Thread: Network help request....

Undisclosed

Network help request....

Anyone who is skilled with computer/network issues I would really appreciate help....Either guidance in where to go to get help....or if you know of some things I can do to address the probelm for further troubleshooting efforts....

Background Information:
    This probelm became noticible after the purchase and installation of a new wireless router. But... I am pretty sure the probelm existed before with our D-Link Cable Router... I think that we are noticing it more now because when we first started using the D-Link router our expectations were low and we had not had the opportunity to hear of others experience with cable and routers...
    Old Network Specifications:
    Modem Toshiba PCX2200
    D-Link Router with four computers connected to it....
    Current Newwork Specifications:
    Modem Toshiba PCX2200
    Linksys Wireless Router... four computers connected via cables one via the wireless....

Okay the probelm:

On our network we get very frequent apparent "signal drops" to all the computers. When this occurs if one were to check the router&modem the flashing indicator lights would all signify normal operating function. Despite this indication of normal function all computers in the network (wireless and wired) cannot connect...
    Usually this is noticed when my brother yells from upstairs...."Are you connected?/Did you just lose connection?"... and I respond "Yeah I dont have a connection/Yeah you too huh?"...

Usually after a certain amount of time passes we will all reconnect at the same time and normal functions will begin again (even though throughout the issue the router/modem showed no change in function)....

Sometimes the delay till we reconnect is unbearably long...and if we flick the surge protector power switch (that supplys both the router and modem) as soon as the modem "boots" up normal function begins immediately.... Even in the cases where the "signal droppage" is short if we flick the power switch of the surge protector on and off normal function returns as soon as the modem "boots" up....

When our cable service is actually down the indicator lights on the modem do signify that there is no signal coming in and other lights inform one of what one would expect to see if the service was down....

My instincts are that it is either a modem probelm...or maybe a service probelm...

A modem probelm because the router doesnt seem to be the issue since the indicator lights say normal function is happening....Also because upon rebooting the modem/router normal function returns immediately....

Im a little more skeptical of the service being a probelm since the modem says its getting information back and forth....

Im hesistant to try and solve the probelm first through calling the cable company...because if they deem that its a hardware probelm and not their service they will charge us....

So anyone got any ideas....?....or need further information to help me....

PM me or respond?

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Undisclosed
    Here is a troubleshooting tip. Try plugging the modem directly into one of your computers. If your service drops you will know that your problem is the modem.
    Just because the lights on your router are right doesn't mean that it's working properly. I bet you have a flakey router.

Undisclosed
    Actually on doing some further research it turns out my whole region is effected with numerous reports of similiar probelms....

Mostly the only people noticing it are "gamers" or are online frequently....

Apparently Cox is in no rush to fix anything...because they have a monopoly on the area...Why bother spending money adding additional nodes and splitters ...etc when the costumer has no other choice....
    so if we want broadband we only have one choice and one choice only....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!