View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • GAR's movies take place in the same universe, and the same timeline

16 43.24%
  • GAR's movies take place in the same universe, but different timelines

16 43.24%
  • GAR's movie take place in the same timeline, but different universes (Is this even possible?)

2 5.41%
  • GAR's movies take place in different universes and different timelines

1 2.70%
  • There is a multi-dimensional thing going on (The Alive Man, vote here!)

2 5.41%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GAR Dead Films - Universe and Timeline

United States

GAR Dead Films - Universe and Timeline

I have searched online at various dictionary sites to find definitions of the terms “universe” and “timeline”. They vary from site to site, and don’t necessarily relate directly to universe and timeline in regards to a series of movies. There have been discussions on this board, recently and in the past, in regards to these two terms in relation to GAR’s dead movies. Members here seem to have different ideas as to the very definition of these terms, and how the GAR films fit into these definitions. In this thread, I would like to offer what I think the proper definitions are, and how I think GAR’s films fit into them. I would be interested to see how many members agree with me, and if they don’t, how they define the terms, and their thought on how the films fit into them. I would think that there would be less disagreements as to the definition and more disagreements as to how the films fit, but we shall see.

UNIVERSE – This term is used to define the rules of the world/scenario that exists with a film, or series of films. Most films are made/set within the “real universe”, meaning the world in which we live now. A romantic love story, for example, is set in our universe, meaning the characters in the movie live on planet Earth, there are countries like the United States and England, gravity exists, we use money in exchange for goods and services, etc. It exists in the real universe. Could characters from these types of movies interact with each other? Yes, they could, if they were to meet. Other films are set in universes different than our own, sometimes with minor differences, sometimes major. The Friday the 13th movies for example are set in a universe very similar to ours. Everything is the same, United States and England exist, gravity exits, etc. with one difference: there is a guy who can not be killed, can walk as fast as others can run, he kills people and then cleverly arranges the dead bodies after the fact, etc. (You could say another difference is that the characters act totally dumber than we do in this universe, but that is a movie technique, not a universe “rule”). Could George Clooney’s character in “One Fine Day” meet up with Jason Vorhees? No, they exist in different universes. Could Clooney meet Clint Eastwood’s character in “The Bridges of Madison County”? Yes, they exist in the same universe. I am not implying there should be a movie showing them meet, only that they could, because they exist in the same universe. The question here is "do the GAR movies take place in the same universe, or different universes?" I say they have to be the same. Gar created a universe that is just like ours, except that the dead can rise and want to attack the living, To say each film exists within a different universe suggest that GAR created 4 different universes, very similar to each other, with minor differences. To answer the question “How come the cemetery zombie from Night moves so fast, but in Dawn, none do?” is either answered by saying it was imperfections in the movie making process, or that GAR purposely created separate universe. What do you think?

TIMELINE – This term is very similar to universe, but different. It does not mean that a series of movies necessarily follow a certain order in relation to each other, only that they exist in the same timeline. For example, you could have a movie showing the story of Hitler, and another movie looking at a story of what would have happened if Hitler had been killed in the middle of WWII. Both would exist in the same universe, our own, the “real universe”. One would be a movie based on fact, a story we already know, the other would take place in a “different timeline”, one in which Hitler would be killed, and how that would affect the timeline of events that follow. It would still exist in our universe, but the timeline would be different. The fact that events that did not happen are in the movie does not mean it is in a different universe, only that the timeline was changed. Like in Star Trek, if you go back in time and mess with some event that has already happened, it changes the “timeline”, not the “universe”. So in GAR’s films, are they taking place in the same timeline, or not? I say they are. When they happen in relation to the timeline can be argued…. does Dawn take place 3 weeks after Night, or not? Do the events in Land happen after the events in Day, or not? Does Land take place three years after Night, or not? These questions are open to interpretation. But to suggest that the films take place in different timelines would mean that it is possible that after Night ends, the zombie plague could in fact end right there, and the world would return to normal, and that in Dawn, that is a whole new epidemic that has nothing to do with the events in Night. This would mean that GAR decided to start a new timeline with each film, and that new “rules” would exist in each film, and that imperfect movie making techniques are not the cause of minor differences. Which do you think is the case?

Banned User

United States
    I amswered "GAR's movies take place in the same universe, but different timelines'' Well I found this one very hard to answer. I feel Night, Dawn, Day are in the same Universe but I can not say the same for Land. Just the whole feeling of Land and the mood of the movie seems to be more of a Universal "Hollywood hoopla'" thing and does not carry the same mood the other movies had. I do not know how to explain myself better. sorry

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Where is the "It is of no relevance to the plot" vote? otherwise I vote same universe, but different timelines. Different takes on what an outbreak could cause but the films do not share a timeline.

Night and Dawn might take place in the same timeline. But they don't take place in the same one as Land.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 26-Nov-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    "GAR's movie take place in the same timeline, but different universes (Is this even possible?)"

That's one way of putting it. Like Romero says all the time, these are different characters, different stories. Night at the beginning......Dawn days or weeks into it, Day a few more weeks/months, Land a few years. They happen at different points on the timeline of the epidemic, but the stories and characters are unconnected. I just voted that because, well, none of the choices really suited me.....I guess you could say same timeline, same universe, parallel dimension where the timeline starts a bit later in each one.
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by radiokill View Post
    "GAR's movie take place in the same timeline, but different universes (Is this even possible?)"

Like Romero says all the time, these are different characters, different stories. Night at the beginning......Dawn days or weeks into it, Day a few more weeks/months, Land a few years. They happen at different points on the timeline of the epidemic, but the stories and characters are unconnected.
    That is true, they are not connected to each other as far as relating to each other in the storylines, however, the characters from any movies existing in the "real universe" are not connected to each other either, yet they still exist in the same universe. Just like Philly_SWAT and radiokill...we have no relation to each other, yet we exist in the same universe.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Yeah...that's why I don't really think of it as a different Universe....I just decided to pic that one because of the same timeline bit.....I go back and forth on how I think about it actually. Whatever I'm in the mood for. I most often look at with the James Bond effect in mind (what was that called again?). So however you would say that....same universe, same timeline, but the characteristics of the present decade continue to change. Each film is like making a new painting in a series on a different medium. However, the changes in medium are a bit of a necessity for GAR.

oh...I didn't read the choices good...that was the first one!!!!!
    Last edited by radiokill; 27-Nov-2006 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

capncnut
    Although I believe Land was set in the same timeline and universe, I had to choose the Alive Man option. Hell, it's the only vote he's gonna get and I'm an 'underdog' kind of guy!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by radiokill View Post
    Yeah...that's why I don't really think of it as a different Universe....I just decided to pic that one because of the same timeline bit.....I go back and forth on how I think about it actually. Whatever I'm in the mood for. I most often look at with the James Bond effect in mind (what was that called again?). So however you would say that....same universe, same timeline, but the characteristics of the present decade continue to change. Each film is like making a new painting in a series on a different medium. However, the changes in medium are a bit of a necessity for GAR.

oh...I didn't read the choices good...that was the first one!!!!!
    LOL. I was wondering why you didnt pick the first one. Very well said about a new painting on a different medium. I think I will steal that line.

United States
    i don't get the whole different universe scenario. you mean like how land of the lost was in a different universe? or would that be a different timeline?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    LOL. I was wondering why you didnt pick the first one. Very well said about a new painting on a different medium. I think I will steal that line.
    lol...thanks! feel free.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by creepntom View Post
    i don't get the whole different universe scenario. you mean like how land of the lost was in a different universe? or would that be a different timeline?
    Well, are far as you know, in the "real" universe that we exist in, would an earthquake, even the greatest earthquake every known, drop someone down a 1000 feet below where dinasaurs and sleezstacks roam? If not, then Land of the Lost would exist in a different universe.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    to quote shaun "uhh.... the first one"

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    GAR's movies take place in the same universe, but different timelines.

... and are based on seperate outbreaks, purely for story telling purposes ... but to be honest, i don't think that everyone will fully understand either the question or the options.

Undisclosed
    I'm a professional sci-fi writer and really never, and I mean N-E-V-E-R, had to deal with such confusion about scientific terminology and the related pseudo-scientific/sci-fi concepts. You guys are messing-up 60 years of sci-fi, really, I'm not joking.

NO WAY.

ONE "GIVEN" UNIVERSE FEATURES ONE AND ONLY ONE "GIVEN" TIMELINE. UNIVERSE = Space/time continuum. "Continuum" as consequencial and coherent sequence of events placed in the same "space". So, the word "Universe" doesn't only imply a space characterized by given parameters (either similar or different from the parameters ruling "our" universe to various degrees) but also, and I mean also, one coherent timeline.
    ONE COHERENT TIMELINE.
    A parallel universe can't truly contain MORE slightly/heavily different timelines (WHAT?), but only ONE timeline, slightly/heavily different from "ours" (Universe Prime, or Earth Prime, as the Tv show 'Sliders? used to call that).

ERGO: MORE TIMELINES, MORE UNIVERSES. MORE "SIMILAR" TIMELINES, MORE "SIMILAR" UNIVERSES (= Parallel Universes, or Alternative Realities).

Thus, the second and third assumptions of the poll don't make sense whatsoever and I'm still laughing, in all regards.
    Last edited by The Alive Man; 27-Nov-2006 at 10:20 AM.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    ONE "GIVEN" UNIVERSE FEATURES ONE AND ONLY ONE "GIVEN" TIMELINE. UNIVERSE = Space/time continuum.
    That would be up to the author of the story which uses the timeline. Not the readers, really.

A quick way to explain it is Back to the Future 2, where Doc provides a basic explanation in less than 30 seconds. There, it's the same universe but different timelines.