10 43.48%
  • Extended Version

12 52.17%
  • European Version

1 4.35%

Thread: Some advice on giving the best 1st impression of Dawn of the Dead

Undisclosed

Some advice on giving the best 1st impression of Dawn of the Dead

One of my friends has never watched Dawn of the Dead (can you believe it?) but is interested. Which version should I drop on him? The theatrical version? The extended version? Or the european version? Each has their strong points, so, outside of editing my own cut with every scene intact(which I'm too lazy/inept to do)...which version should it be?
    Last edited by Adolf Kitler; 20-Nov-2006 at 04:02 AM.
    "Move over, boys. I'm one of the gang now." - Mantan Moreland

United States
    go with the director's cut or the extended version, can't really go wrong there

capncnut
    I voted the U.S. theatrical version as it's the one I grew up with. It has better music and a much tighter pacing than the other two. The extended version is a pretty close second but the Euro version was just awful. Did Argento know what he was doing with that movie? I mean, it's nice to see the additional scenes but the true meaning of the movie was lost in violence. On top of that, the overusage of the Goblin soundtrack was annoying and some of the 'newer' tunes were just plain crap.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    I voted the U.S. theatrical version as it's the one I grew up with. It has better music and a much tighter pacing than the other two. The extended version is a pretty close second but the Euro version was just awful. Did Argento know what he was doing with that movie? I mean, it's nice to see the additional scenes but the true meaning of the movie was lost in violence. On top of that, the overusage of the Goblin soundtrack was annoying and some of the 'newer' tunes were just plain crap.
    Very Much in Agreement on that. Extended cut is my fav now only because I saw the theatrical many, many (many) times first. Argento cut is stricctly for the fans like a badly recorded bootleg of a good band.

You don't want to turn someone off and Theatrical is the proven edit.

A lot of people think they have sen dawn, but then they say "brains" and you know they haven't
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Put's on Jimmy Car voice: "Extended version ... obviously"

United States
    if it's YOUR friend, then you likely have similar tastes. Show them your personal fave, and hope they are content with that. After, duct tape them to the largest piece of furniture you own, and have them watch the other two, just to be safe.

Sheesh..newbies, you have to tell them EVERYTHING! As if duct tape wasn't the obvious answer to any problem...

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Argento cut is strictly for the fans like a badly recorded bootleg of a good band.
    Very accurate comparison there.

United States
    Extended version for me!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Another good reason to show Theatrical is that if he totally geeks out on it, you tell tell him about the Longer extended cut and he'll geek out twice.
    I anwered Theatrical also because if he hasn't seen Dawn than he probably isn't a horror head, so shorter might be better.

I showed Dawn to a girlfriend once and she said" God this is sooo stupid". Match made in heaven...not
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Okay...looks like the U.S. Theatrical version wins out. Thanks, guys!
    "Move over, boys. I'm one of the gang now." - Mantan Moreland

Undisclosed

one more!

Dawn is something a true fan discovers on his or her own,if you have to throw it in someones face they probably have ignored it their whole life,just my thoughts!

but i say give them the theatrical experience!

Undisclosed
    Theatrical!!!!!!

Goodness Gracious!!! Anytime you intro a newb to Dawn, you have to show them the Theatrical. It is the preferred version of the man himself.

Not only that, but it certainly is a more tighly edited film and the soundtrack is far superior than the other two versions.

I agree with the bootleg comparison on Argento's deal. Its cool to see some of the stuff you don't get in the T or C versions, but it isn't a very good film on it's own. I don't think Dario "got it"!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Undisclosed
    Wow, I am the only one who likes Euro-cut best? I am more a fan of italian/euro cinema anyways.

THe one thing I disliked about the euro-cut was that it took alot of character development out.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    I showed Dawn to a girlfriend once and she said" God this is sooo stupid". Match made in heaven...not
    i did that
    but she said something like " Zombies are awesome , but robots are slightly cooler. You know like the Fonz always just barely out cooling Elvis."

damn robots
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach