Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: does Land kinda blow?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylefuller88 View Post
    futhermore i hated the fact that wen it finished the zombies walked away while if u were a zombie and everything was done then u keep eating
    Couple this with the fact that Big Daddy never ate anyone, and it truly makes you wonder about Diary...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    http://www.homepageofthedead.com/vbb...read.php?t=168

By the way...I like your avatar of Marty Feldman. Funny guy.
    Indeed, that thar is a long ass thread.

Now, my tuppence on Land. Indeed, I must rewatch it again (seen it a few times now) and it is indeed a very dark film ... perhaps more visually dark than thematically dark - Day of the Dead, now there's a thematically dark zombie movie.

As for Land - plain and simple - some people were expecting too much or expecting different things after 20 years between Day and Land. All of GAR's films have flaws and downsides due to the circumstances of their production, but I maintain that Land of the Dead is a kick ass film.

I had such a blast getting to see it opening night (UK - LAST place on the planet, except for the countries that banned it, to get it), I had so much fun watching it and it had been a while since I'd seen a GAR flick which caused me to have that much fun.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    Couple this with the fact that Big Daddy never ate anyone, and it truly makes you wonder about Diary...
    So what's the point? He's the leader, the big boss. He doesn't need to prove to be a Living Dead... he's just there to kick some living ass...

Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    Zombie out for revenge? Oh please! He did not even eat anyone and that is a zombies primary instinct, the need to feed! And yes all the actors were overly exposed. The only actor I feel that actually fit his role was john lenguzamo.
    I don't agree. 1) their "instinct" should be taken with a grain of salt... they can avoid it, since some functions of the brain activated themselves again 2) REVENGE ???!??? Ah yes. Cool. 3) the actors were fantastic. Nothing compared to Simon, but enough good.
    Last edited by The Alive Man; 03-Dec-2006 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

United States
    Couple this with the fact that Big Daddy never ate anyone,...
    He ate something. Dick. Buckets and buckets of dick.

Did you see the actors write up on imdb. He ahas like a billion credits. I thought he was new because he was so stupendouly lame/

Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    3) the actors were fantastic. Nothing compared to Simon, but enough good.
    Dude, get off the pipe. I bet you even the great god Baker has his doubts about his dubious "talent".
    Last edited by coma; 03-Dec-2006 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    Nothing compared to Simon, but enough good.
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Dude, get off the pipe. I bet you even the great god Baker has his doubts about his dubious "talent".
    Yeah, same goes for me too man. All this Baker butt-slurping is beginning to disturb me!
    Last edited by capncnut; 03-Dec-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    I was disapointed in Land. I guess because I waited so long for Romero to make another dead movie that it couldn't possibly ever live up to the hype of the previous three movies. My expectations were high (I mean REALLY high) for Land and after going to the theatres and seeing it three times, and after purchasing the unrated DVD and watching it another twenty-five times, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Say what you want, but Land is definitely no Night, Dawn or Day.

It's a mediocre offering from an exceptional writer/director/creator of the modern zombie genre. Romero is still top dog in my book though. I just hope Diary delivers where Land failed.
    Last edited by Chaos; 03-Dec-2006 at 08:14 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I was disapointed in Land. I guess because I waited so long for Romero to make another dead movie that it couldn't possibly ever live up to the hype of the previous three movies. My expectations were high (I mean REALLY high) for Land and after going to the theatres and seeing it three times, and after purchasing the unrated DVD and watching it another twenty-five times, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Say what you want, but Land is definitely no Night, Dawn or Day.

It's a mediocre offering from an exceptional writer/director/creator of the modern zombie genre. Romero is still top dog in my book though. I just hope Diary delivers where Land failed.
    Like you, I was disappointed with Land after the first couple of viewings. But after a few more, I came to think that it is in fact a worthy GAR dead movie. There may have been a few things I wish were different....OK quite a few things, but still, all things considered, I think it is a good movie. Welcome to the board, btw.

United States
    So what's the point? He's the leader, the big boss. He doesn't need to prove to be a Living Dead... he's just there to kick some living ass...
    Um...whatever, jerkoff.

Back to the topic at hand; Even more than the Loooooooong wait that set a build-up for LAND, let's not forget that we had finally been granted the ultimate cock-tease...A budget! Romero+Good Budget=Great Movie! Right?

Wrong. What a waste. Take out the price of the talents like Hopper and Leguizamo and give us the no-names we're used to. Spend that money on bribing Savini to come back...just come back for one more, Tom...

Undisclosed
    LAND = supreme masterpiece.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes Land blows.

Land is everything a Romero film shouldn't be

It is too polished. (This is more the blame of film stock and todays film processing technology), but still to polished nonetheless.

Romero never threw his social commentary in your face like he does in Land. It was hidden int he cintext of the film. That film was so blatant it was painful to sit through.

LAND was too soft. His previous work was always gritty, edgy... But in LAND it was predictable. The biggest annoying factor is Big Daddy. He is the Jar Jar Binks of the Romero Zombie saga, and quite possibly one of the most annoying horror monsters to ever grace the silver screen. Tis a shame really. The script had so much promise.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    The biggest annoying factor is Big Daddy. He is the Jar Jar Binks of the Romero Zombie saga, and quite possibly one of the most annoying horror monsters to ever grace the silver screen.
    , so true man, so true.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Romero never threw his social commentary in your face like he does in Land. It was hidden int he cintext of the film. That film was so blatant it was painful to sit through.

LAND was too soft. His previous work was always gritty, edgy... But in LAND it was predictable. The biggest annoying factor is Big Daddy. He is the Jar Jar Binks of the Romero Zombie saga, and quite possibly one of the most annoying horror monsters to ever grace the silver screen. Tis a shame really. The script had so much promise.
    The commentary was quite thicker than usual in Land, but you say that it wasn't "in your face" in the other movies? Are we watching the same Dawn78 or are you still slobbing Dawn04's knob? Dawn's commentary is in your face.

I agree with the Jar Jar comparison, but you call the movie predictable. I hear alot of people talking about it being predictable but then they go on to protest the "They're just looking for a place to go" scene. If it's so predictable.....shouldn't that have been predicted and not such a pain in their arses? Not saying you were one of these people, by the way. "It just popped in there".

Undisclosed
    if Jar Jar Binks Would Have Been Like Big Daddy, Then Lucas Should Be Regarded As A Real Genius, And Not Like A Capitalistic Jerk.

Big Daddy Rocks. And His "intelligence" Is Scary And Mysterious.

The Gore In The Movie Is Top Notch...

... And Above All...

... Everything In The Movie Is Great, From The Social Commentary (which Is Not So Much Evident Like You're Bubbling) To The Screenplay, From The Atmosphere To The Characters.

Stop The Bitching.

Land = Supreme Masterpiece.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dude, there's no need for the size 458,372 font.

I like Land. I think it's a pretty damn good movie and a nice side piece to the original three. But to call it a masterpiece is kinda silly. It's no masterpiece.....but it is a good movie.

And the thing about Big Daddy. Big Daddy was a great idea and could have ultimately been a great character. I think even DJ would agree with that. The problem is that the actor who played Big Daddy(Eugene Clark) doesn't seem to quite have a handle on the character and took it a bit over the top. The idea that Romero had was golden, though.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Dude, there's no need for the size 458,372 font.

If Big Daddy was Jar Jar...then that makes the whole Dead Reckoning Team the ewoks, yes?