Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: does Land kinda blow?

Super Moderator

UK
    Land is no masterpiece, it's flawed - but it's still a great movie. Romero may lay on the commentary a smidgen too thick, but Dawn is layered in big greasy dollops of consumeristic commentary.

I like Big Daddy, Clark didn't nail the character, but I like Big Daddy nonetheless ... calling him Jar Jar is a bit too much though in my opinion. Big Daddy doesn't have a Jamaican accent or big floppy ears ... and Big Daddy eats people for a living ... Jar Jar got in the way and was a professional CGI puppet. (I don't mean "professional" in terms of technical execution).

The original 3 movies are held in such extremely high regard by so many, they're on a pedestal - it's hardly surprising some folks were disappointed. But Land still did well.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    The commentary was quite thicker than usual in Land, but you say that it wasn't "in your face" in the other movies? Are we watching the same Dawn78 or are you still slobbing Dawn04's knob? Dawn's commentary is in your face.

I agree with the Jar Jar comparison, but you call the movie predictable. I hear alot of people talking about it being predictable but then they go on to protest the "They're just looking for a place to go" scene. If it's so predictable.....shouldn't that have been predicted and not such a pain in their arses? Not saying you were one of these people, by the way. "It just popped in there".

I shall clarify, and yes I still slob DAWN 04's knob because between Land and DAWN 04 DAWN 04 is the better film.

While both films have there really STUPID MOMENTS

Dawn 04(dumbass girl going after the dog)
    Land (Big Daddy's constant howling, Simon Baker's comment just let them go)

DAWN 04 just outshines Land in the overall entertainment category. However, Big Daddy and dumbass comments aside I recently re-watched LAND and I am beginning to WARM up to it more. Will my opinion change over time... probably, maybe, I dunno but as of right now LAND has too many faults to let it succeed as the clear winner of the two films.

I did say Land was predictable and in that it was pretty cut and dry that it would be a Romero gore fest which i felt distracted the audience. It seemed like every 15 minutes the zombies were eating someone... I don't need to be shown insane amounts of gore like LAND had. The Most effective and shocking use of gore Romero ever had was in DAY of the DEAD. The kills were not only violent, but shocking. Nothing in Land during the zombie attacks were shocking it was pretty cut & dry. The predictability was that you knew they would find the truck, the zombies would get in the city etc etc.

The only unpredictable moment was Riley's dumbass comment at the end and it wasn't a comment to make you think about the zombies.. it was a comment to make you think... What kind of a f**king moron would let them go? When he said that line any respect I had for the film diminshed quickly over that one stupid line. However, I had little respect because Big Daddy just annoyed the hell out of me and completely ruined the whole film.

Other issues I had was... They showed nothing as far as a fight against the zombies. When they invaded the vehicle facility don't ya think with all those weapons they could have put up a better fight. I mean these are trained military people and they lost the battle in 20 seconds... what kind of bullsh!t is that. You can scream they panicked all you want, but if you have lived ina zombie infested world for 3 years don't ya think you would have grown a tougher skin in that time. I mean you know what it takes to take'em out... Just handle your business.

What made me cringe the most was the dumbass who jumped out of the lookout tower during the zombies initial invasion of the facility. I mean you're 20 feet in the air why in the hell would you jump out. You would have a better chance of fighting them off staying in that tower.

Land just has too many stupid moments to let it pass as an acceptable horror film. Night DAWN and DAY never had stupid moments like this, why all of a sudden did Romero lower the bar?

Anyway, sorry to rant on, but I really wanted to clarify what I meant as predictable.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    i was just as stoked about Land coming out as anyother fan,i followed the progress for about a year from when i heard romero was just starting the script and although i will say that it was an interesting movie and with the exception of dennis hopper and john lenguzamo they didnt cast the lead with over exposed actors but a couple things did bug me:

1) i didnt like gas station zombie his screams were terrible and show the dead how to shot humans instead of eating them?
    (i dont like my zombies smart)

2) this is the capper i truely thought the beginning was going to do a quick timeline starting frm the begining maybe even showing clips from the first three movies i thought the beginning was 2 short and not dark enough!

anyone with me on these?

Kinda blow? No, not kinda, it blows. I know the feeling of reservation you got there as a fan. I had it at 1st too. But then I came to grips with it and went with my gut. The movie simply blows.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    if Jar Jar Binks Would Have Been Like Big Daddy, Then Lucas Should Be Regarded As A Real Genius, And Not Like A Capitalistic Jerk.

Big Daddy Rocks. And His "intelligence" Is Scary And Mysterious.

The Gore In The Movie Is Top Notch...

... And Above All...

... Everything In The Movie Is Great, From The Social Commentary (which Is Not So Much Evident Like You're Bubbling) To The Screenplay, From The Atmosphere To The Characters.

Stop The Bitching.

Land = Supreme Masterpiece.

STOP SLOBBING ROMERO's KNOB... Go watch Night Dawn and Day and tell me LAND is a masterpiece. Big Daddy's uber intelligence wasn't scary int he sense of frightening... it was scary because how could a filmmaker like Romero completely destroy a saga with something as stupid as Big Daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Dude, there's no need for the size 458,372 font.

I like Land. I think it's a pretty damn good movie and a nice side piece to the original three. But to call it a masterpiece is kinda silly. It's no masterpiece.....but it is a good movie.

And the thing about Big Daddy. Big Daddy was a great idea and could have ultimately been a great character. I think even DJ would agree with that. The problem is that the actor who played Big Daddy(Eugene Clark) doesn't seem to quite have a handle on the character and took it a bit over the top. The idea that Romero had was golden, though.

When i read the script Big Daddy was this evil and un-relenting corpse whom from just reading the script was terrifying, the final outcome was a joke. I mean it was just plain bad and I blame both the actor and Romero. i can't possibly see what he thought was good about any of Eugene Clark's acting to warrant keeping him on the whole movie.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 04-Dec-2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    When i read the script Big Daddy was this evil and un-relenting corpse whom from just reading the script was terrifying, the final outcome was a joke. I mean it was just plain bad and I blame both the actor and Romero. i can't possibly see what he thought was good about any of Eugene Clark's acting to warrant keeping him on the whole movie.
    I already watched the whole saga, many thanks.

LAND is a masterpiece, I stand by my opinion, man.

BIG DADDY was played by Eugene extremely well, and please... ZOMBIES are not supposed to be evil... they are supposed to be what they are... time for some homework, man.

You're all off-track, sorry.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    I already watched the whole saga, many thanks.

LAND is a masterpiece, I stand by my opinion, man.

BIG DADDY was played by Eugene extremely well, and please... ZOMBIES are not supposed to be evil... they are supposed to be what they are... time for some homework, man.

You're all off-track, sorry.
    bwahaha. "You're all off-track"? Are you kidding? In the very same post that you type "I stand by my opinion, man.", you tell people they're off track??

Wow....we're off track because our opinions don't perfectly match yours.

I'm not trying to pick on you here, dude. I like Land....I've liked it from the first viewing I had at the local theater. You may think that it is perfect and that's your opinion and that's cool....but just think about it. There's really no such thing as a perfect film. There are minor flaws in universally accepted films like "The Godfather" or "Lawrence of Arabia". It's a part of it.....there is no perfect film.

Undisclosed
    Bassman,

I'm not saying LAND is perfect. I'm saying that it's a masterpiece. Masterpieces are not perfect.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Masterpiece:
    1. An outstanding work of art or craft.
    2. The greatest work, as of an artist. Also called masterwork.
    3. Something superlative of its kind: a masterpiece of political ingenuity.

So you're saying it's his best work?

I wasn't implying that you believe it's perfect....but to call that a masterpiece is very strange. Remember, I like it......but it's no masterpiece. At this point, I would say that Romero's masterpiece is either Night or Dawn.

But then again...this all boils down to opinion so it's neither here nor there.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    The only unpredictable moment was Riley's dumbass comment at the end and it wasn't a comment to make you think about the zombies.. it was a comment to make you think... What kind of a f**king moron would let them go? When he said that line any respect I had for the film diminshed quickly over that one stupid line. However, I had little respect because Big Daddy just annoyed the hell out of me and completely ruined the whole film.
    I thought that was stupid. If he cared at all about the residents he would try to kill the "smart" zombies to protect them from more attacks. Big Daddy was the motivatior and without him they would just be standing around.
    What I really hated was that they shot the fireworks off in the end "we dont need em anymore" What?
    The opnly zombies immune to it would be the ones that saw it a million times. Zny Zombies in other cities would have a desired effect.

Alive man, if you still have only seen the Argento Dawn Cut and not the Thatrical , you have NOT seen all the films. Like what you want. I liked Land but it aint no masterpizza.
    Last edited by coma; 04-Dec-2006 at 09:21 PM.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    To me DAWN theatrical is Romero's Masterpiece. Nothing he has made to date tops that film
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    My favourites are DAWN and LAND. I'm here because I absolutely love both to death. I don't dislike DAY, because it's a very good entry in the saga and, well, NIGHT is the supreme classic so I respect it. NO NIGHT = NO LIVING DEAD. I like either NIGHT and DAY, of course, but to a much lower degree than DAWN and LAND.

I must say that Riley's "dumbass comment" towards the end of the movie is CINEMATIC POETRY and no, I'm not joking here, it's really my favourite part of the WHOLE SAGA.

I'm actually saddened by all the criticism and the negative "vibe" of this board towards LAND, a work of passion and genius. At first, I believed this board was PRO-LAND; mine must be like the biggest miscalculation ever.

Well, don't know... in my mind LAND is a mysterious, brilliant and marvellous horror/action movie which will find a new fandom in the next decades... I'm saddened the most of THIS fandom will not support it but: wait a moment! pure genius is always misunderstood.
    Last edited by The Alive Man; 04-Dec-2006 at 11:36 PM.

United States
    Oh, there are alot of folk here that are PRO-Land. The problem is, this was all hashed to death, defended to an early grave long before you came here. The only people that still want to discuss it are those that were disappointed with it.

There is little doubt that decades from now, LAND will achieve a better status than it currently has. This tends to be true of most horror films. It takes that long to develop a true cult following.

Land is not a masterpiece in my eyes. It is an entertaining movie, but not the film that I was hoping for.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post

There is little doubt that decades from now, LAND will achieve a better status than it currently has. This tends to be true of most horror films. It takes that long to develop a true cult following.
    even now i dont find dawn '04 as crap as when i first saw it.

but seriously, yelling at people for not agreeing with you?

takes all sorts i spose.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    Land is not a masterpiece in my eyes. It is an entertaining movie, but not the film that I was hoping for.
    My sentiments exactly. I wish all people would realise that the good parts in Land far outweigh the bad.

United States
    Yeah, Capn'. That's pretty fair.

To be honest, while LAND did not meet my hopes, like MZ, I was just grateful to finally have a new Romero film to view. And, perhaps it did exactly what it was intended to do; respark my interest in the original movies.

There are just as many bad parts to the other films in the series. While DAWN seems to be the board favorite, I found the middle of the movie to be one of the most boring things I had ever watched. Likewise, DAY had too many whacky characters for me to get as involved in as NIGHT and DAWN.