Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most iconic Dead movies...

Undisclosed

The most iconic Dead movies...

... in your view.

Not your favourite ones, or the best. Just the most popular among the "casual viewers".

Mine:

1- Romero's 4 movies (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )
    2- Return of the Living Dead
    3- Re-Animator
    4- Shaun of the Dead
    5- Dawn of the Dead 2004
    6- Braindead (is this popular, after people discovered Jackson?)
    7- 28 Days later ( Not a ZOMBIE MOVIE)
    8- Evil Dead ( Not a ZOMBIE MOVIE)
    9- Michael Jackson's Thriller (ehm).

Did I left out something?
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

United States
    I would submit that most "living dead" related pieces of entertainment are not popular at all among the "casual viewer". The only two that I think the "casual viewer" even has a recollection of after the initial viewing is the "Thiller" video, seeing as Michael Jackson is one of the best-selling artists of all-time, and that video usually comes in at Number One on most lists of "greatest videos ever", and the "Return" series, as the gutteral groan of "braaaaiiinnnns" is easier to remember for the masses than subtle commentary about consumerism in America.

Dawn 2004 might come in third (last) on my list, but only in the short term, seeing as it is still relatively new, and still shows up in HBO rotation. In a few more years, the "casual viewer" will forget about it too.

Undisclosed
    Philly,

You're right, of course, even if I doubt that RETURN had such impact.

Maybe I would re-pose the question:

The most popular ones among the "casual horror buffs"?
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    Philly,

You're right, of course,
    Of course. Good to see that you are catching on quick around here!

Undisclosed
    Philly,

You're da man! Eheheheheh LOL!

United States
    Philly,

You're right, of course, even if I doubt that RETURN had such impact.
    I don't know if you could say that all the time. Philly has a lot of good points but he also has a few questionable views...

*cough*Day/Land*cough*

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitreya View Post
    I don't know if you could say that all the time. Philly has a lot of good points but he also has a few questionable views...

*cough*Day/Land*cough*
    A few? That's only one......

The whole thing about that discussion that I found most interesting was this......many (most) people diagreed with my overall main point, but were not responding to my specific posts supporting that point. I was making some excellent arguments supporting my position, but most people were not responding to those arguments, they were simply saying that my overall point was wrong. Even if I was wrong in my overall point (which I admitted that I could be several times), that doesnt mean that all of my supporting points were wrong, they werent. But most people ignored what I was saying, choosing instead to disagree with my main point, and using "beating dead horses" metaphors.

Undisclosed
    Philly, don't go off-topic... let's wait for more feedback!

Undisclosed
    Most people would probably know "Night" and less would know "Dawn". I doubt 1 in 10 would know "Day" even existed.
    "You should only die once, not everyday"

- Wise 7/11 manager

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by NHT Dead View Post
    Most people would probably know "Night" and less would know "Dawn". I doubt 1 in 10 would know "Day" even existed.
    I wouldn't be so quick there bro. A lot of the random people I've bored on the subject of the Dead series over the years seem to know Day over the other three.

Something like: "Day Of The Dead? I think I saw that. Isn't that the one where that dude gets pulled apart at the end?"

United States
    I still say that the average casual movie viewer would only know "braaaaainnnns" in relation to living dead movies. The original Return of the Living Dead came out in the theaters at about the same time as Day did, and "Return" killed (no pun intended) Day in box office. They play the return movies on HBO, Cinemax, etc, every once in a while, they never play Day of the Dead.

Undisclosed
    ... but DAY OF THE DEAD is regarded as a cult classic even more than RETURN. Then, it seems to me that DAY is far more popular worldwide, while RETURN isn't (IMHO). If you come here in Italy, people know DAY or at least have some tainted reminiscences about it ("Il Giorno degli Zombie"). I heavily doubt that the same could happen with RETURN, which is just a "movie-goers affair".

United States
    ... but DAY OF THE DEAD is regarded as a cult classic even more than RETURN. Then, it seems to me that DAY is far more popular worldwide, while RETURN isn't (IMHO). If you come here in Italy, people know DAY or at least have some tainted reminiscences about it ("Il Giorno degli Zombie"). I heavily doubt that the same could happen with RETURN, which is just a "movie-goers affair".
    I thought that your original question was about the "casual" movie viewer, not a hardcore fan. Yes, Day is regarded as a cult classic, by the hardcore fans. The casual viewer doesnt give a rats ass about it. You say Day is a cult classic even more than Return, I dont even think Return is a cult classic. The main reason that the hardcore fan even cares about that is because it is a zombie movie, and Russo (with a direxct lineage to Romero) had a hand in it, so it is noteworthy, but of course the hardcore fan thinks Day is superior. But the casual fan cares very little about either one. Just like the difference between the serious student of national politics, and the casual TV viewer. The hardcore politico knows the issues, and each candiadates views on it, and what they have said about it in the past. The casual TV viewer hears the most current soundbite, and that is all they remember, which is why politicians try to churn out soundbites more often that going into great detail about their views. The casual movie viewer remember the "soundbite" of Return "braaaaains". The hardcore fan realizes that Romero's movies are better in general for many different reasons.

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnSpaulding View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick there bro. A lot of the random people I've bored on the subject of the Dead series over the years seem to know Day over the other three.

Something like: "Day Of The Dead? I think I saw that. Isn't that the one where that dude gets pulled apart at the end?"
    When I was younger I was only familiar with Dawn. I could not even remember the name of the other two till a few years ago.

Undisclosed
    Of course, 'ZOMBI' was a tremendous hit here in Italy.
    Last edited by The Alive Man; 15-Nov-2006 at 11:24 AM.