mohicans, The Thing are both adaptaions of books/Stories
    Of course of course; I'm not sure where I was when I added Aliens and T2 to the 'Remake' list; too many threads, too many forums ....

Still, Mohicans and The Thing is nit-picking. Those are remakes of films that just happen to be based on books. Tit for tat I think.

I would never dispell the status of the dead films being classic's; still Low-budget B-Grade horror that survives in Cultdom and I stand by my original quote that these films are hardly the work of an autuer. Art by fiat, yes. Art by definition ? That's another thing all-together.

United States
    The major factor seems to be the quality of the script. So many sequels are well funded, have great F/X, a good director, the original cast, but suffer from a poor story.

A few more great sequels for your list

The Empire Strikes Back
    The Road Warrior
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    The major factor seems to be the quality of the script. So many sequels are well funded, have great F/X, a good director, the original cast, but suffer from a poor story.

A few more great sequels for your list

The Empire Strikes Back
    The Road Warrior
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    True.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."