Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the remakes are DOOMED to fail!

Undisclosed

Why the remakes are DOOMED to fail!

Okay,

I think all 4 Dead Movies (the tetralogy, soon to become a pentalogy) are really the MIRRORS of the years in which they were carefully produced and released. Not because the social satire, not because that! I'm talking about the STYLE, the "FEELING", the GROOVE you're going to breath from these movies.

The only successful attempt to cope with the remaking issue was Savini's movie ---- it was a very good take, in all regards, but on the other hand there was the EXCELLENT, superb 'DAY OF THE DEAD' to depict a "proper" Eighties Dead flick. So, summing it up, Savini's movie was good and eye-candy, more "visual" than the classic, but still unnecessary.

Romero saga is about ART. Even LAND, the most "modern" Dead flick he made ('til now), is imbued with esthetical reasons and an unique "sense of art" only the master can display.

Leave ROMERO alone. Leave his Dead movies alone. Try a new concept --- think about it!
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Undisclosed
    Any feedback?
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Undisclosed
    I generally thought that sequals and remakes were only created because the original was good and or successful (except LOTR for obvious reasons) that is generally the reason why sequals and remakes are rarely as good as originals because the 1st movie was an ORIGINAL concept the sequal being the same concept but diffrent situation.

there are a few sequals i can think of that were equal if not better then the original

Terminator 2
    Aliens
    erm....

I though FLY 2 was badass...theres something about a mans head being squashed by an elevator which really appeals to me (but then again the special FX director of the first directed the sequal so its bound to be gory being that this is his area of expertise)

PS sorry for mentioning LOTR in a GAR forum I hope i will be forgiven
    Your ignorance is exceeded only by your charm, Captain. How can we expect them to behave if we act barbarically ourselves

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyFarm View Post
    I generally thought that sequals and remakes were only created because the original was good and or successful (except LOTR for obvious reasons) that is generally the reason why sequals and remakes are rarely as good as originals because the 1st movie was an ORIGINAL concept the sequal being the same concept but diffrent situation.

there are a few sequals i can think of that were equal if not better then the original

Terminator 2
    Aliens
    erm....

I though FLY 2 was badass...theres something about a mans head being squashed by an elevator which really appeals to me (but then again the special FX director of the first directed the sequal so its bound to be gory being that this is his area of expertise)

The only reason Hollywood makes sequels is to make money. Just liek you said. Its not about making a quality movie but making money. Now Romeros movies were successful because he made them for he has a passion for movie making. He does not make movies to market happy meals at McDonald's. lol

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyFarm View Post

Terminator 2
    Aliens
    erm....

While the elevator scene is what most people remember about Fly 2, this was the only redeeming moment for me. Luckily, I found this exchange transcribed online:

(Meeting with Stathis Borans, now a bitter, crippled recluse)
    Martin Brundle: "I saw you on a videotape. You were there the night my father died; he was working on a cure."
    Stathis Borans: "That's why you dragged yourself all the way out here? To find out about a cure?"
    Martin Brundle: "You're my only hope."
    Stathis Borans: "Ah. Oh, kid, the last thing I am, is anybody's hope. You really don't want to hear about this."
    Martin Brundle: "I have to know."
    Stathis Borans: "Brundle stole my girl, your mother. Got her pregnant. Caused her death. Dissolved my hand and my foot with fly vomit! I had no love for the man. He bugged me! As for the 'cure' he was working on: he dragged your mother kicking and screaming into that telepod, that they might be fused together in one beautiful body. So your mother blew his brains out with a shotgun. There's your 'cure'. Go away."
    Beth Logan: "You bastard! Where's your compassion?"
    Stathis Borans: (chuckles) I had to give it up; it cost me an arm and a leg!"

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubaker View Post
    (Meeting with Stathis Borans, now a bitter, crippled recluse)
    Martin Brundle: "I saw you on a videotape. You were there the night my father died; he was working on a cure."
    Stathis Borans: "That's why you dragged yourself all the way out here? To find out about a cure?"
    Martin Brundle: "You're my only hope."
    Stathis Borans: "Ah. Oh, kid, the last thing I am, is anybody's hope. You really don't want to hear about this."
    Martin Brundle: "I have to know."
    Stathis Borans: "Brundle stole my girl, your mother. Got her pregnant. Caused her death. Dissolved my hand and my foot with fly vomit! I had no love for the man. He bugged me! As for the 'cure' he was working on: he dragged your mother kicking and screaming into that telepod, that they might be fused together in one beautiful body. So your mother blew his brains out with a shotgun. There's your 'cure'. Go away."
    Beth Logan: "You bastard! Where's your compassion?"
    Stathis Borans: (chuckles) I had to give it up; it cost me an arm and a leg!"
    Classic dialogue. The Fly 2 wasn't so bad actually, I remember feeling really bad when the Stoltz put his dog down.

Undisclosed
    I absolutely LOVE 'FLY 2: The Insect Awakens', I think that Stoltz would have pulled off more great roles in his career if given the right chances (long time before Michael J. Fox, he was actually casted as MARTY McFLY --- ironic name, isn't it?). He's an excellent actor ('KILLING ZOE' comes to mind, even better than all the Tarantinos movies filmed prior 'KILL BILL').
    FLY 2 is a solid and unforgettable milestone of my childhood. Martin Brundle was a compelling character.
    I don't know why everyone out of this board hates this gem.

I love the whole "metamorphosis" concept depicted in the movie, and Martin's mutant abilities so "comic-bookish".

Glad to see you people are so close to my tastes!
    Last edited by The Alive Man; 28-Nov-2006 at 10:43 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    I absolutely LOVE 'FLY 2: The Insect Awakens', I think that Stoltz would have pulled off more great roles in his career if given the right chances (long time before Michael J. Fox, he was actually casted as MARTY McFLY --- ironic name, isn't it?). He's an excellent actor ('KILLING ZOE' comes to mind, even better than all the Tarantinos movies filmed prior 'KILL BILL').
    FLY 2 is a solid and unforgettable milestone of my childhood. Martin Brundle was a compelling character.

I love the whole "metamorphosis" concept depicted in the movie, and Martin's mutant abilities so "comic-bookish".

I liked the fly 2. though it Wasn't called The insect awakens when it came out.
    Killing Zoe was OK, better than Resevoir Dogs? No way Jose. And Kill Bill was boring as hell and anything with Lucy Liu is a turdily turd pile.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States

*Shrugs* I'll give Fly 2 the benefit of the doubt and watch it again. I've only really seen it two or three times in the past ten years or so.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubaker View Post
    *Shrugs* I'll give Fly 2 the benefit of the doubt and watch it again. I've only really seen it two or three times in the past ten years or so.
    Don't expect too much. It's quite inferior to "The Fly". It's decent for maybe one or two watches, but the viewer generally walks aways saying "ehh".

Undisclosed
    THE FLY is a masterpiece. I like FLY 2 because it manages to be somehow adventurous without loosing its sci-fi edge.

capncnut
    THE FLY is a masterpiece.
    The Fly may well be a masterpiece but it's far from Cronenberg's best movie. Still undecided about that one really, it's either Shivers, Videodrome or Existenz.
    Last edited by capncnut; 30-Nov-2006 at 07:54 AM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    The Fly may well be a masterpiece but it's far from Cronenberg's best movie. Still undecided about that one really, it's either Shivers, Videodrome or Existenz.

SCANNERS changed my life. Greatest sci-fi/horror/thriller movie ever.

Banned User

United States

I love The Fly and The sequel. I also loved scanners. Scanners is one of my all time favs!

Undisclosed
    Cameron Vale approves.